Oh...my. An offer?!

I met with a professor that I'm going to take a course with this semester as a non-degree seeking student. He asked me about my interests, I told him, and he said I should consider joining their program and getting an MA -- this fall. He explained that the cohort entering this fall was much smaller than usual, so they do have room.

First off, I'm really shocked. It's exciting, and completely unexpected. I'm a little hesitant though, and here's why:

School starts in about 2 weeks. I'd have to throw together some sort of application (the graduate director said that I would be accepted, this is just a formality) really, really quickly.

No funding. I know this is the norm for an MA in many programs, but I was told that a lot of MA students find funding in this particular program. Something might become available in the spring, but this semester, I'd have to pay out of pocket. Luckily, I got an appeal for in-state tuition approved, so that would cut it down to about 1/4 of the total costs.

I hadn't planned on it at all. Since I'm interested in forensic DNA, this was going to be my year to take a lot of biology, genetics, and criminology courses and strengthen my background. I was told by this professor we could make my thesis into something centered closely around my interests, but I think in order to do that well, I'd need these courses as background.

It is a very exciting idea, but there's a lot of uncertainty. Has anyone else experienced getting a really late and/or unexpected offer? What did you do?

Wow, this sounds like great news to me. I don't have much experience with unexpected offers, but even though you probably won't be able to take as many bio, genetics, and/or crim courses during the year, you still may have the ability to take some of those courses during your MA career. My university has many upper division undergrad courses that are available for grads (you are in a class with undergrads but you as a grad may have more requirements, like more papers, or a longer research paper). I didn't have much experience in my field specialization when I got into the MA program, but I found plenty of opportunities to bulk up my background with these classes. Usually they are applicable to your degree credits (as minor requirements, elective credits, etc). I would check with the graduate catalogue or handbook of your school.

In my opinion, go for it.

Wow! That's pretty awesome, I feel like that's kind of a dream come true for most applicants...for someone on the "inside" to tell you that you're application is just a formality, you can expect your acceptance very quickly. If grad school was in your plans anyway then you should definitely go for it. I don't know how often this kind of thing happens, but I would imagine not very often at all...congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

I met with a professor that I'm going to take a course with this semester as a non-degree seeking student. He asked me about my interests, I told him, and he said I should consider joining their program and getting an MA -- this fall. He explained that the cohort entering this fall was much smaller than usual, so they do have room.

First off, I'm really shocked. It's exciting, and completely unexpected. I'm a little hesitant though, and here's why:

School starts in about 2 weeks. I'd have to throw together some sort of application (the graduate director said that I would be accepted, this is just a formality) really, really quickly.

No funding. I know this is the norm for an MA in many programs, but I was told that a lot of MA students find funding in this particular program. Something might become available in the spring, but this semester, I'd have to pay out of pocket. Luckily, I got an appeal for in-state tuition approved, so that would cut it down to about 1/4 of the total costs.

I hadn't planned on it at all. Since I'm interested in forensic DNA, this was going to be my year to take a lot of biology, genetics, and criminology courses and strengthen my background. I was told by this professor we could make my thesis into something centered closely around my interests, but I think in order to do that well, I'd need these courses as background.

It is a very exciting idea, but there's a lot of uncertainty. Has anyone else experienced getting a really late and/or unexpected offer? What did you do?

This sounds very unusual and very cool. I'd be a little concerned about funding, but if you feel like the benefits outweigh the cost (you mention in a later post about a possible assistantship, so it very well might), then by all means: go! :lol:

noodles, I'm curious what kind of course were you taking a non-degree student? Was this something one on one with the professor? I've never met with a professor just for a normal class before the class even started.

I wanted to take a graduate Criminology course, so I emailed him to see if he wouldn't mind me taking it. He asked what I was interested in, and when I told him, he suggested we meet. I did, and that's where he suggested I consider either applying for this fall or for next.

UPDATE: I'm going! I sent in my very, very rushed application, and it was accepted! I have orientation on Tuesday. :)

I wasn't able to find funding, but I've started on a few fellowship applications to try and get funding for the rest of my MA. I actually was granted in-state tuition, so using loans to cover one or two semesters won't be so awful!

UPDATE: I'm going! I sent in my very, very rushed application, and it was accepted! I have orientation on Tuesday. :)

I wasn't able to find funding, but I've started on a few fellowship applications to try and get funding for the rest of my MA. I actually was granted in-state tuition, so using loans to cover one or two semesters won't be so awful!

That's awesome, congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

Omg I am in the same position with my psychology MA...Things are a very rushed I'm trying to figure out how I am gonna pay for everything. I have to take on non-matric course this fall but my acceptance is pretty much guaranteed for the Spring but I'm a little nervous. A part me thinks it's awesome and another part of me feels like this is happening too fast/ I'm not ready. Any advice?