Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Well as it is the end of the business across Amurrica, let us all take a deep breath, and prepare fore the potentially super freakout of next week ... looking your direction SL ... I bet you can't WAIT to find out which of us will be your future colleagues

As things are clearly heating up heading into next week, I offer sincere congrats to those who have been blessed with good news, sincere sympathies to those beset with bad news, and sincere hope for all of us on the remainder of our apps...

If I am right, no one on this board is out of the game yet, right??

And for those who have agonized at the silence and hope-and-despair of hearing nothing, join me as we sing with John,Paul, George and Ringo:

"Still my inbox gently sleeps."

Perhaps, we can all take comfort in the fact that none on this board will ever script the e-mail I just received from one of my students who felt compelled to advise me: "regarding the paper we have to due, I have know idea what to write about..."

Haha I love the Beatles reference. So I'm taking you as well heard nothing today from the great UW-M?

And in other news (and in a similar fashion as to what happened with you), I found out NU is a no-go for me. :( Big sad-face. Oh well. They get like 600 applicants so it was a really long shot, and it wasn't my first choice anywhoooo.

I should probably go watch something ridiculous now. Laughing is good for the soul.

Haha I love the Beatles reference. So I'm taking you as well heard nothing today from the great UW-M?

And in other news (and in a similar fashion as to what happened with you), I found out NU is a no-go for me. :( Big sad-face. Oh well. They get like 600 applicants so it was a really long shot, and it wasn't my first choice anywhoooo.

I should probably go watch something ridiculous now. Laughing is good for the soul.

Aw, sorry to hear this. Do you mind if I ask how you found out?

I'd like to know how you found out too, Lms.

600 applicants? Man, hope they put me out of my misery quick then...

I know that my POI said that applications were up like 30% from last year, and they're able to accept even fewer students than last year, so it's really bad this round.

Awww, Kelkel. But you do have an acceptance for Miami, with funding, no? That's an accomplishment! Don't be discouraged. I'm sure you're a competitive applicant, or else you wouldn't have been awarded that. I know, it's easier said than done. But really, you must be doing something right.

I know! But it's a masters only, and while there are pros and cons to getting one first, my dream is to go straight into a PhD.

I'm afriad that with so many applicants, I'm sure everywhere, that we'll all see those letters, "While your application was very as very competitives, we cannot offer you admission. Only 10% blah blah blah."

I think I'm being realistic. Though it's not to say that I feel 100% doomed on the PhD front. So we'll see.

Awww, Kelkel. But you do have an acceptance for Miami, with funding, no? That's an accomplishment! Don't be discouraged. I'm sure you're a competitive applicant, or else you wouldn't have been awarded that. I know, it's easier said than done. But really, you must be doing something right.

This is true. Kelkel, you are obviously awesome if you just got a funded offer to Miami.

Don't throw the towel in quite yet. You may be one of the lucky ones for NU, but it is true about the cut on spots and the rise in applicants.

I know! But it's a masters only, and while there are pros and cons to getting one first, my dream is to go straight into a PhD.

I'm afriad that with so many applicants, I'm sure everywhere, that we'll all see those letters, "While your application was very as very competitives, we cannot offer you admission. Only 10% blah blah blah."

I think I'm being realistic. Though it's not to say that I feel 100% doomed on the PhD front. So we'll see.

I can understand how you'd be disappointed about the PhD prospects. But still, just make sure you take time to celebrate getting a funded offer (!!!) to a great program, where you can earn an MA, and then use it as a springboard into a fantastic PhD program! And that's just your backup plan, if nothing else works out!

Goldielocks, do you know if Hogwarts are still accepting applications? :)

Up 30%, seriously? That's really a huge number, especially that this recession (or, are we in recovery?) has been going on for a while that oit doesn't matter whether you go to grad school or find a job. Either way is tough.

Kekei, I recommend that you pick up that hard-copy of your acceptance to Miami and sleep with it under your pillow tonight. Hold onto that very tight and cherish it. You truly deserved that acceptance and funding. Just think about it- a real chance to do your MA and then go onto your PhD without any debt! (like some of us...). StrangeLight would say exactly the same thing.

