PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were promised Berkeley today by a poster, but I don't think it is going to happen. Then again, they admitted people at 1:30am Eastern last year...so who knows at this point.

Meticulous knowledge of the facts. Well, I've got to pull an all-nighter anyway...

...and the theorists come out of the woodwork! What is your area of interest, driftwood? Where else did you apply? Congratulations on the admit!

Because you mentioned it, PollyTheory, I'll come out of the woodwork, too. I discovered the forum just last week so I'm a late-comer (December and January waiting was easy. February, not so easy...)

My interests are on the impact of new technology on democracy, the problem of organizing aggregate knowledge, and the efficacy of unelected bodies. I applied as a student of theory and comparative politics.

I applied only to Berkeley and Stanford. My wife and I have done a lot of moving around in the past few years and I promised we'd stay put for the near future. Before you label me as overconfident (or at least overly optimistic), let me at least agree that both of these programs are long-shots for anyone, and me definitely included. We'll see what happens this year, and if another move becomes possible for us in the future then maybe I'll broaden my search in the next round.

With all the waiting I find myself playing mind games like "Which would be worse? Continued waiting or discovering I didn't get in?" Sometimes I'm tempted to say just get it over with! But then I fool myself into thinking that the longer I wait, the higher my chances of acceptance are. Totally irrational, I know... back to refreshing the inbox and the results board... Good luck to everyone!

We were promised Berkeley today by a poster, but I don't think it is going to happen. Then again, they admitted people at 1:30am Eastern last year...so who knows at this point.

1:30am?? They must do it on purpose just to keep us on edge for as much of the day as possible. Wow. Seems so cruel!

With all the waiting I find myself playing mind games like "Which would be worse? Continued waiting or discovering I didn't get in?" Sometimes I'm tempted to say just get it over with! But then I fool myself into thinking that the longer I wait, the higher my chances of acceptance are. Totally irrational, I know... back to refreshing the inbox and the results board... Good luck to everyone!

I say get it over with. I'm an undergrad now with a wife and kid so if I'm not headed for grad school then I need to get crackin' on plan B and get a real job! :shock:

Oh man, I know what you mean, PoliSci Guy! We've got a one-year-old and it is SO darned hard to actively put energy into Plan B without knowing one way or the other. Well, shouldn't be more than a week or few now.

Doctorwho, check out this thread: http://www.poliscijobrumors.com/topic.p ... 166&page=2

There's an interesting (and hope-inspiring) comment by a faculty member about applicants with children... The question is...did I mention to the adcoms that I've got a kid? Hmmmm...

Good luck to you!

Oh yeah, one other thing. I keep hearing that U. Washington might be notifying this week but the past results don't indicate we'll be hearing anything for at least two weeks...right?

Didn't they notify sometime mid-Feb last year?

Doctorwho, check out this thread: http://www.poliscijobrumors.com/topic.p ... 166&page=2

There's an interesting (and hope-inspiring) comment by a faculty member about applicants with children... The question is...did I mention to the adcoms that I've got a kid? Hmmmm...

Good luck to you!

hmmmm...I didn't mention the fact thinking it might just remind them I am an older "nontraditional" student

sorry! I only passed along what the adcom folks told me. perhaps there was a snag in the notifications? the e-mails came at strange times last year; I woke up to one around 6am. don't shoot the messenger! :)

I called up a few departments. The DGS at Rice said they will be giving out admits in two waves starting sometime last week this month. The committee hasn't met yet and the files are still being circulated among adcom members. There's no certainty they will be cutting intake/funding this year but they are being cautious. Talks are still going on. Although they plan to admit around 8 students which is about the same as last year. About 80 something applied.

Also called up the DGS at JHU. He said there's no plans to cut intake/funding. Admits will start coming out in a few weeks.

I called up a few departments. The DGS at Rice said they will be giving out admits in two waves starting sometime last week this month. The committee hasn't met yet and the files are still being circulated among adcom members. There's no certainty they will be cutting intake/funding this year but they are being cautious. Talks are still going on. Although they plan to admit around 8 students which is about the same as last year. About 80 something applied.

Also called up the DGS at JHU. He said there's no plans to cut intake/funding. Admits will start coming out in a few weeks.

Thanks for the great info.

You should call northwestern next :)

I really should. I would call some schools tonight (local time). Couldn't get the DGS at few other schools last night. They were probably in class. It was already way past midnight and my girlfriend called. Therefore. :P