2012 Applicants

scito

Hey everyone. I thought maybe we could use a topic where all us applicants for 2012 can post where we can post about where we're applying (and what our areas of interest/speciality are), how the process is going, how stressed out we are etc etc.

Do you know yet where you're applying?

• 2 weeks later...

BA in Philosophy from UC Irvine.

MA Programs I'm applying to: Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach, SF State, Georgia State, Tufts.

PhD Programs: Emory, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, WashU

My interests include post-Kantian German Philosophy, Early Analytic and Early Continental Logic and Philosophy of Language (Mainly Frege and Husserl), and Phenomenology, specifically Husserl and Merleau-Ponty.

Just scrambling to get my LOR's and writing sample in order, as well as improve my GREs.

Thanks to scito for beginning this thread.

My degrees are a BAH and MA from Queen's University, Canada. I did a third-year exchange at the University of Edinburgh.

Phd Programs to which I am intending to apply include Georgetown, UCLA, Toronto, Columbia, UC-Berkeley, Brown, UNC-Chapel Hill, UT-Austin, UW-Madison, Pittsburgh, Harvard, and UM-Ann Arbor.

My academic interests are chiefly in moral psychology, value theory, meta-ethics, and normative ethics, where (i) sophisticated versions of ethical naturalism, (ii) Kantian and Scanlonian contractualist normative theories, and (iii) 'challenges' to traditional ethics (think Williams and Foot) are of particular interest. The thesis I will be defending shortly concerns the conceptual features of such challenges as they figure in the debate around reasonable partiality. I defend a version of impartial morality that is meant to concede certain significant claims of 'partialists' while denying the conclusions they press. My broader philosophical interests are in Marx, topics in egalitarian political philosophy, ancient ethics (especially Aristotle), Kant, and the history of ethics.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Scito! Hi to everyone!

Great idea since I'm exactly in the same situation and starting to be kind of stressed out as well!

I'm thinking about applying to PHD programs in the US and looking for interesting schools and faculties.

My field is mainly Epistemology and Philosophy of Science and I wrote my final thesis (MA equivalent) on the relationship between mind and evolution.

Hope we can keep in touch and help each other sorting out the application process!

Good luck to you all!

Hegeleva

Hi everyone. I'm from a Scottish university. I have a first class degree in joint honours English/Philosophy, and I'm just completing my MLitt in philosophy. In terms of AOI...pretty much everything! I'm into applied ethics (particularly issues of morally permissible violence), feminist philosophy, philosophy of mind and psychology, meta-ethics, epistemology (disagreement), metaphysics (time), paradoxes, Spinoza, and French and Scottish Enlightenment philosophy. My writing sample is most likely going to be a history piece on either 1) Enlightenment feminist philosophy 2) David Hume's racism.

I'm applying to many graduate schools -NYU, Michigan, Rutgers, Columbia, MIT, CUNY, Brown, Chapel Hill, Cornell, Duke, UMass, Colorado, Penn, Syracuse, Connecticut Storrs, Georgetown, Boston, Rochester, Bufallow, Albany.

I am very stressed out about this application process. I have to travel hundreds of miles to take the GRE (never done a standardised test in my life), and I have very little idea of my chances. I am worried that my broad interests and eclectic writing will not be well received. Good luck to everyone!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm done all my applications - just trying to ensure that letters, transcripts, samples, etc all arrive at the right places. I'm graduating this year with an Honours BA from McGill in philosophy, minors in classics and political theory. I'm applying to a sort of ridiculous amount of schools:

MA @ Toronto, Western, Queen's, and UBC

PhD @ Northwestern, Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Chicago, MIT, Rutgers, Columbia, NYU, and Chapel Hill

My areas of interest are contemporary normative ethics and political philosophy (non-consequentialism, distributive justice). I also have an interest in French and German phenomenology (Heidegger, Husserl, Merleau-Ponty), but will only really pursue this if I am lucky enough to get into one of the pluralist schools to which I applied (although I would obviously be lucky to get into any of the schools to which I applied!). Good luck, everyone!

Edited by alicehughes

On 1/4/2012 at 3:19 PM, alicehughes said:

I'm done all my applications - just trying to ensure that letters, transcripts, samples, etc all arrive at the right places. I'm graduating this year with an Honours BA from McGill in philosophy, minors in classics and political theory. I'm applying to a sort of ridiculous amount of schools:

MA @ Toronto, Western, Queen's, and UBC

PhD @ Northwestern, Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Chicago, MIT, Rutgers, Columbia, NYU, and Chapel Hill

My areas of interest are contemporary normative ethics and political philosophy (non-consequentialism, distributive justice). I also have an interest in French and German phenomenology (Heidegger, Husserl, Merleau-Ponty), but will only really pursue this if I am lucky enough to get into one of the pluralist schools to which I applied (although I would obviously be lucky to get into any of the schools to which I applied!). Good luck, everyone!

