PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Thank you jackassjim! I hope they really do because I will probably accept their offer! It is the only school I heard from so far but I really like the department and it is an excellent fit for me.

hey pro, are you a theorist? I'm still wondering if the other theorist hopefuls at NW should give up hope.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you jackassjim! I hope they really do because I will probably accept their offer! It is the only school I heard from so far but I really like the department and it is an excellent fit for me.

hey pro, are you a theorist? I'm still wondering if the other theorist hopefuls at NW should give up hope.

How do you know, flatcoat?

I got an email on Wednesday from a UF prof who wants to talk to me in the next two weeks. It sounded more like a phone interview than an acceptance. I emailed back times I'm available and presumably this person is going to call me.

Hey Everyone,

I was really feeling down this week about my chances and I just thought I'd share what helped get me through. No matter what happens here, just remember that when one door shuts, another one opens. You've probably heard other people say that, but I think it's true: You just have to find which door that is because it may not be immediately apparent.

And if you don't get in where you really had hoped (or anywhere at all!), it doesn't mean that you're not good enough. It may be any number of things, including a poor fit which just means you've got to pick yourself up and move on to Plan B.

So, chin up! Hang in there, and who knows? If you don't get in this year, then maybe you can find out what sunk you and turn in a stellar application next year. It hasn't always been fun, but at least the company was good. Thank you all for the good company.

So, chin up! Hang in there, and who knows? If you don't get in this year, then maybe you can find out what sunk you and turn in a stellar application next year. It hasn't always been fun, but at least the company was good. Thank you all for the good company.

That's right. The application process helps me to learn about my shortcomings. And it's lucky to find so many friends sharing info and results here.

anyone here was informed by Denver U about PHD admissions of International Studies?? Some master applicants got admissions by late January. My admission still shows "not available". Is that a bad sign?? Sorry about that If I posted on the worng board.

Natofone, both Columbia and NYU have people in polisci that study South Asia. But Columbia is best for what I do, which is globalization AND South Asia. I'm really hoping that Columbia will be a good fit considering their impressive, cross-disciplinary resources on globalization. Thoughts?

I am so thrilled to find so many south asianists here! my research has been focused on the post-liberalization indian political economy, but in recent years i have become more interested in issues related to economic federalism and party politics/systems in the country. I find Pradeep Chhibber at UC Berkeley, Atul Kohli at Princeton, Jonathan Rodden at Stanford and Kanchan Chandra at NYU to be the best fits for my interests (given their political economy, development, patronage and party politics mix)

I am not deciding on any of my offers till I hear from all schools. I will be moving from Delhi with a partner in tow and we will pick what makes best sense for both of us.

Good luck! Oh I do have a question. What are the chances of a wait-list actually turning into an offer? Should I take them seriously or take them to be softer let-downs? When do wait-lists typically hear?

Cheers

Karma,

We have closely allied interests in SA. It looks like you have stolen my spot at NYU :D

Doubt that there will be room for two, but by the looks of it (accepted at UCB and NYU, waitlisted at Yale) you deserve it! Regarding federalism and India, have you looked at Rob Jenkin's work?

As far as the Yale waitlist is concerned, it depends how many people are on it and probably how they prioritized you on that list. Considering that Yale will take about 18-20 of the 30-35 they make offers to, there is a good chance several admits will take offers at other top schools (princeton, harvard, stanford) and some spaces will inevitably emerge. I'd say you have a fairly good shot of getting accepted.

Congrats!! :D

I'm one for South Asia as a comparativist. But I'm not ready to be focused into a Area Studies guy. More of a generalist.

I am applying as a South Asia comparativist, and hoping to crack at least UCB, Stanford or PRinceton. So far very happy about UCB

An off-day question for the theorists: what kind of stuff are you guys/gals interested in working on?

Myself, I'm currently writing on Alain Badiou. Particularly, his theory of the subject and the political.

Also, I have standing interests in democratic theory (especially Schumpeter and the idea of spectator democracy), Hellenistic political theory, and poststructuralist theory.

An off-day question for the theorists: what kind of stuff are you guys/gals interested in working on?

Although I am not applying this year, my interests are in the History of Political Theory--mainly Ancient and Early Modern thinkers. I also enjoy questions and definitions of "the political."

As I've indicated in a previous post, my subfield is Public Law/Judicial Politics. The only rankings of Public Law programs that I've been able to find are from a 1998 survey conducted by Keith Whittington and published in Law & Courts. The information in that survey now seems a bit dated. Does anyone know of any other rankings that have been released more recently?

As I've indicated in a previous post, my subfield is Public Law/Judicial Politics. The only rankings of Public Law programs that I've been able to find are from a 1998 survey conducted by Keith Whittington and published in Law & Courts. The information in that survey now seems a bit dated. Does anyone know of any other rankings that have been released more recently?

Not sure if there's an official ranking (IR hack here), but I do believe that judicial politics has its own thread on poliscijobrumors. You probably already know that. I will say that I've seen job talks from judicial people from WashU, Emory, Princeton, and Columbia. The WashU talks were good, and the Princeton talk was probably the best I've seen in my time in academia. Funny story behind that one if you want to IM - judicial politics is such a strange little network with odd dynamics...

coachrjc-- Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i've read the thread on poliscijobrumors, but they only talk about the very best public law programs (WUSTL; Ohio State; Princeton). No one ever seems to have information about the next tier of schools. I've been accepted to UVA, which Whittington ranked 11th in the 1998 survey. I don't think UVA has slipped in the last ten years since David O'Brien and David Klein are still there. Just curious whether Notre Dame and Northwestern have inched higher ...