The importance of work experience

I am applying for MPP/MPA programs in Spring and Fall 2012 and had a very important question.

I have done several internships over the past 18 months to 2 years, however I have a bit of a problem. Some of the managers I was under have now left the institutions I was interning at and I am having terrible luck finding them. I made the mistake of only seeking their work email, rather then a personal one. I've tried LinkedIn, speaking to colleagues etc but no one has spoken to them since.

I am having terrible luck with my applications as I was accepted before but could not attend as there was a death in the family, with someone who I was especially close to and now this. I am beginning to think I am not meant to attend grad school.

When I applied previously and was accepted to USC, Chicago Harris, I only had one work recommendation out of three. Now I may not have any currently.

My questions are;

1) How would you suggest I get in touch with someone? Have I not done something as of yet?

2) How important is a employer recommendation to public policy grad school apps?

3) How should I phrase such employment on my resume? Is it wise to let it remain without a recommendation?

4) As I was a lawyer, I have legal recommendations. Will they suffice in this area?

Thanks so much.

That's a tricky situation...stupid question...have you done a simple google search for your managers? Maybe they're at other institutions and are on those websites. What about getting one from another superior, were there any assistant managers or someone else that you reported to who are still working there?

Do any of your recommendations have to be from academia? Usually at least one should be, so maybe you can consider attempting to track down an undergrad professor for a letter. Not sure how long ago you graduated but I got a letter from a professor 3 years after. I needed a third recommendation for only one of my schools, my options were quite limited as well, but I got it from a community college professor that I had 8 years ago...took 3 classes with him and got A's...but still, 8 years. It worked out in the end because that's the school I'm headed to this fall.

I can't say for sure as it's not exactly my field, but I would think at least one good legal recommendation would be beneficial.

I would definitely leave all of your internships on your resume, that's relevant experience under your belt and should be reflected there.

Again it's maybe a dumb suggestion, but have you tried a Facebook/Google+ search? Failing that, do all of the above for their former colleagues who were at the institutions at the time and may still be in touch with them.

I feel for you on this one, as it's a nightmare trying to track people down when they've changed workplace.