Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Okay, I just emailed BC about decisions. I keep expecting my rejection to be in the mailbox, but again today there was NOTHING AT ALL. And I know the mail came!

On 3/2/2012 at 11:35 AM, crazedandinfused said:

What is with Virginia?? My app web page is the same as its been for months. I suppose that's a good sign.....

Tomorrow... Florida.... Deep Sea Fishing...... Rum......

That has to be a good sign for you. I was rejected by Virginia last night. Not a big deal for me though because they aren't particularly strong in my period of American History and I definitely wouldn't have gone there.

I just got nominated for an additional fellowship in American Studies at WUSTL. Very excited about this opportunity! B)

On 3/2/2012 at 11:49 AM, taybaxter said:

That has to be a good sign for you. I was rejected by Virginia last night. Not a big deal for me though because they aren't particularly strong in my period of American History and I definitely wouldn't have gone there.

I just got nominated for an additional fellowship in American Studies at WUSTL. Very excited about this opportunity! B)

Congrats! WashU seems like a great program. I don't know why I didn't apply there. I would have loved to work with Bernstein, we are like a perfect match.

Come on UVA, you will totally be amazed and wowed by me and you'll never regret it!

Now I'm really confused - spoke with the History Dept at UConn and was told that absolutely NO decisions had been sent out; that there was one more adcom meeting scheduled for early next week . . .she sounded like she knew what she was talking about - strange . . .

That is really strange. I did receive a general email yesterday morning telling me to check their website to see their decision. Maybe they are not quite done making a decision for some applicants? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

I'm going to consider North Carolina a rejection at this point.

Thus, I believe my application process is done and I can start making my final decisions. Hard to believe all those months of work culminated so quickly. But I'm incredibly happy with my options and pretty much already know where I'll end up.

And everyone here rocks and I'm glad I found this website.

I'm checking in with Indiana applicants as I e-mailed with my Indiana POIs for some thoughts on my own situation.

First, I can stop griping about Indiana. This was definitely NOT made to be.

Second, if you are in EUROPEAN history, better pray very hard as the field itself had only one in the top 20 (first round of offers) and another offer has been made. So only 2 offers were made this year for European history.

I'm checking in with Indiana applicants as I e-mailed with my Indiana POIs for some thoughts on my own situation.

First, I can stop griping about Indiana. This was definitely NOT made to be.

Second, if you are in EUROPEAN history, better pray very hard as the field itself had only one in the top 20 (first round of offers) and another offer has been made. So only 2 offers were made this year for European history.

That makes me feel better at least! Geez. Seems like Euro History is falling out of fashion in some places.

So I broke down yesterday afternoon and sent a delicate email to my POI at UNC. Still no word. This seemed like another bad omen that pushed me further towards completely crossing it off my list. Right when I'm mentally shedding that weight, one of my professors calls me and tells me that she has a contact there who told her that he thinks I'm on the waitlist (he was out of office and going by memory). So much confusion. I wish they would notify.

AHHH!

I was accepted at SUNY Binghamton!!!

Just decided to check the website for the last time today/weekend (it goes down for maintenance Sat and Sun). No info other than "Accepted! Congrats!"

Now I'm really confused - spoke with the History Dept at UConn and was told that absolutely NO decisions had been sent out; that there was one more adcom meeting scheduled for early next week . . .she sounded like she knew what she was talking about - strange . . .

Well, that's just weird because I can definitely confirm that I have received an offer from UConn. I've heard from the DGS and the official website. It may have something to do with the fact that I was apparently nominated for a fellowship. Speaking of which, I did get information on funding from UConn last night. So unless something unexpected happens (like getting off a couple of waitlists or having BU or ND come through) I'm looking forward to Storrs. It's a great fit for me, the funding package looks solid, I think I'll be happy there, and perhaps most importantly, they seem to really want me there.

In a way, I'm glad things happened as they did. Getting rejected from a bunch of top programs first was painful at first, but ultimately humbling. It really helped me put things in perspective. It would have been much worse if the order had been reversed. I feel like I've grown significantly in the past month.

tmp - 1 Europeanist out of 20 at IU is just shocking. And I say that as an Americanist who hopes to benefit from that. :)

May I ask what your special area of interest is? Hopefully it isn't the same as mine ;)

Native American history, so I doubt it lol. And I'm totally on edge about UConn right now. It's my top choice and the only PhD I've applied to, so I'm really hoping for a good result.