Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Guys!!!!!!!!!! I'm in at Stony Brook and they're nominating me for a fellowship which will "enhance considerably the amount" of $ they are offering!

I'm so stoked. I'm on the bus to the airport and I got an email from the DGS and started cackling and flailing about. I then apologized to everyone on the bus and they smiled at me. Super happy!!

And congrats Twist of Fate!!!

Congrats!!!!!! Such great news! Congrats to everyone who has received good news over the last week, I haven't checked in as much because I've also been visiting schools. Back home for a few days until I'm off again :)

Guys!!!!!!!!!! I'm in at Stony Brook and they're nominating me for a fellowship which will "enhance considerably the amount" of $ they are offering!

I'm so stoked. I'm on the bus to the airport and I got an email from the DGS and started cackling and flailing about. I then apologized to everyone on the bus and they smiled at me. Super happy!!

And congrats Twist of Fate!!!

Congrats crazedandinfused!!! When I saw an acceptance posted on the result board I guessed it was you, and yeahhh I was right :)

are we going to get stories?

No big stories, just surprised that it's such a small world. I had four separate prospectives tell me that they know who I am from being on here! Haha! After the initial surprise, I think it's pretty funny. Small world. I'm pretty transparent on here anyway, and it'd be easy enough to figure out who I am. I just hadn't realized how popular this board is.

goldielocks - it was nice to meet you at Northwestern, good luck with your decision!

In other news, I got an admit to UC Santa Barbara today (via email from a POI)! I was really surprised because it's fairly late in the game. Also, I don't know what the heck is going on with UCLA...I don't have a rejection or acceptance or anything yet. Are they done making acceptances? I assumed that it was a rejection at this point (along with UCSB) but then this acceptance happened today. I don't think UCLA holds a waitlist, do they?

So does anyone have any experience with part time work in grad school? I've been told by numerous people that it's beyond busy- and make no mistake I can fully believe it- but then I also have a TA who does 15-20 hours a week in retail alongside grad school, claiming that the mindless work is a nice break. Thoughts?

goldielocks - it was nice to meet you at Northwestern, good luck with your decision!

In other news, I got an admit to UC Santa Barbara today (via email from a POI)! I was really surprised because it's fairly late in the game. Also, I don't know what the heck is going on with UCLA...I don't have a rejection or acceptance or anything yet. Are they done making acceptances? I assumed that it was a rejection at this point (along with UCSB) but then this acceptance happened today. I don't think UCLA holds a waitlist, do they?

Lovely meeting you, as well! Congrats on UCSB! I know you have a tough decision ahead of you and wish you all the best.

Well a new wait begins. . . Waitlisted at my top choice (UMass)

Is that the masters or PhD at UMass? And good luck with the waitlist -- hopefully some people above you will choose elsewhere!

Well a new wait begins. . . Waitlisted at my top choice (UMass)

well I know it sucks (and I wish I had a sterling quote from Archer to make this point even stronger) but look at it as a glass being half full b/c some people got outright rejections ... no? :)

No big stories, just surprised that it's such a small world. I had four separate prospectives tell me that they know who I am from being on here! Haha! After the initial surprise, I think it's pretty funny. Small world. I'm pretty transparent on here anyway, and it'd be easy enough to figure out who I am. I just hadn't realized how popular this board is.

well I hope I run into you since you are now a star around these parts ... maybe when I FINALLY make it to an AHA conference? Oh and you have to have ONE story ... even if it's benign ... there is always a story :-)

well I know it sucks (and I wish I had a sterling quote from Archer to make this point even stronger) but look at it as a glass being half full b/c some people got outright rejections ... no? :)

Is that the masters or PhD at UMass? And good luck with the waitlist -- hopefully some people above you will choose elsewhere!

I'm actually not upset at all. UMass is my top choice. I love the school, and my GPA from back in 2002 was terrible. I returned in 2009 and finished up with a kick ass gpa, but my overall was still crap.

I am going to UMass for MA, and I'm hoping to kick ass, take names, and then get into a great Ph.D program in a couple of years. Apparently the official notice of Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected is getting mailed out next week, I just happen to have a few close friends (I went there as an Undergrad) who were able to get me some insider info.

I am going to UMass for MA, and I'm hoping to kick ass, take names, and then get into a great Ph.D program in a couple of years. Apparently the official notice of Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected is getting mailed out next week, I just happen to have a few close friends (I went there as an Undergrad) who were able to get me some insider info.

Sounds like a plan, good luck! And thanks for the info on the decision stuff, too bad it'll probably be getting here right when I leave for March break.

I'm actually not upset at all. UMass is my top choice. I love the school, and my GPA from back in 2002 was terrible. I returned in 2009 and finished up with a kick ass gpa, but my overall was still crap.

That's the can-do attitude that built this country ... somebody give this child a super bowl commercial already!

Goldie has reminded me of an offer I intended to make...

Anyone who is going to show up in Princeton with some time to spare before the first events of the visiting days want a 3 cent tour of the campus can PM me and we'll set up a time. I know the GHA going to offer people who arrive early grad students willing to have coffee ... but still ;)

Goldie has reminded me of an offer I intended to make...

Anyone who is going to show up in Princeton with some time to spare before the first events of the visiting days want a 3 cent tour of the campus can PM me and we'll set up a time. I know the GHA going to offer people who arrive early grad students willing to have coffee ... but still ;)

Take her up on it! She's offering her free services! I mean, she'll show you the deepest and darkest and beautiful secrets of Princeton University that will make you terrified but super excited to be part of the elite club. ;)Don't worry, she's not going to haze you.

you should join the terrace club eating club at princeton. they're open membership and "back in the day" they had all the best concerts. they usually get live acts instead of DJs at their events. quadrangle club is pretty cool too.

Terrace still has open membership.

I'm just mostly offering a familiarization tour. No one needs to haze them until they have signed their contracts :) I just know I and a lot of my cohort got lost because they gave the crappiest maps and no campus tours last year.

Has anyone noticed that thing about Rick Santorum on the results page? Back story??

Yeah, I'm curious as to why Rick Santorum came up in a discussion with the DGS anyways, especially since it wasn't a modern US historian.

I, in an act of poor judgment, was the one who made that post. It was meant as a joke which was in poor taste. I have asked to have it removed.

My apologies, especially to the University of Oregon (a very fine institution with some really great people).

Lol, oops. Well I doubt you're the first to do something like that, and we'd be hard-pressed to find someone here who hasn't done something that they almost immediately regretted.

Yep, and I think inflated numbers can come from the department, as well. I find it difficult to believe Columbia's claim that they have over 600 applicants annually, when comparable schools (Chicago, Yale, Harvard) never claim more than 400. Maybe it's the New York factor, but I'm doubtful.

Yale has had over 400 in at least each of the last two years, so I would be shocked if that Columbia number is accurate.