PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Another school I just remembered that I applied to and haven't heard back from -- Maryland. They already accepted a few of you on here, so it's annoying that they can't just get back to the rest of us with our rejections already! My testudo status still just says 'decision pending'

Anyone ever read 'No Exit' ?

I'm definitely having my Sartre moments..."L'enfer, c'est les autres" has turned into...."L'enfer, c'est les graduate schools"

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another school I just remembered that I applied to and haven't heard back from -- Maryland. They already accepted a few of you on here, so it's annoying that they can't just get back to the rest of us with our rejections already! My testudo status still just says 'decision pending'

Anyone ever read 'No Exit' ?

I'm definitely having my Sartre moments..."L'enfer, c'est les autres" has turned into...."L'enfer, c'est les graduate schools"

haha no kidding. I appreciate your existential crisis (loosely construed).

Hey, expatbayern... I'm waiting on Washington also and I have a theory. Did you submit your application close to the deadline? I did and I'm wondering if I'm on the bottom of the pile. For some reason, I'm not willing to concede defeat yet. Good luck!

Hello all,

I thought I would throw my hat into the conversation. First off, thank you all for your comments and thoughts. This is perhaps the most supportive discussion link I've ever read!

I haven't heard from ANYONE. Nada. No good news. No bad. I am thinking, however, that at this point, PhD programs do not appear to be in my immediate future.

Waiting: WashU, Syracuse, BC, Georgetown, Minnesota, Columbia

On Maryland - the grad sec told me that they had sent out a few early admits but they weren't close to being done (about a week ago) so I would expect the rest of the decisions next week maybe? So sick of waiting. Ugh.[/quo

yeah, I heard essentially the same from them. This week and next for UMD.

Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding too snooty, but here was my experience with UWashington: I got one of the phone calls a couple weeks back, the professor said that I was one of their favorite IR applicants, and made it clear he was checking to see if I was actually interested in coming there. I honestly replied that I'd have to see where all I got in, funding packages, etc. before I knew, but that there were specific reasons I thought it was a good fit for me (plus it's close to my family). Then, I did not receive an offer when others did, which makes me wonder if I was unconvincing and they didn't think I had much chance of accepting an offer. However, I haven't received any communication bearing this out (and also haven't sought out information).

I don't remember when the deadline there was--I submitted at the same time as all of my others, on about 12/14 (one day before the deadline for most of them)--but I know my file had been looked at closely a couple of weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding too snooty, but here was my experience with UWashington: I got one of the phone calls a couple weeks back, the professor said that I was one of their favorite IR applicants, and made it clear he was checking to see if I was actually interested in coming there. I honestly replied that I'd have to see where all I got in, funding packages, etc. before I knew, but that there were specific reasons I thought it was a good fit for me (plus it's close to my family). Then, I did not receive an offer when others did, which makes me wonder if I was unconvincing and they didn't think I had much chance of accepting an offer. However, I haven't received any communication bearing this out (and also haven't sought out information).

I don't remember when the deadline there was--I submitted at the same time as all of my others, on about 12/14 (one day before the deadline for most of them)--but I know my file had been looked at closely a couple of weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Hey...the truth is never snooty :)

Thanks for the timeline. Not sure how to interpret the difference between our timelines but I'm hoping for good news for both of us. Sadly, though, I'm IR too :shock:

Just to give some additional info on the UW situation. I applied in IR, and was contacted earlier by phone. I had essentially the same conversation that expatbayern had. I recently received admission and an invite to the admitted students weekend. The letter also says, "We can not bring everyone to visit who has expressed interest so please let us know if you will attend by Friday March 6th." Additionally, I have not been guaranteed funding, so I am concerned about that. I hope this info helps.

Cheers,

poststructuralist said:
Just to rile everyone up that's waiting on NWU, I just noticed on the Results page that some people last year didn't get officially rejected until the first week of April. yikes. I hope we don't have to wait that long on a decision one way or the other.

That's pretty uncool. I think that mid-March will be the latest I'll wait to make my decision.

Hi,

I got an email from Carolyn the graduate admin at Northwestern. Here is what she said

"No worries about your inquiry, I understand that people are very anxious to know their admission status. We have sent the first group of offer letters out. What I can tell you is that the decisions are still being entered and will show up in the online Application website (Apply Yourself). Most of those decisions should be viewable by next week. There is a 48-hour lag from data entry until viewable, fyi.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. "

I think it was a regret letter hidden in nice words.

Hope it helps for those still waiting on Northwestern.

optimisticPOLITICS said:
Has anyone heard back from Princeton or WashU yet am just waiting in limbo yikes

I got sick of waiting and emailed Princeton's graduate director. If you didn't get an email than your, unfortunately--like me--not in. The rejection letters are supposed to be in the mail for next week.

