University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

convex

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 of us in the 2008 cohort

Keep in mind, those are the ones that accepted. They probably admitted more than that and some people declined.

Anyways, I'm also a grad student in the department (just found this forum) and will be happy to convince any of you that UIUC is or isn't the right place for you.

I was accepted to UIUC last Thursday, and since then three professors have emailed me to congratulate me on my acceptance and talk about their interests, the department, etc. Illinois was already high on my list, but the personal attention is moving it up even higher (clearly I am more vain than I thought). I wonder if this is characteristic of other departments?

I was accepted to UIUC last Thursday, and since then three professors have emailed me to congratulate me on my acceptance and talk about their interests, the department, etc. Illinois was already high on my list, but the personal attention is moving it up even higher (clearly I am more vain than I thought). I wonder if this is characteristic of other departments?

It's a characteristic of good departments.

That seems about standard for Illinois. My experience from recruitment found the professors incredibly affable, and in general, I felt that for the most part they were friendly even afterwards. One nice thing about our department is the professors all treat the grad students with respect, even the grad students from different fields. For instance, one time when I was at the department copier, a senior member of our American faculty came by and wanted to copy something. There was only one working copier at the time, but instead of asking me to get off, he asked me how long it would take, and then asked me to fetch him when I was through. I volunteered to let him go ahead of me (especially because my copies were time consuming) but he replied by saying he was in no rush and just to fetch him when I was done. Keep in mind, he wasn't my advisor, or even a professor in my subfield (he probably doesn't know my name).

From some stories I have heard from other departments, I know something like this is a rarity.

I, too, am a Ph.D. student at UIUC. This place will be great for most people looking at R1, top25 schools. However, this place will be a nightmare for others. If you have questions, let me know. I'll be happy to elaborate.

From reading the posts from last year's cycle, it sounds like Illinois' professors communicate with prospective students more frequently. This may not be the case, but it is what I gleaned from this forum, especially from tidefan's posts last year. Illinois has also been contacting me more than other schools that have accepted me, but this is obviously a small sample to make a generalization about all departments. I only meant that I appreciate the way Illinois professors are being especially outgoing towards accepted students and it is giving me warm-fuzzy feelings about the department, justified or not.

• 2 weeks later...