We're applying to a lot of the same places! (And I've also applied to way too many.) My list: Chicago, Stanford, Columbia, Memphis, Northwestern, Yale, UC Riverside, Boston U, Boston College, Stony Brook, Penn State, WashU.

I graduated from Swarthmore College, and my interests are in language, art, and literature, primarily from a continental point of view. Historical interests in Wittgenstein and Hegel, as well as 19th century continental more broadly.

All of my materials are submitted, so now there's nothing to do but be extremely nervous and hope for the next month to pass quickly. Good luck to you and to all in weathering the admissions season!

alicehughes and roastbeef, good luck to you both! I'm applying to some of the same Canadian ones that alicehughes is, wanting to work on continental political philosophy, intersections of feminism and pragmatism.

Applying to:

Northwestern

Arizona

UWashington

UIC

UW Madison

Cornell

Syracuse

WUSTL

Boston

Rochester

Mostly for value theory.

Pretty nervous about the quality of my writing sample, and the fact I've mixed in so many good schools in there.

There are essentially three drafts of my writing sample.

The first draft was sent to 5 schools. It had this needless section that I axe'd.

The second draft was sent to one school. It axe'd the needless section, but still contained an error where my argument was subtly wrong because I'd included the word "justify" rather than "explain" in three places.

The third draft is as far as I can tell strong, but I'm nervous about it because I never got it looked at by a professor for feedback, and it was a paper I'd written independent of any class.

Maybe I should upload it here.

I'm happy to take a look at it, if you'd like. I've been staying up until 4 in the morning with nothing to do lately. PM me for my email address.

The first two parts shouldn't concern you, though. They are looking for potential, not perfection.

Edited by Secret Squirrel

Applied:

DePaul

Penn State

Boston College

Boston University

University of Oregon

University of New Mexico

Loyola Chicago

Duquesne

Memphis

Vanderbilt

WashU

Phenomenology, Ethics, Phil of communication/literature

Already have MA in Phil/Intellectual Hist

GRE: V650 Q730 AW:4.5(yuck, how do they grade these things?)

Strong letters, strong writing sample (so what? EVERYONE has strong letters and a strong writing sample)

The suspense is killing me. Plus it sucks being in competition with your friends.

Anxiety.

McGill, Toronto, UBC, Calgary

UConn, CUNY, Minnesota, UIC, Boston U, WashU, Brown, IN Bloomington, Ohio State

Aiming to work in History of Analytic Philosophy, Philosophy of Mathematics.

Hope I get in somewhere. Good Luck to everyone!

On 1/14/2012 at 11:23 AM, Blurry said:

McGill, Toronto, UBC, Calgary

UConn, CUNY, Minnesota, UIC, Boston U, WashU, Brown, IN Bloomington, Ohio State

Aiming to work in History of Analytic Philosophy, Philosophy of Mathematics.

Hope I get in somewhere. Good Luck to everyone!

Wow, what a list

I'll throw my hat into the ring:

For PhD I've applied to:

Duke

UNC

Indiana

Arizona

UCSD

Colorado

WashU

Wisconsin

Michigan

Pittsburgh

CUNY

Rutgers

Harvard

MIT

And for MA:

Milwaukee

GSU

Wyoming

All for a concentration in Phil of cog sci/ Phil mind.

GREs: 166 verbal 156 quant and 5.5 analytic

GPA: 3.8

I'm with y'all! Wish me the best of luck and best to everyone else.

I recommend some good beer and good shows to make the time pass.

Best

Javs

On 1/19/2012 at 10:49 PM, Javslavin said:

I'll throw my hat into the ring:

For PhD I've applied to:

Duke

UNC

Indiana

Arizona

UCSD

Colorado

WashU

Wisconsin

Michigan

Pittsburgh

CUNY

Rutgers

Harvard

MIT

And for MA:

Milwaukee

GSU

Wyoming

All for a concentration in Phil of cog sci/ Phil mind.

GREs: 166 verbal 156 quant and 5.5 analytic

GPA: 3.8

I'm with y'all! Wish me the best of luck and best to everyone else.

I recommend some good beer and good shows to make the time pass.

Best

Javs

That's a great list. Best of luck!