Chemistry Fall 2009

cammarp

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey,

did you visit UMichigan? if you did, how did it go?

I did! Michigan puts together a FANTASTIC visit weekend--they treat recruits really nicely. The facilities are pretty awesome, the labs are nice and very well-equipped. One group had their own XPS, another a (really nice) diffractometer. The buildings (3, all connected) are confusing, but mostly because they're so large as a complex. The research impressed me a lot, and UM does seem dedicated to its chemistry department. Many of the current grad students were pretty cool, and everyone I spoke to absolutely LOVED Ann Arbor as a city. It's a nice place to live, and not too expensive. Lots of awesome microbreweries, too.

To be honest, the only thing that really put me off the place at all were some of the other prospective grad students--a few were very nice, but some came off as a bit self-absorbed and not all that friendly. Several profs did mention that UM has extensive support for first-gen students, but after enduring a long "where did YOU study abroad" discussion--largely with other prospectives...it was apparent to me that I'd do better in a more laid-back department. Still, I would probably be dead-set on going to Michigan if I hadn't just visited a program that was a *perfect* fit for my interests. Awesome chemistry there.

I did! Michigan puts together a FANTASTIC visit weekend--they treat recruits really nicely. The facilities are pretty awesome, the labs are nice and very well-equipped. One group had their own XPS, another a (really nice) diffractometer. The buildings (3, all connected) are confusing, but mostly because they're so large as a complex. The research impressed me a lot, and UM does seem dedicated to its chemistry department. Many of the current grad students were pretty cool, and everyone I spoke to absolutely LOVED Ann Arbor as a city. It's a nice place to live, and not too expensive. Lots of awesome microbreweries, too.

To be honest, the only thing that really put me off the place at all were some of the other prospective grad students--a few were very nice, but some came off as a bit self-absorbed and not all that friendly. Several profs did mention that UM has extensive support for first-gen students, but after enduring a long "where did YOU study abroad" discussion--largely with other prospectives...it was apparent to me that I'd do better in a more laid-back department. Still, I would probably be dead-set on going to Michigan if I hadn't just visited a program that was a *perfect* fit for my interests. Awesome chemistry there.

thanks for this very frank reply! i just went to University of Delaware. very nice faculties, facilities, and grad students. i was impressed- my expectations were kinda low. from the grad students i thought it was TOO LAID BACK. kinda put me off. there is nothing wrong with a little bit of friendly competition. i don't mean not helping each other out or sabotage. but working really hard to publish and do well on cums. idk that is my outlook. also, i expect the self-absorbedness from UM and the school i am visiting tomorrow (UNC).

but anyway thanks! what other schools are you visiting or have visited?

thanks for this very frank reply! i just went to University of Delaware. very nice faculties, facilities, and grad students. i was impressed- my expectations were kinda low. from the grad students i thought it was TOO LAID BACK. kinda put me off. there is nothing wrong with a little bit of friendly competition. i don't mean not helping each other out or sabotage. but working really hard to publish and do well on cums. idk that is my outlook. also, i expect the self-absorbedness from UM and the school i am visiting tomorrow (UNC).

but anyway thanks! what other schools are you visiting or have visited?

Visited UCSB, will be visiting Northwestern at the end of March. Honestly, laid-back is a definite advantage in my field. Materials research is interdisciplinary for a reason--it requires people from many fields of expertise. The more collaborative the environment, the better. I'm not really into competition...I'd rather go somewhere the students work hard but also work together. i'm also a big fan of the fact that materials-division students don't have to take cumes at most schools ;)

Honestly, laid-back is a definite advantage in my field. Materials research is interdisciplinary for a reason--it requires people from many fields of expertise. The more collaborative the environment, the better. I'm not really into competition...I'd rather go somewhere the students work hard but also work together.

As a fellow interdisciplinary student, I feel the same way.

Note that I also like professors who structure grading so that everyone has the possibility of earning an A. (What is it with the "I must give out C's for ___% of my grades" policies? I don't understand. If everyone masters the material, shouldn't they all get As?)

i'm also a big fan of the fact that materials-division students don't have to take cumes at most schools ;)

I noticed that about the two interdisciplinary programs I've been accepted to. An unexpected side benefit!

Re: Chemistry Fall 2009

by salonga on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 pm

ChemGradfrmphlly wrote:

Still waiting for Penn.

from the result page, looks like someone got rejected from penn. salonga

Decaf

Program: Chemistry

It was me! I asked Penn to hurry up with their response. No loss, honestly - I found the school I wanted to go to.

is anyone else waiting on ga tech (i applied for their phd program)? I emailed the grad. coordinator and she said decisions would be out last week....

Not sure what to tell you, but they've had 2 visitation weekends already. I think there's one more later this month. Hopefully you'll hear back soon! I enjoyed my visit there.

Yeah I have a friend who was accepted as well and I heard their last visitation weekend is in april, so I'm kind of discouraged. I wish they would just reject me already...it is my first choice, but I have been accepted at another school I love. I just don't want this to turn into a situation where IF (big if) ga tech accepts me in april or something I have to quickly make a decision.

application fee: $75

GRE score report: $20

burning the official rejection letter from Berkeley: priceless

honestly, i would have been very bummed about it if i hadn't realized my second choice was an infinitely better fit. but now i don't care! :)

Can you tell me more about Northwestern? I'm going next week.

Really? Then there's nothing I can tell you that you won't find out very soon :) They put together the best of all three visit weekends I went to--it was fun, informative, and also really organized. The only downside is that we only met with three faculty. Make sure you go see downtown Chicago on the last day, if you're not leaving super early.

Definitely, definitely make sure you talk to Emily Weiss at some point! She is an awesome person with cool research in your area. :)

So may I ask what are the reasons which affect your decision to turn down NWU?

Honestly? It's cold. I go through a bad seasonal depression every winter, so I'm better off living somewhere that doesn't experience that season. :) Plus, I did an REU at UCSB, loved living there, and noticed that most of the grad students really do seem to be happy people with lives outside chemistry. Northwestern would have been at least tied for first if Chicago were warmer, I think. Otherwise, I liked the department and the people and the surrounding area a lot.

(Plus, I found an amazing advisor at UCSB, have a cool project or two in the works, and picked out a place to live...)

• 2 weeks later...