PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Yale admit! I just got my decision.... rejected from Yale. Oh well, I did my undergrad polisci at Yale so that was a strike against me.

Best of luck to all !!

Applied, Polisci PhD: Yale, Columbia, NYU, UCSD, JHU

MPhil: SOAS, Cambridge, Oxford

Rejected: Yale

Accepted: SOAS, Cambridge

Nothing on Berkeley -- sorry.

With this week all but over (with only a few west coast schools open), next week brings a lot of possibilities for news:

Berkeley,

Stanford,

Duke,

UNC***,

Northwestern,

NYU

Indiana

U Washington -- (admittedly probably not)

UCSD

UCLA

Any others i'm missing?

Nothing on Berkeley -- sorry.

With this week all but over (with only a few west coast schools open), next week brings a lot of possibilities for news:

Berkeley,

Stanford,

Duke,

UNC***,

Northwestern,

NYU

Indiana

U Washington -- (admittedly probably not)

UCSD

UCLA

Any others i'm missing?

VIRGINIA FOR THE LOVE OF G-D!!!!!!!!!!!!

just found out one of my writers' letters still has not been received at berkeley...gahhh.

I wouldn't worry too much. One of my writers was over a month late for all my schools (and still missing one). When I contacted the departments they pretty much said it doesn't matter how late it is and it happens all the time, as long as it is in before decisions are made.

just found out one of my writers' letters still has not been received at berkeley...gahhh.

Wow, this is really late in the game to be hearing that kind of news. Makes me think that maybe they're still compiling their applications and haven't yet made any major decisions then. Could be a bit longer for Berkeley then.

All of that says that it's not automatically bad news for you APDemon - why would they contact you about a missing letter just to reject you? The rest of your application must look pretty good. I don't want to raise hopes falsely, but that's what I'd be thinking.

As it turns out, one of my LOR writers did not submit his letter to any of my schools. This has left me with only two LORs.

Ohio State will not consider my application since I am missing one required LOR. Wisconsin did review my application (per the graduate coordinator via e-mail message), but I have heard nothing else from Wisconsin so I assume I was rejected. Notre Dame has asked me to try to find another professor to write an LOR, but I don't think I'll be able to at this point (she seemed to indicate that the committee will still review my application even w/o a third LOR). I don't know if WUSTL will review the application or not, haven't heard anything from them.

Northwestern and UVA only require two LORs, so those seem to be my last best hope. Fortunately, these are two of my top three choices (along with Wisconsin)...

As it turns out, one of my LOR writers did not submit his letter to any of my schools. This has left me with only two LORs.

That's awful, I'm really sorry to hear that. Hopefully the two other LORs are stellar enough to make up. If I ever have to write an academic reference I'll do it straight away, knowing how much heartache not filling them out causes prospective grad students.

That's awful, I'm really sorry to hear that. Hopefully the two other LORs are stellar enough to make up. If I ever have to write an academic reference I'll do it straight away, knowing how much heartache not filling them out causes prospective grad students.

One could imagine that virtually no one who would be writing our letters could have imagined--when they were applying to graduate school--that people like us would be freaking out about getting in. I get the feeling, reading some dissertations from the golden age of the early 1970's, that Political Science graduate programs were very different places both compared with each other and compared to themselves today.

One could imagine that virtually no one who would be writing our letters could have imagined--when they were applying to graduate school--that people like us would be freaking out about getting in. I get the feeling, reading some dissertations from the golden age of the early 1970's, that Political Science graduate programs were very different places both compared with each other and compared to themselves today.

Sorry, that didn't entirely link up...what I meant to finish with was:

After this experience, we should all end up the nurturing, responsive types

Sorry, that didn't entirely link up...what I meant to finish with was:

After this experience, we should all end up the nurturing, responsive types

We can but hope :) Well good luck, I think you deserve a big slice after your LOR problems!

To anyone who applied to Pittsburgh. Not sure if anyone has been notified, but, I meet with a prof. every friday to work on an independent study. I was told today that the process is complete and admittants chosen. You should be hearing very very soon. I didn't apply myself, but I am an undergrad there.

Good luck!