PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

It seems to me that this week may be early for Berkeley. Aren't they usually a week after Stanford? Stanford may run late this year since they haven't notified yet. Also, on Jan 20th UCB posted on the application site:

The admissions review process is fully underway, so we are no longer accepting any late materials except official GRE scores. We will contact you with our admissions decision by the end of February. Please continue to check here for updates. - Poli Sci Admissions

Considering that one of the forum members was just contacted in the past few days about a late LOR, it seems like they are not that close to final decisions.

I'm not saying it'll necessarily be the end of February, but considering schools may be dealing with 10 - 15% more applications this year, I wouldn't be surprised if many ran a week or so late with notifications. Anyone else notice that other schools are notifying later this year than previous years?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh - goes to show you what I get for checking out those other crappy "Who Got In"-type websites. Bad info!

I figure any way I can legitimately fool myself into expecting to hear later is only a good thing... lowers the anxiety level. :)

Based on my experience, I'd e-mail Virginia if you want to get an answer from them.

Their admissions office is not the most pro-active in getting out info to non-admits.

I remember last year I waited on them for over a month and a half after the first

batch got admitted, then got a one-line reply saying that I had not. They said the official

rejection letter would come, but it never did.

I could afford to be non-chalant about them, because I had gotten into a better program,

but if this is your top-choice, or you have a lot hanging on whether you get in or not,

e-mail them.

Based on my experience, I'd e-mail Virginia if you want to get an answer from them.

Their admissions office is not the most pro-active in getting out info to non-admits.

I remember last year I waited on them for over a month and a half after the first

batch got admitted, then got a one-line reply saying that I had not. They said the official

rejection letter would come, but it never did.

I could afford to be non-chalant about them, because I had gotten into a better program,

but if this is your top-choice, or you have a lot hanging on whether you get in or not,

e-mail them.

Now you are certainly worrying me there. Perhaps I'll give them another day and then e-mail the DGS for further information.

Now you are certainly worrying me there. Perhaps I'll give them another day and then e-mail the DGS for further information.

My gut feeling is that Virginia might be done as well. I checked the poliscijobrumor site and people there are claiming that UVA already sent out their decision notifications. Not the best of feelings at the moment but Ordionuovo might have a point.

Internet afire tonight with back-and-forth allegations concerning the decisions of two schools: Northwestern and UVA.

Is there another grad school site other than this one? Could you PM me if there is another one?

As someone who's applied to both schools, I hope there is some possibility left there. According to UVA data, they admit roughly 25-35 students each year, I guess funding is only available to limited amount. If UVA has already sent out their decisions, then I am assuming that we would've have heard a bit more about the decisions rather than just one on this site.

Northwestern is a bit different. I just think it is to early to call on Northwestern as well. A few got early decisions (true), but I just think Northwestern is not done yet at this stage and should wait a bit longer.

Next week, and perhaps the following week, will be key to most of these schools. I'm just hoping at this stage.

Considering the number of very qualified people from this site who applied to UVA, I have a hard time believing they have finished notifying admits. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I have to think that at least one of us would have been accepted.

I'm started to get a little scared though to be honest. If I don't get into UVA, the odds are good that I'm not getting in to grad school period. And this isn't exactly the best time to be entering the job market...

Considering the number of very qualified people from this site who applied to UVA, I have a hard time believing they have finished notifying admits. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I have to think that at least one of us would have been accepted.

I'm started to get a little scared though to be honest. If I don't get into UVA, the odds are good that I'm not getting in to grad school period. And this isn't exactly the best time to be entering the job market...

You have excellent credentials. I honestly believe that you will be admitted to UVA, among others. :wink:

Man, don't say that. The admission gods will shine on you. :)

I spent about US$ 2200 in applications in current US$ - INR exchange rates. That's a lot of dough for a middle class South Asian family. I'm scared to think what will happen if I don't get a funded offer from somewhere. And as someone said before in the thread, this is the worst year in recent memory to apply to grad school.