PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

No word from Stanford yet...are there any international students who have received an offer from Stanford yet?? I am hoping that's causing the delays....otherwise I am guessing it is bad news :(

I am an international student, and I got my offer form them yesterday. But I'm in the US, maybe that makes a difference...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know chicago made decisions over a week ago. I do not know when they plan on notifying. The word is that the enrolling class will be 6-9 students.

But that still means they're accepting more than that, right? Assuming fewer people will matriculate than are admitted?

That's funny - I'd say I have it on pretty good authority they're meeting next week, but who knows with these things?

Lex,

Yeah, no idea, it's totally possible that you're right. My info is reliable, but second- or third-hand knowledge. One of my professors knows someone on the committee, that's where I heard it from. And it was a comment he made in passing.

Rejected from UCSD. Oh well, I don't think UCSD is strong in South Asia and globalization, which is what I study. Yale certainly isn't, and that combined with having received my BA from there made me a sure reject. Keeping my fingers crossed for NYU and Columbia, but not holding my breath.

Do any of the places you applied to for phd have south asian people?

Couldn't control, mates. Called up the department grad program assistant at Northwestern.

They are sending out admits through e-mail from sometime later today, although they will probably be notifying admits next week also. Keep an eye on your inbox, folks. The applyweb page will be updated from next week (both acceptances and rejections).

No impact of the financial crisis whatsoever. The department is taking the usual number of students, which is between 15 to 20 and no cutbacks on funding too.

I didn't ask whether I was in or out. But she checked whether they have everything about me on file. If she knew the decision on my application, then she didn't sound very hopeful. Oh well.

No impact of the financial crisis whatsoever. The department is taking the usual number of students, which is between 15 to 20 and no cutbacks on funding too.

What do you make of this. Does Northwestern have a more efficient budget than UChicago down the street? I have a hard time believing their endowment is bigger.

Do any of the places you applied to for phd have south asian people?

Just how many students are there on this board looking to do South Asia as a comparativist? You guys do realise that there are only so many spots to go around, don't you?

What do you make of this. Does Northwestern have a more efficient budget than UChicago down the street? I have a hard time believing their endowment is bigger.

Northwestern is notoriously well-funded. Apparently they own a patent on some pharmaceutical that they've been cashing in on.

Just how many students are there on this board looking to do South Asia as a comparativist? You guys do realise that there are only so many spots to go around, don't you?

I'm one for South Asia as a comparativist. But I'm not ready to be focused into a Area Studies guy. More of a generalist.

Couldn't control, mates. Called up the department grad program assistant at Northwestern.

They are sending out admits through e-mail from sometime later today, although they will probably be notifying admits next week also. Keep an eye on your inbox, folks. The applyweb page will be updated from next week (both acceptances and rejections).

I didn't ask whether I was in or out. But she checked whether they have everything about me on file. If she knew the decision on my application, then she didn't sound very hopeful. Oh well.

She may just doesn't know. Maybe Northwestern will be the first one I will hear from. Thanks for the news, mormegil.

First, I have also heard about Northwestern having a patent that helps keep up their funding.

As for Chicago, they presently have a policy of funding all admitted students, so that removes the flexibility of being able to admit students without full funding. And I was under the impression the average cohort at Chicago is about 16-18, so it is a big shift this year.

Just curious: Would anyone who got into Stanford or WashU mind sharing more about themselves? Apparently they don't care as much about the quantifiable parts of the applications, so I'm curious about the kind of experiences/background that these schools might be looking for.

Yay! They do exist. I'm applying this fall for phd programs. if anyone would be willing to pm with south asia specific advice, that would be awesome. im kinda going around in circles trying to figure out where to apply to.

also congrats all on your acceptances.

I'm one for South Asia as a comparativist. But I'm not ready to be focused into a Area Studies guy. More of a generalist.

I am applying as a South Asia comparativist, and hoping to crack at least UCB, Stanford or PRinceton. So far very happy about UCB