Working while completing dissertation?

This year should be the final year of my PhD and I am considering working during part of the year (maybe from Spring onward). I know this will probably slow down the pace of my writing, but I don't mind if my graduation is delayed a bit. I have heard of just a few other students in my department working full time in their final year and am wondering if anyone else here has done that. My finances will be tight next year and working would really help relieve some of the financial pressure. However, I'm wondering if I should just buckle down and finish my writing and then worry about job hunting.

I know people that have done the working while writing up thing- it always seems to make it take much longer than it should have.

If (as Rising_Star mentioned) it's a job that's beneficial to your career path, that might be worth it. For instance, for those who want to go forward with teaching as a primary goal, adjuncting during the last couple of years of their PhD isn't uncommon, and helps them gain good teaching experience for their resume.

Some people in my field go on the job market ABD. I think the key to actually finishing a dissertation in a reasonable amount of time after taking on a job is to have a very clear, tangible set of goals left for writing (not, "I need to figure this problem out," but rather, "I just have to finish this clearly outlined chapter"). Some advisors, for instance, won't write LoRs for ABD candidates seeking jobs unless the students are on a clear trajectory and the advisor thinks they have an identifiable and achievable amount of work left in the dissertation.

Which brings me to my second piece of advice: have you talked to your advisor about the idea? You'll need the support of your advisor to get letters and the like (though perhaps this isn't as true if it's more of a part-time gig, like adjuncting).

Edited by runonsentence

if you're TAing or adjuncting or doing lab work, that's okay. lots of people do those things as they finish their dissertation.

but, i'd discourage taking on any other type of work. it'll take you longer to finish your dissertation, and the amount of time and effort that goes into preparing job applications is a full-time job in itself. i'd say you'd be better served to focus on the dissertation and start your job hunt now (so that if you get a position, you'll finish your dissertation in the summer before you start working) than to work a regular gig, chip away at your dissertation, and add 6-12 months to your time to completion.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can get a job, I recommend that you take it and that you hold on to it until the economy recovers or you have your next job offer. If you do, explain to your DA and your department that you need to make some money. Consider the advantages of "stopping the clock."

Most of all, have realistic expectations of what you can accomplish. Those working in the private sector (as well as for .GOV) face the unending challenge of having to do ever more with less in an environment of constant uncertainty. If you need to make money, be prepared to put the D on the back burner to do what you need to do to keep your job. Because, as many employees of Bank of America are about to find out, when that invitation to talk to the bosses comes , you most likely won't see it coming. (Hey, do I sound bitter? :o:angry::(:unsure::P )