Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

BTW is there some sort of community award we can nominate StrangeLight for? I mean SL has been so freaking awesome w/all the knowledge they've been sharing with us. It is so great to have someone who has been through this offer their insight. Teach us more!

Awww...I try to go to the UCLA status update page and it won't connect. :( Boo. By the by- good morning! I'm going to try to be more vocal on here because the pup is doing well (and the older one is having way more patience with the new pup than we all are with waiting on apps! :) ).

So- who brought the coffee?

Awww...I try to go to the UCLA status update page and it won't connect. :( Boo. By the by- good morning! I'm going to try to be more vocal on here because the pup is doing well (and the older one is having way more patience with the new pup than we all are with waiting on apps! :) ).

So- who brought the coffee?

Me! I am getting jacked up on caffeine and transcribing documents for my thesis. And lurking about here. Good morning!

I feel like we should do something to commemorate the last day of January. It's been a long, bumpy road getting to February (especially the waiting), and like C&C, I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. I didn't expect it to grow to almost 70 pages before decisions even really started. :)

I feel like we should do something to commemorate the last day of January. It's been a long, bumpy road getting to February (especially the waiting), and like C&C, I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. I didn't expect it to grow to almost 70 pages before decisions even really started. :)

Very carefully? And I brought juice ... can't do coffee ... sowwee ... and I think we'll be @ 70 the end of the night!

Also, I spent a lot of time last night looking at stats of acceptances; I was stunned by the number of people with 800 GRE scores!

I was just doing the same thing...I think I am formally changing my prediction of a few days from 3 admits, 4 rejects and 1 waitlist, to 7 rejects and 1 waitlist...

I do not know if the manic-pessimism is justified or not, but it seems to fit my feelings pretty good...

I know- I've gotten zero rejections and my 8 schools have a total of 1 admit so far (according to the board), but still its just a sinking feelin' right now in the pit of my stomach...

PS: Note the change in screen name- RIP ADMITedlyLucky!!!

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'

A professor at my school who is on the committee there said that GRE scores dont really matter in the grand scheme of things: it is only used as a cut off when there are applicants that are equally strong in everything else. I don't know if that is just for this particular school, but I assume it's pretty close to the same reasoning, especially if there are people that get accepted with scores below 700 (verbal).

A professor at my school who is on the committee there said that GRE scores dont really matter in the grand scheme of things: it is only used as a cut off when there are applicants that are equally strong in everything else. I don't know if that is just for this particular school, but I assume it's pretty close to the same reasoning, especially if there are people that get accepted with scores below 700 (verbal).

I've heard the same thing - I also think a lot of the 800s on the results board are quant scores from people in the sciences and related fields. The math on the GRE is so easy that a super high quant score is pretty much required for those programs.

How does one navigate to this page?

http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/applicat.htm and then click on the link on the bottom of the screen. That is when it won't connect today. Usually, you get to a page on which you enter your email address associated with your application.

Still not up, though.

Edited by A Finicky Bean

In honor of the last day of January, I would like to join the ranks of delukers. Mostly because it was really nice in the wee hours of the morning to see that I wasn't the only one using my insomnia to reload my inbox. (thanks, DukeLover.) So, you know, I'm paying it forward in the hopes that my craziness will be able to provide calm for someone else. Or something.

In any case, hello, nice to meet you, I hope we study vastly different things. :P

In any case, hello, nice to meet you, I hope we study vastly different things. :P

Welcome, and me too :P But judging by your signature, I don't think we'll have a problem.

In other news, our whole computer system was down at work. So boring. I just want to get through the rest of January quick, quick quick!

Edited by Kelkel

In honor of the last day of January, I would like to join the ranks of delukers. Mostly because it was really nice in the wee hours of the morning to see that I wasn't the only one using my insomnia to reload my inbox. (thanks, DukeLover.) So, you know, I'm paying it forward in the hopes that my craziness will be able to provide calm for someone else. Or something.

Welcome Wendy.

The problem with gradcafe is that it self-selects for the most conscientious and invested applicants, I think. It is pretty intimidating to see, but at the same time it's extremely reassuring to see that many of the very best applicants in history programs (judging not just by GRE/GPA/POI but by the interviews and acceptances already proferred) are just as, if not more, neurotic than I am. This place is a double-edged sword for sure.

Still no news, though I've found that I get out of bed quicker these mornings when it occurs to me that I should check my email.

Silly thought of the day: "I wonder if any of the other applicants have taken to stalking thier POIs yet? If not, should I get a jump start on this and be a trend setter?" Then I remembered stalking is a felony conviction in most places and will never be socially acceptable even for a neurotic grad school applicant. Quel dommage!

Thethoughtsandviewsexpressedinthispostarenotmeanttobetakenseriously.Theyarethethoughtsofamanwhoistryingtogetthrougharoughperiodsopleasecuthimsomeslack.

Still no news, though I've found that I get out of bed quicker these mornings when it occurs to me that I should check my email.

I've been doing this as well, but to no avail! I'm hoping one day soon I will wake up and there will be good news there to surprise me :) Until then, I'm looking into some plan B options and trying to finish my capstone paper. Why isn't this paper serving as a better distraction? Sigh....

Wall, there's a UC Irvine acceptance up on the big board now. Congrats to whomever that is! (I vaguely remember saying something about UCI... was it an acceptance? Remind me and I'll congrats you better).

Edited by Kelkel

Got a really really really good (and unexpected) email from my POI at one of my top choices (the one that nominated me for the fellowship). No official offer for a week, but wanted to let me know that the prospects look very good. AHHHHH.