PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

I applied for the joint MA/PhD in security studies/poli sci and was told that, generally, decisions would be announced early to mid-March. Then again, this was back in November, so it was speculative. I'm just holding onto it as wishful thinking. ;)

I did the same. Do you think they'll send out just one email/letter, or multiple? I merely ask because they mentioned a person may be excepted for one program but not the other. Does anyone know? Curious minds are...curious (and anxious!).

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm totally in dark about TAMU. They have mailed the postal letter on 2/19 according to their website but I haven't got any informal communique such as an e-mail from the department, which is probably not a good sign.

I see ND has started notifying. But are they done? My status page is just the same as before.

EDIT: Interesting. there's a poster 'sonnyday' who seems to have been waitlisted at JHU. Are we missing something?

mormegil,

Will you let us know when you get your letter? This is getting weird. I hope it is a good letter by the way.

Sure dude. I'm in Asia and I believe it will be a week more at least before I get it.

To the folks that got into Michigan -- what were your funding packages like? I just got my letter and it wasn't as good as I was expecting. 15 k for 5 years plus 3k for two summers, but they make you apply to outside sources 4th and 5th years.

Did other people get the same thing?

Same here. Certainly not as good as some of the other offers.

Same here. Certainly not as good as some of the other offers.

The 15K is an eight month stipend instead of a 9 month stipend, so the monthly pay is definite higher. TA's (GSIs) make more than you will on your first year fellowship.

Plus, Ann Arbor is cheaper than other places, but isn't in the middle of no where like Rochester, which is a major plus.

The 15K is an eight month stipend instead of a 9 month stipend, so the monthly pay is definite higher. TA's (GSIs) make more than you will on your first year fellowship.

Plus, Ann Arbor is cheaper than other places, but isn't in the middle of no where like Rochester, which is a major plus.

Good info on the TA remuneration. Thanks. The letter implied that you get the same 15000 as a GSI.

The cost of living is certainly something to consider. I have been googling Ann Arbor like crazy, and that summer festival looks pretty nice too.

Just had to get your digs in, didn't ya? Can't help yourself, hm? :wink:

I heard that Ann Arbor was a horrible place to live -- earthquakes, high cost of living, acid rain, werewolves, etc. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on a wait list and trying to deter folks from accepting.

Rumblings that the state budget may force the graduate school to cut programs, possibly political science. UofM acceptees would be wise to immediately decline their offers.

I heard that Ann Arbor was a horrible place to live -- earthquakes, high cost of living, acid rain, werewolves, etc. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on a wait list and trying to deter folks from accepting.

The earthquakes are disturbing, but nothing as bad as the werewolves. Those bastards come out every month and really create havoc. I suggest buying a supply of silver bullets before attending.

Rumblings that the state budget may force the graduate school to cut programs, possibly political science. UofM acceptees would be wise to immediately decline their offers.

:lol::lol: Just in case anyone actually thinks this is a possibility, Michigan has a top five endowment (only behind the ivies and Stanford). It needs the state budget like Bill Gates needs another billion.

I don't know if this will help. The e-mail from ND yesterday said that there was a 'deep' waiting list. Thus, I am assuming many of you will be notified as waitlisted. Also, from the e-mail sent out today by the grad secretary, it seems like ND only admitted 11 students this year.

I don't know if this will help. The e-mail from ND yesterday said that there was a 'deep' waiting list. Thus, I am assuming many of you will be notified as waitlisted. Also, from the e-mail sent out today by the grad secretary, it seems like ND only admitted 11 students this year.

Disgustingly small!