Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Hi everyone!

I'm the stereotypical long-time lurker, first-time poster. Just wondering if anyone had any more info about Yale. I had an interview, but I haven't heard anything yet - should I assume I didn't get in? :(

Are there are any other Yale interviewees who haven't heard yet?

Also, for those who got accepted, did you all hear around the same time from the DGS? Or through some other means?

I just saw a new Yale acceptance posted on the results survey, and I wondered if people are still continuing to hear.

Thanks everyone!! And, many congrats to those who have been accepted!

Hi everyone!

I'm the stereotypical long-time lurker, first-time poster. Just wondering if anyone had any more info about Yale. I had an interview, but I haven't heard anything yet - should I assume I didn't get in? :(

Are there are any other Yale interviewees who haven't heard yet?

Also, for those who got accepted, did you all hear around the same time from the DGS? Or through some other means?

I just saw a new Yale acceptance posted on the results survey, and I wondered if people are still continuing to hear.

Thanks everyone!! And, many congrats to those who have been accepted!

Volta -- I would encourage you not to give up hope yet! Most of the Yale decisions posted thus far seem to have been posted/mentioned yesterday (Wednesday). I heard about mine this morning (Thursday) from the DGS via e-mail and posted the acceptance this evening -- I don't know if Yale is doing more acceptances, but I also experienced for myself that their acceptance process is, at the very least, not a one-day deal! I hope that you receive good news soon!

Volta -- I would encourage you not to give up hope yet! Most of the Yale decisions posted thus far seem to have been posted/mentioned yesterday (Wednesday). I heard about mine this morning (Thursday) from the DGS via e-mail and posted the acceptance this evening -- I don't know if Yale is doing more acceptances, but I also experienced for myself that their acceptance process is, at the very least, not a one-day deal! I hope that you receive good news soon!

Thank you, virmundi, both for the encouragement and the info!

In my experience, if the emails are coming from the DGS, they tend to come together, whereas if they are coming from POIs, they are more scattered. But, as you mentioned, that yours came on Thursday. So, that gives me some hope!

Thanks again, and congrats on your acceptance!

GloFish, RuPaul and Roxelana: Congrats!!!!!! I would be very, very happy with any of those outcomes. Especially 48 hours in Manhattan, no matter what I was doing :)

Volta, definitely don't give up on Yale. If there is a wait list, and this is pure conjecture, I would imagine that the interviewees that didn't get accepted would be the first to be put on it.

I can't take anymore of these anti-climactic days!!! Yale is the only school I applied to that has even admitted anybody. Blah.

PS: It's nice seeing you guys unlurk. Big, welcoming, good vibes being sent yer way.

Edited by crazedandinfused

For those interested, I heard from a professor at Yale who said that the competition this year was particularly brutal. I don't have any hard numbers unfortunately.

I guess the cut backs from the end of the aughts are still causing the #s to be higher

I guess the cut backs from the end of the aughts are still causing the #s to be higher

Or the resources for putting togeather a good application are becoming more democractized by the information revolution. When my sibling applied for graduate school other than being mentored through the process there was just no way for her to know even how to put togeather an application.

Or the resources for putting togeather a good application are becoming more democractized by the information revolution. When my sibling applied for graduate school other than being mentored through the process there was just no way for her to know even how to put togeather an application.

D**n this ivory spring! I knew democracy was an evil burden that would come back to haunt me ... d**n you Klemenz von Metternich for not stopping it! D**n you Otto von Bismarck! Curse you English Philsophers of the 18th century ... a pox on the Grecian ideal of education being a universal equalizer .... and I think that covers my morning rant! YAY! :)

Edited by oseirus

D**n this ivory spring! I knew democracy was an evil burden that would come back to haunt me ... d**n you Klemenz von Metternich for not stopping it! Damn you Otto von Bismarck! Curse you English Philsophers of the 18th century ... a pox on the Grecian ideal of education being a universal equalizer .... and I think that covers my morning rant! YAY! :)

Wow Y, you really are punchy this week ;)

I think that unfortunately, due to a number of factors ( changes in the academe, changes in the history discipline, the economy, and just the passage of time) the application process just gets harder and harder. I have fabulous mentors who've guided me through the process, but even with all their advice and connections, things change so quickly that applicants are still flying blind to an extent.

At least in this -- the struggle to put together the perfect application and the concern over whether we'll be accepted -- is a worry we all share.

Edited by jlk88

I think after the beginning of next week, there won't be that much going on until March. I know that Emory decisions are coming out soon and I don't know about Harvard, but five of the other schools I applied to won't be giving decisions until early march

I think that unfortunately, due to a number of factors ( changes in the academe, changes in the history discipline, the economy, and just the passage of time) the application process just gets harder and harder. I have fabulous mentors who've guided me through the process, but even with all their advice and connections, things change so quickly that applicants are still flying blind to an extent.

I agree. Its definitely the economy too. Because of all of these factors, I would just be glad to get in anywhere -- I really dont care if i'm fully funded or not. It just seems that no matter how hard you worked on your application or if you're a finalist, whatever, things can change in an instant and that sucks