PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

vig180 said:
Friend of mine with a 4.0 and high (1500ish) GRE scores just got turned down from Duke too, so I don't think this is some arbitrary cutoff line.

Nerve-wracking!

Yikes! Mine is still holding strong at Application Submitted, but now you have seriously frightened me. And if they are updating the pages alphabetically, I'm closer to the beginning of the alphabet...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to re-check the application page!

EDIT: Nothing changed. I hope they are not throwing rejections randomly. Since too many of us (forum freaks) haven't received any info, that's probabilistically the case. But, hey, maybe we all got in!

true plisar. you applied to literally every single school that I did (and then some).

I guess we have good taste. My advisor only had me applying to a much smaller number, but another advisor told me I needed more. We all settled on the large number below, to my wallet's great chagrin. I was not pleased at the time, and considering I work full time, I literally did nothing but grad apps after work for two months straight.

Well, you have to hope the time, effort, money into applications pays off in the long run. In utility, of course, not in dollars. I hope none of us are thinking of PhD applications as a rational move in terms of dollars... :wink:

From the looks of last year's results is seems like Duke sent out one wave of rejections, waited a week, sent out acceptances, waited a day, sent out more rejections and finally after another week sent out the rest of the rejections.

Let's hope they decide to get it all over with today.

Well, you have to hope the time, effort, money into applications pays off in the long run. In utility, of course, not in dollars. I hope none of us are thinking of PhD applications as a rational move in terms of dollars... :wink:

Certainly in utility because I will hopefully have some choices, but there is no way it makes sense in dollars.

The best thing about MIT is that they send via UPS or DHL for acceptance and parcel post for rejections, so you essentially know as soon as you see where your letter is waiting for you.

The wave of Duke rejections has got me distracted somewhat. Anyone hear from UVA at this stage? That was the one i was waiting for originally.

Me, too. No word on my end. My UVA status still says "pending". This would be a lot easier if I was at work, carrying on like a normal person who'd vowed not to look at these boards. Alas, I had surgery last week week which has me on bed-rest with nothing to do but compulsively log in and out of Duke's app page.

Are there any theorists out there? This board seems particularly IR/comparative heavy (hopefully an accurate reflection of the applicant pool! :) ) Curious to know if any fellow navel-gazers have heard yet or where they've applied.

The wave of Duke rejections has got me distracted somewhat. Anyone hear from UVA at this stage? That was the one i was waiting for originally.

Pending...

PENDING...

PENDING...

PENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PENDINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! PENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first of many breakdowns?

A breakdown, maybe, but the poster still took time to change the font size to make it gradually bigger and bolder. I wonder what that says about the persons who populate our community. You know, even in times of crisis, we waste time on (useless?) details.