2012 Applicants

scito

I just got my M.A. in philosophy last May and now I've applied to Ph.D. programs at the following schools:

University of Arizona

Washington University in St. Louis

University of Washington, Seattle.

University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Syracuse University

Bowling Green State University

University of Missouri, Columbia

University of Utah

University of Rochester

University of California, San Diego

So far I've been accepted at Illinois and Missouri. Really anxious to hear back from some of the other ones.

My biggest interest is in political philosophy, especially issues concerning libertarianism and classical liberalism. I'm also interested in normative ethics, the philosophy of mind, and the philosophy of science.

So are you one of the acceptances? I still haven't heard... :(

No, it looks like I am not, since I hadn't heard from them either. Pittsburgh HPS was definitely my top choice though. And it was probably also a top choice for the others who were accepted too, so I am not optimistic about wait lists or anything. So far my results have been poor. I applied to a lot of very competitive programs, but still 0/4 is not a reassuring start. What other programs did you apply to?

No, it looks like I am not, since I hadn't heard from them either. Pittsburgh HPS was definitely my top choice though. And it was probably also a top choice for the others who were accepted too, so I am not optimistic about wait lists or anything. So far my results have been poor. I applied to a lot of very competitive programs, but still 0/4 is not a reassuring start. What other programs did you apply to?

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Looking at past years, it was always a little staggered, and they never called everybody - the rest heard in the mail, and that can take a while. Actually, I haven't heard back from anywhere so far. I mostly applied to straight philosophy programmes and a few HPS, because I can't decide what I want to do. Pittsburgh would become my first choice if I was going to do HPS, but not overall. I guess I'll let fate decide :)

I suppose I should stop lurking and contribute my list to this thread. I've applied to a mere seven programs:

Tufts

Brandeis

UW-Milwaukee

Colorado State

University of Colorado (MA or Ph.D)

WashU

Georgetown

I'm a PoliSci undergrad and five years out of school, so am more hopeful about my chances in the MA programs than in the Ph.Ds. My primary interests are in ethics (applied, normative and meta) and political philosophy. I'm interested in other stuff too.

I haven't heard from anyone yet, and the only results posted in the survey from any of my schools are from WashU's PNP program, so I'm still holding out a little bit of hope. Judging by the results posted last year, my rejections should start showing up around the end of this month...

Good luck everybody!

It looks like University of Oregon is starting to submit offers

Yeah, and i guess it's a good indication that I'll get my first rejection soon. Is there any one else heard from U of Oregon?

...And there go all the Northwestern spots. Although I haven't received an "official" rejection I'm sure it will come eventually.

I don't see any wait lists posted for them, and there are always are wait lists, so there is still some hope in that respect.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Is there anyone who got a acceptance or rejection?

I'll claim that result. I'm keeping it under wraps in my offline life (since it's not 100% final until March), but since this site is more or less anonymous I guess I'll come out of the closet.

I was shocked and awed by the phone call, to say the least. Still haven't totally wrapped my head around it...

I'll claim that result. I'm keeping it under wraps in my offline life (since it's not 100% final until March), but since this site is more or less anonymous I guess I'll come out of the closet.

I was shocked and awed by the phone call, to say the least. Still haven't totally wrapped my head around it...

Congrats!

Also, thank you for sharing this info, it means a lot to those of us still anxious to hear anything from anywhere...