Online/Distance EdD + Opinions of EdD as a degree

easttowest

Hi everyone,

I am just finishing up a master's program at UCL in anthropology, although my research has been heavily focused on educational theory and practice. I am considering going on to do an EdD program, although I would not be able to be a full-time student and would like the flexibility to pursue it wherever I work. So far, two of the prominent ones I have come across are at U of Liverpool and Nova Southeastern University (although the latter does require some residency periods). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these programs or if they had another one to suggest.

Also, I have read a lot of conflicting literature on the value of an EdD. Would appreciate any candid feedback on this front.

Thanks for your time.

If I'm being honest, I'd like to run my own start-up/institute. I'm particularly interested in educational technologies and concepts like minimally-invasive and democratic educational models, so I could see these being a key component. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am just finishing up a master's program at UCL in anthropology, although my research has been heavily focused on educational theory and practice. I am considering going on to do an EdD program, although I would not be able to be a full-time student and would like the flexibility to pursue it wherever I work. So far, two of the prominent ones I have come across are at U of Liverpool and Nova Southeastern University (although the latter does require some residency periods). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these programs or if they had another one to suggest.

Also, I have read a lot of conflicting literature on the value of an EdD. Would appreciate any candid feedback on this front.

Thanks for your time.

I'm a little sensitive about the PhD/EdD debate, since I'm a student at HGSE, where the EdD was founded as a research degree on par with PhDs from other schools. The Department of Education and National Science Foundation consider the EdD to be a terminal degree on par with the PhD, in general (i.e. you can apply for grants from those institutions with an EdD).

That being said, the quality and focus of EdDs vary wildly from school to school (much to my dismay, I should add). If your goal is to run a start-up that competes for grant money, then an EdD is a valid choice.

Good luck!