Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Lots of acceptances today on the results board. Maybe schools have learned that it's impolite to reject on Valentine's Day?

You think a prof from Yale saw the board last year and realized what a huge mistake it was? ;) There's still about 20-80 minutes to go in the business dayat Yale...

Hey everyone...I've been lurking on this thread for a long while, sorry I haven't said anything. Does anyone have any idea when Indiana is going to make its decisions? I've seen several rejections on the results board, but no acceptances for the Ph.D program.

Hey everyone...I've been lurking on this thread for a long while, sorry I haven't said anything. Does anyone have any idea when Indiana is going to make its decisions? I've seen several rejections on the results board, but no acceptances for the Ph.D program.

Well actually there was one singular acceptance posted well before the rejections and MA offers went out. We never did figure out who it was for and the circumstances of the acceptance. Sorry that isn't very helpful, but welcome!

I don't want to clog up the results survey, but for the person who asked "Is there anyone still waiting for reply?" for IU Bloomington - I am. I am now choosing to interpret that as a positive sign.

Lots of acceptances today on the results board. Maybe schools have learned that it's impolite to reject on Valentine's Day?

Vorenus see the above and the probably correct analysis of the situation, although as with all of it, who knows.

Hi Vorenus - and welcome. I agree with maeisenb that it's hard to tell what's going on. I was planning to call yesterday but chickened out/was too busy to stress.

If you really need a fix of information, search this conversation for "Indiana" or "IU". If you're viewing this topic, the upper right hand search bar defaults to searching this conversation. I've used that often when I'm struggling to keep all of the great information spread across this thread's 146 pages (and counting) straight.

I actually have heard from the person who put up the lone PhD acceptance, but I'll PM you with that info.

I actually have heard from the person who put up the lone PhD acceptance, but I'll PM you with that info.

Look at you being all secretive. :ph34r:

I do hope you not hearing means good news though! And not the perilous waitlist.

Sorry, poor form, I know - but I don't want to publicly share info that I'm not 100% sure they're comfortable with sharing yet. If anyone wants the info, just PM me. I'm not a hoarder, I promise! :)

Nah, it's okay. You just make me look like I'm giving out the wrong info, saying we don't know anything about the acceptance when we darn well do! :P

Tell that person congrats, because apparently s/he is one out of ten lucky people!

Speaking of IU, there's a waitlist posted! I hope I didn't curse y'all.

Haha I just noticed that, how ironic. I wonder what's going on over there at IU...this whole process is so mystifying. I was waitlisted there last year on February 14th, so I was hoping for good karma that today would be the day.

Well, I haven't received any emails about a wait list yet, so I don't know... honestly, sometimes I think it's easier to interpret the actions of people hundreds of years ago than the actions of these admissions committees. If those two wait lists would like to share more information (such as who the email was from, personalization, details of email, etc) that would be very welcome.

Haha I just noticed that, how ironic. I wonder what's going on over there at IU...this whole process is so mystifying. I was waitlisted there last year on February 14th, so I was hoping for good karma that today would be the day.

I am the second wait list for IU (medieval one list that is).

The question about how one goes about withdrawing an application (as opposed to declining an offer). You call the graduate coordinator in the department, be very polite, tell them what you would like to do and ask how they would prefer you go about doing it. One or two allowed me to do it just by phone, but several required a formal email, and at least one asked me the terms of the offer I planned on accepting.

I didn't see harm in telling them that.

Oh, and at least one program decided to formally reject me even after I withdrew my application. Always thought that was Madison's way of reasserting control in a break up. Kind of like how the US congress back dated their declaration of war with Spain so that it would appear that they did it first...

Edited by New England Nat

CONGRATS!!! If you don't mind sharing, what's your subfield?

That is amazing news. I hope you go celebrate today!

Thanks to everyone for the congrats. I'm going for American History, mostly immigration and immigration regulations in the 20th century.

So to get back to the original intent of this thread ("chit chat") a bit, what is everyone planning to do this summer? Traveling? Trying to prepare in some way for their first semester of a PhD? Language study? Vacation? A combination of these?

I'm hoping to intern with a yet-to-be decided NGO in Europe, plus do some grammar review for language exams. Some of my friends want to travel around Spain in May as well, so that might happen.

Edited by telemaque

So to get back to the original intent of this thread ("chit chat") a bit, what is everyone planning to do this summer? Traveling? Trying to prepare in some way for their first semester of a PhD? Language study? Vacation? A combination of these?

I'm hoping to intern with a yet-to-be decided NGO in Europe, plus do some grammar review for language exams. Some of my friends want to travel around Spain in May as well, so that might happen.

Interning abroad would be awesome. I'm going to be working as an intern at Amideast in Tunis, Tunisia. My work will be to assist students with their college applications, especially their essays. It's also a good chance to work on my struggling French skills. :)

I'm hoping, among other things, to get a head start on some more readings in my field. Also, I hope to work on my language(s) a bit.

I'll be finishing my MA in late May, so I think a little break is well-deserved :0

Working. Womp womp. In my free time, I will probably be reading and trying to work on my German. Spending time with my boyfriend too. He'll (knock on wood) be off to law school far from where ever I go, so we gotta get those cuddles in!

Working. Womp womp. In my free time, I will probably be reading and trying to work on my German. Spending time with my boyfriend too. He'll (knock on wood) be off to law school far from where ever I go, so we gotta get those cuddles in!

Oooh does he have any idea where he'll be going?

Oooh does he have any idea where he'll be going?

Not yet! He started a new job this month and gets his first pay check tomorrow (his first one in a while). So he's going to apply to the schools he's pretty sure he can get into (LSU for sure, maybe Loyola?). He might also apply to Tulane (that would be ridiculously expensive though). Maybe a few others. I think I'm more nervous for him than me at this point, especially since it's late in the process (but thank goodness for law school rolling admission!).