Speech-Pathology Grad School

Flyers413

Hi guys, I need some advice. I'm applying to grad school for Speech-Language Pathology in the fall. I got a 1020 on the GRE, my GPA is a 3.37 but I have made the Dean's List the past two semesters. I was a TA for a teacher in the field, and also am involved in research with two other professors. I am involved with a new club at my school, Operation Smile and have a leadership position. I also have a minor, Human Development and Family Studies. Please let me know what you think regarding graduate school. Taking time off to higher my GPA isn't really an option; I need to get started right away. Are there any schools that seem like they'd fit the bill and accept me? PLEASE help!! Thank you =)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe research and being a TA are highly regarded - Find a school that reviews all applications, not just ones that are above a certain cutoff point. You might have an edge because of everything you are involved in. Focus on writing an impressive letter of intent.

• 1 month later...

From what I've seen, research and experience at least vaguely related to the field are all really good. I have seen a lot of people post acceptances on here that have even lower GRE and GPA scores. I wish I had more experience!

• 3 weeks later...

You're wasting your time if you think graduate work in speech pathology is the key to success. I too got sucked into that irreversible vortex of exuberance and excitement when I got that email from the University of Redlands in April of 2010 offering me a spot in their grad communicative disorders program.

At first you think the world is yours for the taking. Then, slowly, you realize that speech-language therapy is a complete farce. You start to see that no one has bothered to publish anything in that ASHA publication questioning if therapy even works!

kurt

You're wasting your time if you think graduate work in speech pathology is the key to success. I too got sucked into that irreversible vortex of exuberance and excitement when I got that email from the University of Redlands in April of 2010 offering me a spot in their grad communicative disorders program.

At first you think the world is yours for the taking. Then, slowly, you realize that speech-language therapy is a complete farce. You start to see that no one has bothered to publish anything in that ASHA publication questioning if therapy even works!

kurt

What is it about the field that is unsatisfying for you? This is the first I've heard of anyone saying anything negative about the field, so I'm a little surprised. Can you elaborate on what you mean exactly, i'm just curious!