Which is easier to get into - PhD in Industrial/Organizational or PhD in Social Psychology?

rhapsody24

Obviously this isn't an easy question to answer but based on your experiences or of others that you have known, which is easier to get into - PhD in Industrial/Organizational or PhD in Social Psychology? My choices are between the two programs.

Any input would be appreciated.

If I did get a PhD in either of these fields, I would not be looking for a job in academia - I want something outside of a university.

Edited by rhapsody24

This is a complicated question, but I will tell you what I have learned (and other people may say I am dead wrong!)

I would say that PhD programs in I/O psychology are easier to get into. For one thing, I think there are fewer applicants and therefore less competition, but I have also seen schools where they take a proportionally higher number of students into the I/O program. However, these programs weed out a lot of students with comps/quals. At my undergrad university, about half of the I/O grad students did not pass their comps and ended up leaving with a masters. With a masters in I/O psychology you can still get an awesome job, especially if you are looking for something outside of academia.

I haven't seen any social psychology programs where many students leave with just a masters, most of them tend to take fewer students but see them all through to getting their PhDs.

If you are dead set on getting a PhD, you can probably succeed in either area. If your interests are between social and I/O, it's probably a good idea to apply to programs on both sides.

If you want a job outside academia you probably don't need a PhD, a masters is probably sufficient. Check with people in your desired field to be sure.

Few people get MA's in social psychology, it's more common in I/O. I know some I/O programs that have a really great applied focus too, which is helpful for non-academic jobs.

The requirements for a job outside academia vary with the job. At the research company I used to work for (government and private social science research contracting), a master's degree greatly limited career options. In other fields and settings, a PhD might be a drawback.

• 2 weeks later...