Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

my subfield is comparative, how about you?

Btw, I just called the dept and talked a very nice lady who said that the committee actually just started to deliberate and the initial acceptance offers were preliminary and only limited to a short list of people. She said to expect news sometime next week. She also advised me 3 times not to panic yet! So, the ones who are already in should be proud of their accomplishments and let's hope that some more of us will get good news from ND.

At least there is still hope. Thanks so much for letting us know!

my subfield is comparative, how about you?

Btw, I just called the dept and talked a very nice lady who said that the committee actually just started to deliberate and the initial acceptance offers were preliminary and only limited to a short list of people. She said to expect news sometime next week. She also advised me 3 times not to panic yet! So, the ones who are already in should be proud of their accomplishments and let's hope that some more of us will get good news from ND.

I'm waiting on ND too & really appreciate this information. Thanks for sharing it!

Congrats, bauhaus. That is tremendous news!

On a different note, I think that someone asked about NU admissions. I called the office on Friday (Yes, I am persistent - probably too much; I know this) and the graduate secretary said that decisions should be finished by the end of the week.

Thank you for doing that, I was assuming a rejection at this point. Granted, it would make my decision of where to attend much easier.

Thank you for doing that, I was assuming a rejection at this point. Granted, it would make my decision of where to attend much easier.

everyone's very welcome :) I've been enjoying the support of this group for a while now and that's the least I can do to contribute. Let's keep fingers crossed for everyone.

I feel much the same way. If only I would hear from NU and IU, I could then begin making my own decision. Alas, it seems like IU might not notify for quite some time yet.

Just received an acceptance e-mail from Rice! I could not possibly be happier, this was my first choice and the first school I've heard back from. I hope everyone enjoys this elation soon!

Congratulations! That is such exciting news!!!

Have to think its a troll after the discussion of interviews on Friday.

I don't know... but I'm hoping it means they're (still?) sending decisions out?

I don't know. I'm completely flummoxed. I commend my soul to the benevolent gods of the admissions cycle.

I don't know... but I'm hoping it means they're (still?) sending decisions out?

I don't know. I'm completely flummoxed. I commend my soul to the benevolent gods of the admissions cycle.

Are you sure that they are benevolent? I'm not...

Not me! Although the timing seems like it fits. However, it is a little odd that none of the five people accepted have posted any information.

I can claim one of the Rochester acceptances. Seems like calls started going out Friday with official info coming this week, unsure if they have already called everyone who they're accepting though it sounded like maybe they hadn't (just guessing).

Edited by bctheory

I can claim one of the Rochester acceptances. Seems like calls started going out Friday with official info coming this week, unsure if they have already called everyone who they're accepting though it sounded like maybe they hadn't (just guessing).

Congrats! Glad to get confirmation that things are actually moving with Rochester.

I was just reading another topic regarding whether it is good/bad to contact professors before applying to programs. I then got to thinking about contacting professors in general. I thought that I had generally read that after applying, you are not really supposed to contact professors to try to persuade them to want to work with you, but it's possible that this advice was wrong considering what some people on the other board said about contacting professors they are interested in working with. Should I have been contacting my POIs? Is it too late to do so?

I was just reading another topic regarding whether it is good/bad to contact professors before applying to programs. I then got to thinking about contacting professors in general. I thought that I had generally read that after applying, you are not really supposed to contact professors to try to persuade them to want to work with you, but it's possible that this advice was wrong considering what some people on the other board said about contacting professors they are interested in working with. Should I have been contacting my POIs? Is it too late to do so?

I think its a bit of a double edge sword. If you contact them and sound like you have no clue or if you sound arrogant it may not be the best idea. I contacted some of my POIs after I completed my applications. I basically did 3 things: 1. restated my SOP in 2 sentences. 2. Said why I wanted to work with them 3. Asked questions about professional development, RA/TA duties, grad/faculty relations ect. My emails were 4 paragraphs and I received very thoughtful responses from 5 of 6 that I reached out to. Each response very much matched the thoughtfulness I put into my email so I think it was probably a positive move on my part. Not sure it makes a huge difference, but I can't see it as a negative if done correctly.