2012 Applicants

scito

Thanks. Hopefully all of you that are still waiting get your own good news soon... one thing to keep in mind is that if it can work out for me it can work out for anyone. I've been out of academia for two years, my undergrad and MA are from no-name departments (as far as philosophy is concerned), and I wasted my undergrad doing anything but homework.

Good good luck to everyone.

Hey,

I notice there aren't many on this thread applying to UK programmes. Anyone else applying? For various reasons, I never got off any PhD applications before deadlines, so I'm riding on all my eggs landing in one basket: the Cambridge MPhil. I'm applying with a First Class undergraduate degree (with a 'prize') from a mid-tier UK university, and a current grade average of a distinction on a taught master's programme (MLitt) at SASP.

So, if I don't get in to Cambridge (and then get funding), I'm pretty much out of the game for this year. Will just work (eugh...) and save, then re-assess the situation. One of the pitfalls of the UK one-year taught master's programme is that you can't really amass decent work samples and meaningful references before PhD applications are due. Just one of those things, I guess.

On topic: I notice that there are two decisions for the MPhil at Cambridge, handed out this Friday just gone (17th Feb). Anyone care to claim either the acceptance or rejection? I've had no word yet. I'm wondering if they stagger decisions on the basis of nationality; there were, after all, extremely staggered deadlines for applicants applying from different areas of the world. The UK deadline was quite a way later than the other international ones, so I'm hoping that's why I've not heard yet. (That's whether I get accepted or not: because worse than rejection is when the programme seemingly loses your application and scrambles about to give you a response; UCL are particularly bad at this -- I note someone on the cafe reported a similar experience with them last year. Good admin makes the department for me.)

So, mystery 'accepted' guy: are you UK-based, or one of the other 'Others'?

Thanks for reading :)

Hey, question. Will places that usually notify by phone opt to send you emails if they can't reach you? I'm out of the country for reading week this week, so my cell is off (and I don't use voicemail). Has anybody ever recieved emails in lieu of calls in such situations?

Hey all,

I have to say, I am a little uncomfortable that I have not heard from any schools except for UNC and Duke, who both let me know around late January. If some have gained acceptance and some have received rejections from schools I have applied to but I have yet to hear anything...is that a good sign or a bad sign?

Casting my lot:

Reject: UNC, Duke

Waiting to Hear Back From: Georgetown, Cornell, Brown, Amherst, Boulder, Arizona, Tufts (MA), Syracuse, CMU, UMaryland, FSU, JHU, Brandeis (MA) and Houston (MA).

I can throw up some of my generic stats if you guys are interested.

Hey all,

I have to say, I am a little uncomfortable that I have not heard from any schools except for UNC and Duke, who both let me know around late January. If some have gained acceptance and some have received rejections from schools I have applied to but I have yet to hear anything...is that a good sign or a bad sign?

Casting my lot:

Waiting to Hear Back From: Georgetown, Cornell, Brown, Amherst, Boulder, Arizona, Tufts (MA), Syracuse, CMU, UMaryland, FSU, JHU, Brandeis (MA) and Houston (MA).

Best way to know is to look at previous years. Maryland for instance normally does not notify people until early March. So hearing nothing back from them is exactly what you'd expect at this point. I can't remember the others though. Someone ought to compile a list of typical notification dates for programs.

Hey all,

Casting my lot:

I've heard back about being waitlisted at Boulder and Arizona; both seem like short lists. I will probably be giving up my spots there as I've gotten better funding elsewhere. I'll be more clear once I've gotten 100% official offers.

I applied to Boulder, just checked the site and it says mine is still under review. Delayed rejection, or secret waitlist? I know which I prefer...

Yeah, that's what my application status says as well; I just assume I wasn't selected due to the acceptances and waitlists listed under the results survey. Perhaps there's still an outside shot depending on how many people accept the offers, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, they consider people for acceptance to an MA program so those acceptances may be forthcoming, but they're unfunded...

Good luck to us all...

So, if I haven't heard from DePaul does that mean I am waiting for my rejection in the mail?

Not necessarily. Their website says that they will make offers around the first week of March. One should also take into consideration that Magog is at the very top of their short-list--it makes sense that he heard from the department; I imagine that some individuals, who made it on the short-list, haven't received phone calls.

