Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

God. That could be 4 of mine. I don't know about UCLA though - balderdash observed correctly that last year's notifications were early compared to preceding years'. I certainly hope so - I want this process over with as quickly as possible!

There's definitely a fair bit of year to year variation. Probably more realistically, 3-4 of the schools on my list will send out admits, 1-2 won't, and you'll have 1-2 surprise schools to fill the gap.

I might be overly paranoid, but I am surprised at people disclosing their intended research focus as well as the subject of their written sample(s) so freely here. I would rather not be easily identifiable, even if I don't think posting on a message board is exactly going to be frowned upon (aside from its likely correlation with propensity to procrastinate online, ha). I'll be sure to share them in a few weeks' time though, when my rejections have come in so that they can serve as a cautionary tale for future applicants.

Anyways, a new week of waiting has commenced. Judging from last year I shouldn't expect to hear back this week, but oh well. Fortunately I am on a week-long research trip, which should help to take my mind of things (although it's doing a poor job at this very moment).

I might be overly paranoid, but I am surprised at people disclosing their intended research focus as well as the subject of their written sample(s) so freely here. I would rather not be easily identifiable, even if I don't think posting on a message board is exactly going to be frowned upon (aside from its likely correlation with propensity to procrastinate online, ha). I'll be sure to share them in a few weeks' time though, when my rejections have come in so that they can serve as a cautionary tale for future applicants.

Anyways, a new week of waiting has commenced. Judging from last year I shouldn't expect to hear back this week, but oh well. Fortunately I am on a week-long research trip, which should help to take my mind of things (although it's doing a poor job at this very moment).

Are you worried about faculty members seeing what you write, or about other people stealing stuff and using it in their own applications?

Edited by edost

Are you worried about faculty members seeing what you write, or about other people stealing stuff and using it in their own applications?

The former. I'm not necessarily worried, but I would rather minimize the chance of it happening by refraining from posting.

Cool, did you e-mail them about this?

Yeah. I'm back in the UK, so I was hoping they'd cover a bit more of the flight costs, but it's understandable that they can't. Though I do have to say, I don't think $300 would cover it even if you were flying from, say, Arizona... especially if you have to connect from a small airport through a regional hub. Anyway, they were nice about it.

God. That could be 4 of mine. I don't know about UCLA though - balderdash observed correctly that last year's notifications were early compared to preceding years'. I certainly hope so - I want this process over with as quickly as possible!

No worries, you're only 2.5 weeks from having pretty much all of your decisions. Almost all the acceptances are out by Feb 15, so you'll have some "yes"es and some assumed "no"s, and a general idea of where you're headed.

Fabulous!

Totally read that in the Orbit gum lady's voice.

Congrats to the people who have received letters, however, I am curious if there are others, like me, who are not applying exclusively to the top 15. I applied liberally, due to my colorful UG record, and I'm trying test to see how many people on this thread are applying to mid-tier programs. Its hard to gauge what gets you in at a school like UCSB when the results page from last year shows 4 results and no GPA/GRE info. Obviously CHYMPS are getting 200+ applications and the results page shows a good portion of the results, so you can form a very hazy picture of what got in. Anyone else in my position where they just have no idea what gets in and how many get in to schools in the 30-50 range?

@Ironheel

I also applied to UCSB (and really like their program), as well as a few other "non top 15" programs. Generally it is my sense that while these schools, "30-50" range aren't as difficult to garner admission into, they are by no means "easy" or "safe." PM me to share stats.

@BobbyZimmerman/Clean Cut Kid aka Adornopolisci2012

I'm a big Dylan fan! But yes, I am of the disposition that no school is a safety. I guess I'm trying to get a sense of how many are applying to the 40ish schools. Are they getting 200+ too!

I think it varies tremendously. I'm sure UVA, Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins get 200+. Likewise, schools near major metro areas probably also get close to that number, think CUNY, Rutgers, Georgetown, George Washington.

This website provides some information if you search a specific school. I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools.aspx

On 1/30/2012 at 12:26 PM, Adornopolisci2012 said:

The numbers seem a bit off. For UW-M, for instance, Peterson's shows 202 applicants, 27 percent admitted, 21 enrolled. The stats released by the UW-M Graduate School show 279 applicants, 12.9 percent admitted, 14 enrolled. There are pretty big gaps between those numbers... and I assume the UW-M's official numbers would be closer to the truth.

Peterson's also shows 120 applicants to WashU, which I assume is undercounting their applicant pool by a fairly significant factor.

(To compare for UW-M, Petersons versus Official Stats.)

Last year, I had to fly out from pretty far away to make it to the prospective student events. If you have a few different offers and the events don't conflict, you can generally patch together a ticket there and back. I did 3 events on one trip and had enough to cover expenses. (It should be noted that they all sent out checks to reimburse me; none paid up front.) One of the schools had a much earlier event, so I had to talk to them to see if they'd pay for me to come out and have a more 1-on-1 experience. They were happy to accommodate me, so if you're flying out from abroad, I'd wait until you see what offers you get and when their events are before you make any decisions about whether or not to visit.

In my experience, the visits really help to make a decision.

I think it varies tremendously. I'm sure UVA, Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins get 200+. Likewise, schools near major metro areas probably also get close to that number, think CUNY, Rutgers, Georgetown, George Washington.

Georgetown Government received 514 apps last year and 568 apps in 2009 according to their website...

Edited by balthasar

I'll bet Johns Hopkins was way above that.

One of the reasons for the numbers being markedly higher is likely to be the surge in applications following the deterioration in the economy from 2007 onward. Applicants to my program at Cambridge doubled from 2008 to 2009, and increased something like 30% 2009 to 2010 and another 30% the following year. Insane.

Edited by balderdash

For all of you who have been accepted to Wisconsin-Madison already, how soon did you hear back?

What do you mean "hear back"? As in, how long from submission did we hear from UW-M? Applied 15 Dec, heard on 24 Jan. So five weeks and some change...

Or did I misunderstand the question?

I think I just had a minor heart attack. Congrats to the poster?

Yeah, I think it will turn out to be real, as the timing seems right for an email specifically from a POI... if it had said a general auto-email, then we'd expect to see more posts. But who knows. Could be fake; wouldn't be the first time.

Edit: and congrats to the FSU acceptance.

Edited by balderdash

Yeah, I think it will turn out to be real, as the timing seems right (for an email specifically from a POI... if it had said a general auto-email, then we'd expect to see more posts). But who knows. Could be fake; wouldn't be the first time.

According to the survey, Geddes also e-mailed an applicant on 1 Feb '11. So if it's a tr0ll, at least it's a consistent tr0ll...