Accepting Unfunded Offer to Masters Program

ilikebears

Have you accepted an unfunded offer  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Have you accepted an unfunded offer to a Masters program?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what people's opinions were about accepting an offer for an unfunded Masters program? More specifically in the field of Urban Planning/Design. I didn't work as hard as I could have in my undergrad so I already knew I wouldn't get a funded offer. I know if this was a PhD I would probably be crazy to accept an unfunded offer.

I don't mind having to pay my way. As long as I make myself more competitive in my field. Have a lot of people on this forum accepted an unfunded offer? Am I crazy? I know that a lot of schools are cutting back due to the recession and people not donated as much money, etc. I'll definitely work my fanny off to make the cut for 2nd year scholarships.

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edited by ilikebears

If this is the only school you have right now and aren't bent toward just reapplying next year, then I guess it makes sense to go through with the unfunded MA. I didn't get a completely funded MA but the program had offered me 1/2 tuition readmission plus two RA positions. However, this was a lower ranked MA program, other prestigious programs I got accepted to offered no funding, so I had to turn them down. So if you still have choices, I'd say go with the funded MA.

I applied to Canadian universities, where Master's programs are usually funded (especially in the sciences and engineering). I absolutely would NOT have gone to grad school unless I got a decent funding package. It's simply not worth it to me to go into debt for my degree and I wouldn't want to attend an institution that did not think I was worth their money (I think it would have a psychological effect on my self worth)

It's hard to say. I only applied to one Masters program (not in the USA) and received full tuition plus living stipend. Had it not been funded, I would not have been able to accept. That being said, I know the Masters programs in the USA offer less funding. When it really comes down to it there are several things I would take into account: if this is the ideal program for you and your interests, whether you think you would receive a better offer if you apply during the next round of admissions, whether the school offers any teaching assistants or project assistantships that you may apply for once you are already admitted, if you still have loans from undergrad and what the repayment schedule would look like once you add on loans (if you plan to take them out) for your Masters program.

Thanks for the responses. I just realized there were other posts created about this same topic too. So sorry for making a new post.

I was initially going to apply MLA programs where I probably would have gotten some funding but I decided it would be a very bad move on my part I got accepted to a thesis program that will allow me to do the research I want on my terms. Another selling point for me was the cost of tuition. I'll probably only go $5000 to $10000 in debt for 3 years which is amazing for me. There are also research assistance positions and then in 2nd year TA positions that I have the opportunity to participate in. The RA opportunity is the big thing for me.

I was going to wait to apply but there are no guarantees when applying as we all know. I don't want to take that gamble (even though I know I'd get in). I also have a managable existing student debt load. This was the only school I applied to for many reasons. The only other program I saw like this was at Harvard in their design school. And that was too expensive (I'm from Ontario, lol I put Spacecity, Mars) and I'm not interested in an Ivy school.

I all ears for more responses. Thanks again. I know that 2nd year will have more opportunities so I'm happy with my decision. Okay I'm getting excited again.

Edited by ilikebears

I was accepted without funding to my program. I decided to go anyway since it was the only place I applied and I couldn't really leave my current location. Everything worked out fine though. I took a loan out for the first semester, but then I was able to secure at TA position for the second semester (which qualified me for the free tuition and a stipend). I will have another TA position this Fall. There are no guarantees for the semester after that though, we will have to wait and see.