Also, there's really nothing wrong with a MA. I really think that the MA gives you a chance prep for the PhD so you are much better prepared academically, emotionally and psychologically. I don't know if I can do well in a PhD program if I didn't go for my MA first, now that I look back.

Well, TMP, I'm still waiting to hear back from Hogwarts, but my fingers are crossed that you get an owl soon.

Also, Kelkel: ditto what TMP is saying about the MA. I'm doing an MA! It's the best decision I could have made! :)

WQ

A funded master's is hardly losing out on your dream. Just one step along the way.

Also, there's really nothing wrong with a MA. I really think that the MA gives you a chance prep for the PhD so you are much better prepared academically, emotionally and psychologically. I don't know if I can do well in a PhD program if I didn't go for my MA first, now that I look back.

I really can't express to you how happy I am to see you post this.

I was also accepted to Miami and offered an awesome funding package and I am personally pretty excited about using the next couple of years to improve my writing and languages- not to mention I really admire 2 scholars I will have a chance to take courses with.

Just to be clear: I was ectastic about the acceptance with funding. I ran around my office and did a happy dance. I'm still happy. I wouldn't have applied to the masters programs if I didn't think they would be viable options.

I will take the opportunity and run if need be, but that doesn't mean I won't be sad if more rejections come from the PhD programs.

Just to be clear: I was ectastic about the acceptance with funding. I ran around my office and did a happy dance. I'm still happy. I wouldn't have applied to the masters programs if I didn't think they would be viable options.

I will take the opportunity and run if need be, but that doesn't mean I won't be sad if more rejections come from the PhD programs.

And that's perfectly natural. It's okay to be disappointed. Just remember (if you get too disappointed) that you have a great alternative.

I really can't express to you how happy I am to see you post this.

I was also accepted to Miami and offered an awesome funding package and I am personally pretty excited about using the next couple of years to improve my writing and languages- not to mention I really admire 2 scholars I will have a chance to take courses with.

So is that where you have decided to go? You didn't hear from anywhere else? I still am stinging from my "subtle" rejection...

So is that where you have decided to go? You didn't hear from anywhere else? I still am stinging from my "subtle" rejection...

I have to say my strength as a human being is humility; I take advice from bright people very seriously.

And literally every person I've ever met says "don't say yes to anything until you've heard from everyone." So, that's what I'm going to do. That said, I'd be thrilled to go there!

I also was accepted to Texas A&M, but with no funding and to Florida State, but they have not sent me any news on funding yet (they said mid March or something).

*I'm sorry about your rejection. As everyone keeps saying "the game isn't over yet!" If you look at the stats for some of the rejections on the survey I think you'll see it is very clear that often times politics certainly plays a role in this game. It's amazing how often someone with great stats gets rejected.

Edited by ReallyNiceGuy

Been only on here for a few days now. Avoided this website because I knew it was more stressful than it needed to be. But I figured I'd give my input for whatever its worth about some things I see people writing..

First, I'm really surprised people are emailing so called "POI"s. I don't want to sound like a jerk at all, thats not my intent. But its only February 3. It seems like those emails would be best served in march when deadlines are tighter and you might need to make more decisions. My opinion: you email a POI asking about the status and they think you just can't wait/need your hand held, which is not how Phd programs run. Again, I'm not accusing any of you of this, but thats what I thought of myself if I did that. If the department wants you, won't they find you. I again only say this based off experience. A prof told me that just because people on here are getting acceptances or rejections doesn't mean anything until you get yours..maybe you'll get waitlisted..etc. Just to reiterate..not trying to be a jerk, just trying to advise that profs are busy people and this process needs to just run itself out.

Second, I see some people talking about MAs. Going into an MA program before applying to a Phd prog is the best decision I've ever made. I have a CV better than 3rd year Phd students I've met. So don't ever feel bad for entering an MA prog over a PHD. Especially if its funded!

It sucks cause we are all vulnerable and fragile after submitting our apps. But lets keep our heads up and let things take their course.

I don't know if anyone has already said this (I've been gone a few hours and, man, this page has added a bit), but here is what I now have for the USC app status page:

"You will receive notification of your admission decision soon via postal mail. Please note that the Office of Admissions provides final decision notifications by letter only. We do not disclose admission decisions via e-mail, telephone, or any other means."

So, there that is. Good luck and check those snail-mail boxes! :)