PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, a prof from one of my schools called yesterday and we chatted for 30 minutes. He said many forward-looking things, but did not officially say, "You're in." If I do get in, it will be my only acceptance thus far. One of my other schools, MIT, made calls yesterday and I didn't get one, but that was a long shot anyway.

Still waiting on GW, G'town, American, and BU. I get the vibe that G'town has made a few calls, presumably to their top admits, which makes me think even if I do get in, it'll be without funding. I doubt the other D.C. schools offer funding. boo...

Oh well, the waiting continues.

I'm trying to remember:

1. It's out of my hands at this point, and

2. This will all be over in 3 weeks (right??)

About Gtown, I got an email invite for visiting day, and there were about 25 emails cc'ed. So unless they're planning to admit more people who aren't invited to the visiting day, it looks like they might be done.

Big Cheese,

Do you think this is a 100% guarantee that all those who did not hear are out? I assume so.

Thoughts?

i really don't know... but looking at the result page from last year.. two people posted acceptance notification via postal mail... :|

About Gtown, I got an email invite for visiting day, and there were about 25 emails cc'ed. So unless they're planning to admit more people who aren't invited to the visiting day, it looks like they might be done.

Damn... i just called them too and they said they are mailing out notifications the first week of march... wow this sucks..

It's official...I'm going to have an ulcer by next week.

Me too! I've become completely obsessed with looking at the results page. Its very unhealthy to keep refreshing that and my email every two seconds. But what I don't get is how some schools have sent out acceptances AND rejections, but I haven't heard anything!!! It's driving me crazy. I've come to the conclusion that I'm somewhere in the middle and they've only sent out results they were sure about and are now going through the maybes again. Though even that thought does not seem like a good thing lol. What do you guys think?

If there's anyone out there still waiting on Berkeley, I just spoke with a woman there in admissions. She said there are still a handful of applications that they have not yet made decisions on, but that hopefully by the end of the day Friday everyone will know their status.

Me too! I've become completely obsessed with looking at the results page. Its very unhealthy to keep refreshing that and my email every two seconds. But what I don't get is how some schools have sent out acceptances AND rejections, but I haven't heard anything!!! It's driving me crazy. I've come to the conclusion that I'm somewhere in the middle and they've only sent out results they were sure about and are now going through the maybes again. Though even that thought does not seem like a good thing lol. What do you guys think?

I'm realizing that I was spoiled early on in the process by two things: early acceptances and concrete information. I heard from my first four schools all within one week of each other (starting the last week of January) and I was accepted by all four. Since then, I feel like I've been caught in this awful cycle of obsession and speculation as I wait for news of the others to trickle in.

Re: G'town mailing notifications the first week of March... Does this mean that the 25 or so admits who got emails are in, and the rest of us will get our thin envelopes?

Or might there be more acceptances?

Georgetown was my last best hope of getting in somewhere I would go to as a top choice, not a safety.

Superstars rarely do ;)

Thanks. :oops:

More to do with the fact that even though it's not a great fit, at the time I was applying, I thought staying in Chicago would factor somewhat into my decision, but now turns out not to really sway me at all.

Re: G'town mailing notifications the first week of March... Does this mean that the 25 or so admits who got emails are in, and the rest of us will get our thin envelopes?

Or might there be more acceptances?

Georgetown was my last best hope of getting in somewhere I would go to as a top choice, not a safety.

I'm guessing thin envelops... looking at the results page, everyone got rejected via postal mail... hopefully i'm wrong

I'm realizing that I was spoiled early on in the process by two things: early acceptances and concrete information. I heard from my first four schools all within one week of each other (starting the last week of January) and I was accepted by all four. Since then, I feel like I've been caught in this awful cycle of obsession and speculation as I wait for news of the others to trickle in.

I'm in the same boat. I was accepted to Illinois before I even finished applying to schools! And from then on I was completely obsessed. Then came Irvine and Claremont and I felt like I was going to get results right away since they were so fast. But that was definitely not the case. I'm dying to hear from my DC schools as I'd love to be back in DC for grad school and wanting to finalize plans to take a visit out there. Very happy with my acceptances and trying not to be a brat about it, but I NEED TO KNOW ALREADY!!!

In the past, Georgetown has admitted a lot more than 25:

http://government.georgetown.edu/57323.html

I know times have changed, but it seems unlikely that they'd cut their classes THAT much given that they don't fund many of the people they accept.

I have a feeling they're doing things by subfield.

Great point! Now I can keep my hopes up for the time being!

To Intapp and others:

Thanks for the congratulations. Once I get the official mailing from MIT with the funding info in writing (I heard the rough figures from a professor over the phone, but I'm the kind of person who needs to see it before I believe it), I will notify UVA that I will not be attending. Hopefully this opens up a spot for one of you guys. :) UVA really looks like a great school, and I was fully prepared to go there before I heard from MIT.

Georgetown is probably done. They did the same thing last year. They contact the

few that they are going to fund(their top choices: not many since their

resources are pretty limited. Why, I never understood.) earlier in the process,

and also those that are wait-listed for funding, and then send out mass

e-mails to those that aren't receiving support(at least their first year).

So it's just not the 25, but the 15 or so that they have contacted previously.

Admittances to 40+ doesn't sound so outrageous, considering the state of

things.