PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks a Michigan admit is up on the result page. I didn't apply there so I don't care, but I'm sure many of you do, so thought I'd sound the alarm. You heard it here first.

Anyone going to come out of the woodwork with details?

I see two admits, one by email and one by mail. Is that really that likely? If they're emailing some people, shouldn't they be emailing everyone to let them know the letter is in the mail?

Columbia and Harvard is next week... crossing my fingers

i was sort of hoping for something more specific, like say, "tuesday at 3."

...you know, in the interests of actually getting any work done in the next few days. oh well.

I definitely would not give up hope on Michigan if you don't hear today. My notification was through the mail, which obviously spans a longer period of time. Someone else posted that they were notified by email, so I'm not sure how all of it is being handled. In a typical year the Department says they admit 45-50 students for a cohort of 18-20. Even if they are suffering from the bad economy I'm sure they still have many more acceptances to send out seeing as only two people have posted their results here.

Good luck!

I definitely would not give up hope on Michigan if you don't hear today. My notification was through the mail, which obviously spans a longer period of time. Someone else posted that they were notified by email, so I'm not sure how all of it is being handled. In a typical year the Department says they admit 45-50 students for a cohort of 18-20. Even if they are suffering from the bad economy I'm sure they still have many more acceptances to send out seeing as only two people have posted their results here.

Good luck!

Congrats westcoast! I already got the mail today without anything from Michigan in it, but I'm sure I'll be hovering by the mailbox waiting for it to arrive tomorrow...

I think UVA is done. From some of my other sources they've even admitted students without funding as well. Rutgers, I think, is still up for grabs. I don't know how many students they normall admit but I am assuming they will continue their notification process until the end of next week. So there is still hope as well. Good luck.

I don't know who told you that UVA has made funding decisions, but that is not correct. UVA does not make those decisions until late March. None of the individuals in this forum who have been admitted to UVA (including myself) have heard anything about funding yet.

Tuition remissions are absolutely taxable. You should receive a 1098 T form from your university, indicating how much your tuition waver was so that you can put it in your tax prep. This is a big motivation to establish in state residency as quickly as possible if you are an out of state student (which most grads are), which can make a substantial difference in how much your waiver is actually for (and therefore how much tax you will pay).

Tuition remissions are absolutely taxable. You should receive a 1098 T form from your university, indicating how much your tuition waver was so that you can put it in your tax prep. This is a big motivation to establish in state residency as quickly as possible if you are an out of state student (which most grads are), which can make a substantial difference in how much your waiver is actually for (and therefore how much tax you will pay).

Totally wrong. Our senior accountant at my school has said the direct opposite of this.

Yeah, the one offer I've received said that the university would pay the cost of my tuition for me. So it's like... if a friend picks up the tab for me at a restaurant. There was a bill, it was my bill, but someone else paid it. Hurray! But I never had the money so it shouldn't be taxed.

(Obviously I know nothing about any of this)

Sorry for not keeping you posted on Columbia. The faculty has not met to make final decisions yet, but I think they will do so tomorrow or Friday. They will probably send out notices next week though I can't tell you for sure when. I will ask tomorrow and see if I can get more precise information for all of you. Good luck:)

Sorry for not keeping you posted on Columbia. The faculty has not met to make final decisions yet, but I think they will do so tomorrow or Friday. They will probably send out notices next week though I can't tell you for sure when. I will ask tomorrow and see if I can get more precise information for all of you. Good luck:)

Thanks, gradster!!