Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

For my schools, I think we'll hear about acceptances to Indiana (hopefully more than just that random one) and Minnesota this week.

I also bet we'll hear from at least one Ivy (probably Yale or Princeton). This is based on no solid info, just a general guess.

Seems like OSU is also sending out things!

Addendum: Another guess, but I think Wednesday and Thursday will be the big days for most of this to go down (based on last week. It seems like Mondays and Fridays are kinda meh, unless another school goes all Northwestern midnight decisions on us).

Edited by Kelkel

For my schools, I think we'll hear about acceptances to Indiana (hopefully more than just that random one) and Minnesota this week.

I also bet we'll hear from at least one Ivy (probably Yale or Princeton). This is based on no solid info, just a general guess.

I sooo want to call Indiana up and see where everything stands...but I won't. :)

I just took a look at last year's result survey, looks like Yale, Princeton, Brown, Harvard and Columbia notified this week (around the 10th). I think we'll hear from Berkeley and UCLA soon too, since a few acceptances have trickled out already.

Are taking friendly wagers on if we hear from the ivies this week? Not that I'm a degenerate gambler or with a degenerate gambling problem or anything :ph34r:

I'm in! I think we'll hear from Princeton and Yale by Thursday, a few early Harvard admits before the end of the week (informal POI emails), with the rest of their decisions on Monday. Columbia on Monday as well.

I believe my info on Princeton is fairly reliable. I don't have much else to say, but feel free to PM me.

I'm (morbidly) curious: are there Duke applicants on this board who haven't heard yet? I'd be interested in trying to suss out what this morning's slaughter meant. Some people have talked about programs that just accept the best and dump the worst applicants quickly, and then focus on the grey area. Or it could just be that Duke isn't accepting very many this year and its acceptances are either largely not on this board or have yet to hear.

I know which one I'd prefer (and will imagine, until informed otherwise).

Well, I was accepted to UT Dallas's masters program! No other details than "press this button to accept or decline." So I'm not sure what to think! They were the ones who never emailed me back regarding my info being received. I wonder if I should email and ask about aid and stuff...

The other other decision for UTD on the survey was from 2010 and was via post. Should I wait to see if something comes or email and hope they reply?

Well, I was accepted to UT Dallas's masters program! No other details than "press this button to accept or decline." So I'm not sure what to think! They were the ones who never emailed me back regarding my info being received. I wonder if I should email and ask about aid and stuff...

The other other decision for UTD on the survey was from 2010 and was via post. Should I wait to see if something comes or email and hope they reply?

Congrats!! I would email... They've already accepted you; I would imagine that it's totally reasonable to ask about funding.

It all depends on where the line is set. Thanks to the Giants, I made money on the Super Bowl.

Well I guess I need to set the odds? Um since Nat already said we should expect to see something from Princeton, I guess they're the odds on favorite, so I'll set that as a pick 'em. I think the long shot is going to be Dartmouth so I'll make that 8/1. Or maybe we should go for a spread format? And then throw in a vig? I mean I don't know much about gambling so you might have to help me out here SD

Well I guess I need to set the odds? Um since Nat already said we should expect to see something from Princeton, I guess they're the odds on favorite, so I'll set that as a pick 'em. I think the long shot is going to be Dartmouth so I'll make that 8/1. Or maybe we should go for a spread format? And then throw in a vig? I mean I don't know much about gambling so you might have to help me out here SD

MM, have to think of this and handicap it out.

I emailed! The problem was that no one ever responded to me! I found yet another person to contact on the website, so I'll let you y'all know what (if anything) they say!

Congrats on the good news

MM, have to think of this and handicap it out.

Well hopefully it comes out before news leaks :) .... BTW disappointed that there are only 24 people lurking tonight. What else could be more exciting than joining in this fellowship of stress & hyperventilation?

I also know from another friend who now works at a good state school and got a degree from one as well...I quote "Ivy league/good private school graduates have a very specialized knowledge of the subject, but they lack in a vast, general knowledge of the subject area. They also have minimal teaching experience, which makes them less attractive as candidates for jobs. with graduates from state schools, they are not necessarily specialized but have worked as TAs, or have had to do so to maintain funding".

That sounds a lot like criticisms of programs in the UK. I've looked at new hires at a lot of different kinds of schools and there are plenty of Ivy grads in the mix. Could it be that graduate school is what you make of it?

Edited by superfluousflo