I've received acceptances to all 4 (Canadian) universities I applied to during the past week, with funding available. One of the schools is VERY top ranked, but seems to only have a course-based MA, in any case I have a tough decision.

I've received acceptances to all 4 (Canadian) universities I applied to during the past week, with funding available. One of the schools is VERY top ranked, but seems to only have a course-based MA, in any case I have a tough decision.

Post these on the results page if you can, please, so that I can have a bit of hope for receiving something this week.

Toronto?

Well, there's rank #1, which is Toronto, and 3 places tied for second place... But anyways, if you get into Toronto and it's a course based MA, definitely take it over a thesis based MA somewhere else. An MA from Toronto will be very helpful in applications next year, the others maybe not as much.

Then again, a 2 year MA (course based plus thesis) might also be a good idea, given that you can actually get new letters from people and do something before applying to PhD programs. For example, if you won't be in that great of a position to apply in your first semester at Toronto, and your interests are Foucault and french feminism (as on the profile), Alberta might not be bad (since Cressida Heyes and others are there). I guess it really depends, but if there's no super strong reason to pick another place Toronto seems like it would be by far the best idea.

Edited by tsm

Amherst looks like it filled a chunk of its spots today. Based on 2011 it looks like they will offer admission to 19 or so and only 5 or so will enter the program...

Given that 5 just posted acceptances, chances are looking pretty slim.

Also, does anyone want to claim the Syracuse acceptance? They look pretty early, given that no one else has posted an accept/reject from that school yet. Just wondering if any correspondance indicated waitlisting is occuring, etc.

**edited because I just double-checked and FSU post was from 2011

Edited by UnbearableNausea

Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear from Toronto, UBC, and Queen's for Master's. I'm in at Western! Which ones have you heard back from, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe we'll be seeing each other in the fall at Western?

Has anyone heard from Fordham, yet? That's kind of where I'm pinning my hopes at this point. I've been in touch with Dr. Murphy, there, and she told me she thought they would be sending out notifications by the end of last week.

The waiting, it kills...

- C

Yeah, that's what my application status says as well; I just assume I wasn't selected due to the acceptances and waitlists listed under the results survey. Perhaps there's still an outside shot depending on how many people accept the offers, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, they consider people for acceptance to an MA program so those acceptances may be forthcoming, but they're unfunded...

Good luck to us all...

Hey SeriouslyKidding, there is still hope - I received an acceptance e-mail from Boulder today! I am not sure if it is for the MA program or PhD program, as neither the e-mail or my account on the CU site indicates. I will update when I hear from them. As a side note, could anyone accepted into only the MA program maybe let me know how they knew it was the MA?

Thanks to everyone who replied to me! I'm in at Alberta, Calgary, Toronto and Western, though not everyone has gotten back to me on funding details yet. I will put these into the rankings on the survey though. I'm definintely going to have a tough choice! @alicehughes we might, who knows!?

Edited by especially

Hey SeriouslyKidding, there is still hope - I received an acceptance e-mail from Boulder today! I am not sure if it is for the MA program or PhD program, as neither the e-mail or my account on the CU site indicates. I will update when I hear from them. As a side note, could anyone accepted into only the MA program maybe let me know how they knew it was the MA?

In the same boat. I cannot figure out if I should be arms raised in the air in triumph excited or more muted, it's been confusing and more than a little cruel.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me! I'm in at Alberta, Calgary, Toronto and Western, though not everyone has gotten back to me on funding details yet. I will put these into the rankings on the survey though. I'm definintely going to have a tough choice! @alicehughes we might, who knows!?

I assume you are the one who just posted on acceptances at these places. I happen to have done an MA at alberta, and so if you have questions about the program or people I can fill you in if you message me. The 17k+tuition and no RA duties funding is the best of their offers, so they clearly want you to go there.

In the same boat. I cannot figure out if I should be arms raised in the air in triumph excited or more muted, it's been confusing and more than a little cruel.

Agreed - I am operating on the humble assumption that, because others know they were offered admission to the M.A. rather than PhD, and because I have no such clarification (coupled with the fact that I applied to the PhD program, not the M.A.) that hopefully the e-mail means I was accepted into the program to which I applied! Time will tell.