PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand they don't have TAships. It is mostly fellowships and RA positions that they offer. I know two people who were accepted to CGU. One, who happens to be one my PHD-cohorts, was offered one-semester tuition waiver. My other friend was offered a RA package, which was barely amount you could survive on. So the lesson is, even if you are offered funding of some sort it usually is not enough to cover the bare minimum expenses. Hope this helps but then again it is only two cases from a big sample who get admitted and enroll.

Hey, thanks spark25. I heard they are VERY stingy with tuition remissions. Even if one gets a fellowship/RA, most accepted students have to pay a substantial part of the tuition. Heh.

I received an email from OSU. Dare I go back to Columbus? What will the Michiganders in my family say?

Where'd you go to HS rlayla?

I went to Thomas Worthington. Are you from Cbus? It would be so ironic if I went back there. I'm not thrilled about it, but Cbus will always have a place in my heart.

Hey, thanks spark25. I heard they are VERY stingy with tuition remissions. Even if one gets a fellowship/RA, most accepted students have to pay a substantial part of the tuition. Heh.

And people actually go there? I mean, it's not like they can expect huge salaries at upon graduation...

And people actually go there? I mean, it's not like they can expect huge salaries at upon graduation...

Beats me. They are a Top 50 program, even if borderline. I guess they are not really that bad a program. How are they surviving as a department with that kind of a funding policy?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

It's really kind of a shame, because on face it seems that CGU has a shot at building some really great departments. They should be able to retain some good faculty--it's a job that comes with a beautiful location and no undergraduate teaching obligations.

Did everyone hear the same thing in terms of fellowships from OSU (won't get details until mid-March), or did some people get more specific funding info?

It seems like everybody heard the same thing. Although I'm a bit confused because they said they are committed to providing us with a 'very competitive five year package' but I don't know if that's still going to happen if we get denied for a fellowship?

It seems to me that because the fellowships are university-wide, the department is waiting to see what it will need to contribute for individual students. The way I understand the letter is that accepted students will get a funding package with a stipend, its just a matter of determining the source (university or department) and whether it is a fellowship or has teaching/research obligations. Maybe?

It seems to me that because the fellowships are university-wide, the department is waiting to see what it will need to contribute for individual students. The way I understand the letter is that accepted students will get a funding package with a stipend, its just a matter of determining the source (university or department) and whether it is a fellowship or has teaching/research obligations. Maybe?

In my experience, this is almost certainly correct. :)

In case anyone is curious about Notre Dame's time schedule, this is a quote from an e-mail I received from director of graduate admissions yesterday: "Please be patient, decisions are not likely to be made before the end of February. As soon as any information is available you will be contacted via email."

In case anyone is curious about Notre Dame's time schedule, this is a quote from an e-mail I received from director of graduate admissions yesterday: "Please be patient, decisions are not likely to be made before the end of February. As soon as any information is available you will be contacted via email."

What do you think of this tone?