Criminology PhD Applicant

Albanski

Hey everybody! (response: Hi Dr. Nick..hahah)

I have been really stressed out lately because I just graduated (early) and have no job and do not intend on finding a job because I want to be in academia and be a student all of my life.

Most of the deadlines for the criminology/criminal juustice phd programs have passed, but one. I have been intending on applying to Rutgers because it is close to NYC and it has a faculty interested in organized crime.

here are my qualifiactions

graduated 3.6 (cumulative) from top 60 private university

sociology 3.9 (major gpa)

Presented at 2 conferences and 1 conference at my school

in the phase of publishing a co-authored paper

GRE v 510 q490 AWA 5

what do you think my chances are to most phd programs in criminology and/or sociology.

I am also applying for a fulbright scholarship which I am 90% sure I will get. Do you think my chances would be higher after recieving the fulbright, especially since my research in the country will pertain to social science research and teaching a course at the university.?

Do PhD programs look at Fulbrighters differently?

WHat can I do to improve my chances?

It really depends with the Fulbright. Some people do them before, others use a Fulbright-Hays to do dissertation research abroad... Then the question becomes whether or not you want to delay grad school to do the Fulbright or decline it.

Anyways, welcome to thegradcafe forums! I don't know diddly squat about criminology other than that it sounds interesting and like something I wish I'd taken an undergrad course or two in.