All degrees at the same school? Dumb Q

CageFree

I graduated from UCLA, which has a well-reputed Latin American History program. When I was there I was not at all doing Latin American history - didn't take a single class in that department.

Is it a bad idea to apply there for the PhD? I was told that getting all of your degrees from the same school is a bad idea because it shows no breadth, but since I studied in a different field altogether.. would it matter?

I've heard tenured professors of history describe such experiences as intellectual "inbreeding" and "incest." The fact that you did your previous work in a different field might not register when members of a job search committee are quickly sorting through two hundred plus applications and looking for the least reason not to read someone's application.

there's no harm in applying there, but it does look like intellectual inbreeding and will make you a less attractive candidate on the job market. then again, going to a program and working with an advisor without the same reputation as UCLA and your PA will also make you a less attractive candidate.

you should also have a frank conversation with some of the grad students in UCLA's program. it's... just talk to them. i've heard some incredibly alarming things about the way that ship is run, and that was coming from someone who was actually attempting to defend that program. they were in your subfield too. if you care for details, pm me. but, talk to them and ask for their honest evaluation of the program.

Okay, thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure if it mattered when it comes to different fields altogether. You're right though, it's hard to tell from just a CV.

When I discussed it with my advisor while applying, they told me that a lack of diversity in the educational field wasn't necessarily a deal breaker in all cases. It would be a shame to not apply to a school that was a good match for you just because you are worried about how it might appear to people in the future. Likewise, it would be a shame to apply to a school that you weren't enthusiastic about just because you wanted some diversity in your CV.

Has there been much faculty turnover since you graduated? If it's been quite a while, then I wouldn't worry so much as if you JUST graduated from there. New professors bring in fresh ideas and perspective to the program.