Dilemma: Undergrad senior eager to do MBA straight from University...U.S. or Europe

gmensa1

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post so I hope someone can help me out. I will be a senior at Swarthmore College this fall and am already thinking about the future. I would like to complete my MBA straight after Undergrad because I am a sociology, anthropology, and political science, major who is truly interested in business management and marketing. I think having an MBA will quickly educate me about the business world and be a stepping stone in my aspirations in luxury brand management and marketing and hopefully help me establish my own fashion company. I have contacted mostly Ivy leagues because that's the best place to get top recruiters, connections, and networks. I have contacted them about the possibility of being accepted into their program straight from undergrad. They told me they do accept exceptional students now and then but generally they believe that individuals with experience benefit more with the program and participation in class.

Their uncertainity about acceptance into the program made me look into other options. First, I have been really interested in MBA's in Europe. MBA's in Europe are roughly 3x less than U.S. schools and are considered the top 3 schools in the world. They also are partnered with Columbia, Upenn, and NYU. So they are known in the U.S. too. While talking to many individuals at the French Business schools they also said that not having work experience post undergrad is a problem. Therefore, they told me to apply to their masters business management and marketing programs that are 1 year and are only 30k USD. I would be taking classes at their business school so i will be getting an "MBA' education but not the credentials. Since I just want some business degree for knowledge and marketing purposes I feel that a masters maybe the quicker, cheaper way to go.

In addition, the U.S. doesn't seem to have a lot of master's in business programs that are geared towards graduating undergrads who lack experience. Most of these masters programs in the US are for those with work experience and the programs cost 50k without any scholarships like in Europe.

Overall, I just want to get my degree as quickly as possible and start working to reach my dreams in fashion. I think being in France would be a great opportunity due to my interests and I love the country and I know people there! So it would not be bad to study abroad for a year. However, I just do not know if having a degree in Europe and trying to work in the U.S. would be difficult due to what i want to do in fashion management. Also, I do not know if I should just apply to both MBA and masters; programs in the U.S. and Europe and see my odds.

I know this is alot but I would truly appreciate your help. I have been thinking about this all summer why stuyding the GMAT! lol

Well France (particularly Paris) is obviously a great place if you want to get some experience in Fashion. As I am sure you are aware one of the biggest fashion weeks on the circuit is held there.

Which French business schools are you looking at?

Also I think you are going down the right route...any MBA, be it in the US or Europe, that will take you without work experience is not worth it.

Hey Thank you for your response. I truly appreciate it. I am applying to HEC Paris, ESSEC, and maybe ESCP Europe. Do you know about these schools and do you have any other programs in Europe in mind that might help me with my future plans?

Also, to clarify, you agree with my decision to do a masters than a MBA straight after undergrad? I just feel I will be in tough competition with those with a MBA. Also, can you expand on your thoughts on why it is not worth it to accept an offer towards an MBA without work experience. Just want a second opinion.

Thank you.

Yes if you have no experience do a masters and not an MBA.

Any of the top MBA programmes or even half decent ones will require you to have substantial amount of work (and management) experience. The MBAs that don't require work experience are just cash cows.

I have never understood why anyone would even consider doing an MBA without work experience.

I appreciate your opinion. For me, I have worked quite a bit during my undergrad and I believe I have as much experience as anyone with 2-3 years of work experience. However, they only accept post undergrad work experience. So I have consider doing an MBA with what I believe is valid work experience that should be considered and accepted by b-schools. But for time and money reasons, I believe I will fair well either with an MBA or masters. I have decided to go the masters route since I am at a more advantage and the cost and time is quite low.

Thank you so much for your help. Further comments from anyone would be appreciated.

I appreciate your opinion. For me, I have worked quite a bit during my undergrad and I believe I have as much experience as anyone with 2-3 years of work experience. However, they only accept post undergrad work experience.

Did you work full-time for 2-3 years as an undergraduate? If not, then I don't understand how you could have the same work experience as someone with 2-3 years of postgraduate work experience.

Well, rising star if you read my post I have stated that I have worked throughout my undergraduate and therefore have gained a great amount of knowledge, insight, and experience that I deem comparable to anyone who has had postgraduate experience. The number of years you have working does not automatically qualify you as someone who is superior or more inept than a undergrad student. That said, even though I do not postgraduate experience I believe that I have alot of insight and experience that allows me to compare myself with someone with 2-3 years of postgrad.

if anyone would like to actually provide with some insight on MBAs or Masters in management programs I would appreciate that.

thanks

gmensa1, I read what you posted. I get what *you* think. I'm trying to explain to you what those looking at your application materials will think. They are not going to view part-time work as an undergraduate as equivalent experience to working in an investment bank, think tank, consulting firm, etc. for two years on a full-time basis.

To have the same amount of work experience as someone with 2-3 years of postundergraduate work experience (which, btw, would be in addition the work experience they gained as an undergraduate), you would need to have ~4000 (2 years) -6000 (3 years) hours of work experience. And that's just assuming an 8 hour work week. My friends in finance worked 10-12 hours per day for two years before going to business school, which means having at least 5000 hours of work experience. Have you gained this many hours as an undergraduate?

Rising star, I really appreciate your insight. Everything your saying is true and not new to me. This is what most top MBA institutions would like from individuals interested in their programs even though they still "welcome" even recent undergrads to apply to their program without significant work experience. In my post, I'm just stating my opinion and frustration towards this requirement of 2-3 years. For me, time is of the essence and I want to learn as much as I can about marketing and luxury management as soon as I can and not have to defer my goals due to my inability to obtain significant work experience at this time. So what "I" think is obviously not what these institutions will accept. Its just how I feel. But anyways in my post I did state that I was considering doing a MSc in Management which is geared towards students without any work experience or less than 1 year. I am considering HEC Paris, LBS, and ESSEC.

If anyone has information on these MSc programs (also referred to as grande ecoles). Please let me know. I am now finalizing my list. lol.

Thank you all.

For me, time is of the essence and I want to learn as much as I can about marketing and luxury management as soon as I can and not have to defer my goals due to my inability to obtain significant work experience at this time. So what "I" think is obviously not what these institutions will accept. Its just how I feel.

Honestly, you'll learn a lot more on the job than you will in business school.

Your definitely right about that. The MBA is more about theory. However, without an advanced degree I'm sure my opportunities for progression would be limited..especially in the fields I want to tackle.

• 2 months later...

HI.... i am looking forward to apply for fashion marketing course for Fall'12. I am thinking to apply in London College of Fashion which i have got to know is among the best universities providing education for fashion marketing. Need suggestions for fashion marketing in other universities. if anybody is aware of the scope of this course, please reply.

Currently working on project proposal which has to be submitted with the application. Any good suggestions are duly welcomed.