I'm currently on my way to Duke--hope to see all of who are going there. :)

Hi,

So am sort of new to this blog but have been reading a lot in the past few weeks and this is the only thing that has kept me SANE!! Thanks to all who posted.

I am applying for Comparative African(would love to hear from those applying to the same thing).

Hopeful2 we are sort of in the same boat.

I have been accepted with no funding as yet to one school, rejected to 3 and waiting on 7. But I call Florida today and they said they are still reviewing files. Northwestern is not yet done and I have not heard back from Princeton.

I think the economy sucked this year.

If anyone applied to Howard I went to talk to a proff there yesterday and he said they are just begging the process. He was great we spoke for 2 hours but that does not mean he will take me yikes.

But THANKS for blogging. This is therapy for me. I hope we all at least get one school and can continue sharing over the next 5 years... :D

I'm also applying to Comparative, with an area focus in Africa and the Diaspora, as well as interest in Racial and Gender politics. There doesn't seem to be many scholars in general who have this focus, so we are a bit disadvantaged in many poli sci programs. Many of the programs I applied to were comparativists in Latin America, or talked of gender in terms of European/American politics, but I was hoping to at least be able to use their techniques/theories to be applied to new research in Africa. We shall see if some think this is possible too.

I also applied to Howard, which is one of the few in the country that focuses in Africa, I heard they just began this week too.

Its definitely all about fit. Funny, I originally began applying in a way to fit myself into each program, trying to give them what they want to hear. But then I realized, just like a mate, they should want me as I am (without the make-up, wigs, eye contacts, etc.) and so the ones that have accepted me are clearly in to ME. I'm happy with that. :-)

Hi,

I got an email from Carolyn the graduate admin at Northwestern. Here is what she said

"No worries about your inquiry, I understand that people are very anxious to know their admission status. We have sent the first group of offer letters out. What I can tell you is that the decisions are still being entered and will show up in the online Application website (Apply Yourself). Most of those decisions should be viewable by next week. There is a 48-hour lag from data entry until viewable, fyi.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. "

I think it was a regret letter hidden in nice words.

Hope it helps for those still waiting on Northwestern.

Sorry, but I got this same response (exactly word for word) and then my rejection was posted on the website last night.

Descrates said:

I got sick of waiting and emailed Princeton's graduate director. If you didn't get an email than your, unfortunately--like me--not in. The rejection letters are supposed to be in the mail for next week.

I'm currently on my way to Duke--hope to see all of who are going there. :)

So do you mean to say that they sent out emails to those who have been accepted already? Well, why do they never just tell us in ample time. WE DON'T WANT YOU.How hard can that be, the stupid selfish foolish fools. Sorry am venting but seriously they knew whom they wanted by January so WTH.

I'm also applying to Comparative, with an area focus in Africa and the Diaspora, as well as interest in Racial and Gender politics. There doesn't seem to be many scholars in general who have this focus, so we are a bit disadvantaged in many poli sci programs. Many of the programs I applied to were comparativists in Latin America, or talked of gender in terms of European/American politics, but I was hoping to at least be able to use their techniques/theories to be applied to new research in Africa. We shall see if some think this is possible too.

I also applied to Howard, which is one of the few in the country that focuses in Africa, I heard they just began this week too.

Its definitely all about fit. Funny, I originally began applying in a way to fit myself into each program, trying to give them what they want to hear. But then I realized, just like a mate, they should want me as I am (without the make-up, wigs, eye contacts, etc.) and so the ones that have accepted me are clearly in to ME. I'm happy with that. :-)

OMG those are my exact interests, and I am from Zimbabwe (am an intl student) so it is a big deal for me. I am really thinking Howard at this point (nothing official yet) because that proff that I talked to emailed me to ask me if there was anything missing on my app that he should know and I said NOOOO. Their program is very Africa focused with partners in African studies and Languages and practically the whole school. He also said they have very good fellowship offers. I am just praying at this point. I am in DC at the moment so we should meet when you come to look at the schools :)

So do you mean to say that they sent out emails to those who have been accepted already? Well, why do they never just tell us in ample time. WE DON'T WANT YOU.How hard can that be, the stupid selfish foolish fools. Sorry am venting but seriously they knew whom they wanted by January so WTH.

Vent away...I wasn't a very good fit of them anyway so I not exactly surprised--though I don't know what the hell happened with JHU. Speaking as a theory student, they haven't don't much that's interesting to me since Walzer and Kateb started scaling back their activities.