What are my chances of being admitted to I-O Psych PhD programs?

BC22

Would anybody comment on my chances of being admitted to I-O Psych PhD programs, please?

Here is a list of programs I am interested in: Clemson, DePaul, George Washington, Michigan State, NC State, Penn State, Purdue, Rice, Texas A&M, University of Oklahoma.

More about myself:

BA in Psychology

– graduated in 3½ years from a low-tier US university

– international student; student-athlete; male

GPA

Cumulative – 3.67

Last 95 credits – 3.91

Last 80 credits – 3.96

Psych – 3.93

GRE General Test

July 2011 – 1340 – V590 (84 percentile), Q750 (82 percentile), AW 4.0 (45 percentile)

April 2011 – 980 – V330, Q650, AW 3.5

Research Experience

– I completed two faculty-supervised social research studies (one survey, one experiment)

– no lab experience (not available at my university)

– no publications; no presentations

I tried to participate in summer research programs, but apparently those do not accept international students.

LORs

Not arranged yet, but getting decent LORs from psych professors whose classes I have taken and who know me well will likely not be a problem.

your GRE is very good but what do you mean " I completed two faculty-supervised social research studies (one survey, one experiment)"? does that mean you were a subject? if thats the case, its not something that can be used to your advantage at all.

LORs from profs that taught you might be ok but you should shoot for at least one GOOD letter, preferably from someone that knows your ability as a researcher, seeing you don't have experience, I would wait a year and get involved in a lab. Grades/scores will only get your applications looked by the committee, but if you don't have research skills and experience you will very likely get passed over.

and I never heard of restrictions on research participation due to your international status... I think your looking in the wrong place. Just talk to some professors in the school that are doing research that interests you and ask them if you can be in their lab. Most of it is not formal or anything.

Also, if you never done research, why do you want to do I/O psychology?

Edited by donnyz89

your GRE is very good but what do you mean " I completed two faculty-supervised social research studies (one survey, one experiment)"? does that mean you were a subject? if thats the case, its not something that can be used to your advantage at all.

LORs from profs that taught you might be ok but you should shoot for at least one GOOD letter, preferably from someone that knows your ability as a researcher, seeing you don't have experience, I would wait a year and get involved in a lab. Grades/scores will only get your applications looked by the committee, but if you don't have research skills and experience you will very likely get passed over.

and I never heard of restrictions on research participation due to your international status... I think your looking in the wrong place. Just talk to some professors in the school that are doing research that interests you and ask them if you can be in their lab. Most of it is not formal or anything.

Also, if you never done research, why do you want to do I/O psychology?

Thanks for your reply and help.

I was the researcher in those two studies (a psych professor was supervising my research). I was examining some of the concomitants of academic achievement. These two studies were very basic, but they did give me some research experience (e.g., in research design, lit review, data analysis, etc.) . One of those studies resulted in a 25 page paper.

I am confident that the professor who supervised my research will write a good LOR for me. I was thinking to ask my stats professor and another psych professor who taught me for the other two LORs.

I was referring to SROP (summer research opportunities program) internships sponsored by the National Science Foundation which have a policy to only accept American students. There were about 10 top universities recruting for their SROP programs on the campus of my university, but all of them refused to consider international students.

I suppose that in order for me to gain lab research experience I will need to relocate and volunteer which I unfortunately cannot afford at the moment due to lack of funds.

Hi, I think my situation is somewhat quite similar to yours. I'm also a BA applying to I/O psy PhD this fall, and my previous research experience was also studies relevant to college students' academic achievement. Penn State and Purdue are among my list of interest as well.

But psychology is only a minor for me (major in public administration), and my GPA was not at all competitive: about 3.5 cumulative. Still, I'm not so sure of my chance of being admitted as an International applicant from outside North America.

Maybe we should set up a new topic later for I/O applicants this fall~ :)

Hi, I think my situation is somewhat quite similar to yours. I'm also a BA applying to I/O psy PhD this fall, and my previous research experience was also studies relevant to college students' academic achievement. Penn State and Purdue are among my list of interest as well.

But psychology is only a minor for me (major in public administration), and my GPA was not at all competitive: about 3.5 cumulative. Still, I'm not so sure of my chance of being admitted as an International applicant from outside North America.

Maybe we should set up a new topic later for I/O applicants this fall~ :)

Hi. It is good to know that there are others in a similar situation out there.

I believe that we, internationals, will be held to the same admission standards as everyone else.

Good luck in the admission process! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am very happy to read your posts. I am an international student too and I intend to apply for both MS and PhD programs in US and Canada for 2012 Fall. Unfortunately my stats so far don't look to optimistic, I've just received my Toefl score of 96 and my first GRE attempt ended with an estimated score of 400-500 on verbal section and 570-670 for quantitative. I am considering taking it again in Dec.

Moreover, I have more than one year experience as a recruiter in a multinational company, poster participation to national I/O conferences and a final research thesis in re-view for publishing ( national journal, but with international editors).

Your experience and advice will be appreciated. I am really dissapointed with my scores so far and don't know what to do, especially that I need financial assistance.

Hi, I am also looking to apply to I/O programs for fall 2012. My stats are quite good I think, but I don't know if my research experience/focus on I/O are good. Here's my info:

Cumulative overall GPA: 3.94

Cumulative psych GPA: 4.0

GRE: V-690; Q-790

Research: At my school we are required to take two "collaborative research courses" so that is where most of my research is from. Last semester I was in an Applied Psychology Collaborative class and worked with two other students and developed an ESL Tutor training program, which was essentially based on a psychology literature review (we wanted to actually do a study, but there were time and permission issues because we were supposed to be working with a "community group"). This year I am working with one other student (who was in that class with me) on an "Independent" study to implement that program and test the efficacy of it. I am also currently in a Social Psych Collaborative Research class and am working with two other students to do a study on responses to rejection. I know this research isn't particularly impressive, and I probably should have more experience. I do have a scholarship that involves a $3,000 research grant that I can apply for, but I just don't know what to do research on (terrible at coming up with clever research - part of the reason I don't want to go the academic psych route). Should I try to do a study on some kind of I/O topic? This seems difficult since most of it is conducted on site in companies. Also, time is running low since I'm a senior and will be sending applications in December/January.

Also, I have never taken an I/O class, because my school doesn't offer one. I have an I/O book that I'm trying to read in my spare time, but there's not much of that to be had during the semester. I'm drawn to I/O because I am interested in doing something applied, rather than just research/teaching as a professor. And also in actually having a chance of getting a job when I'm done with school. I'm not terribly interested in business, but I'm hoping that won't be too much of a hindrance. I haven't definitely decided whether to apply to masters, PhDs or both. I know that there are very good job prospects for PhDs in I/O, is this also true for masters? Also, how defined do my interests in I/O need to be?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

HI everyone,

I stumbled upon your posts and although they were about a year ago, I would love to hear how all of you fared. I am going to be applying to I/O Ph.D programs during Fall 2012 and I was wondering if anyone had gotten in, had advice, or any other feedback.