How many?????

Sazzle

UK is correct, I believe. The first time around for me, I applied to two schools, was accepted to both. This time, I've applied to 4. We'll see what happens this round.

The fewer the applications, the more time you have to spend on each one. Depth is often better than breadth, imo.

UK is correct, I believe. The first time around for me, I applied to two schools, was accepted to both. This time, I've applied to 4. We'll see what happens this round.

The fewer the applications, the more time you have to spend on each one. Depth is often better than breadth, imo.

except that the fewer the schools, the less likely you'll be accepted to any.

in fact i've never heard anyone in academia recommending applying to anything less than 6 schools. (typically 2 reaches, 2 middle schools, 2 safeties. or sometimes 3 reach schools, and 3 middle schools, or any similar combination)

simply saying: "I applied to two schools, was accepted to both" does NOTHING to offer assurance to anyone except YOU! everybody has different stats, different goals, and will present different applications.

and dont forget how tight the economy is as well. i'd guess many schools will have a few cutbacks here and there in terms of funding. applying to just TWO schools is idiotic.

i'd recommend applying to as many schools as is financialy feasible for you, but i'd recommend probably cutting yourself off at 12.

I too think that it'd be idiotic to apply to as few as 4.

Even if you are a top candidate, how can you be so sure that those two programs are the best fits for you?

I knew that I would get into most schools I applied to, but I wasn't sure which would be the best, so I applied to 11.

While that was probably a waste of money, I would like to VISIT at least 5 schools.

Besides, I could use a free trip to New York and other places, if nothing else.

I've applied to three, considering a fourth Masters/safety program (it has a later deadline). These schools are all excellent fits for me and while I would love to get into any of them, it's not the end of the world if I don't. I'm able to reapply next year, so applying to schools that only sorta fit just to increase my odds is not something I'm interested in doing (this is for me personally, I imagine it's different for others in other fields). I realize that it is probably easier for me to find a job at least somewhat relevant to my interests for a year with a degree in Biology than it is for someone with a degree in English or Philosophy (from what I understand, at least), so my options are more open if I don't get in. That's not to say I'm not giving it my best shot this year, but I realize that some admissions decisions are completely out of my control (funding, sheer number of applicants, etc). Apply to as many programs that fit well for you (and fit by interests, not prestige of the school) without emptying your bank account or giving your recommenders a part-time job.

I applied to 16. One of my professors who I really respect applied to 14 when he was getting his PhD, and he got accepted to 2, only 1 w/funding, and he had some amazing stats. There are far too many variables at play in any application season, and to my understanding, most of what occurs in the process is far from logical. Last February he told me to apply to as many as I could afford (both time and money) and only to programs/schools that I truly felt good about (no bottom of the barrel stuff). I spent over 300 hours researching, writing individual personal statements, filling out online forms, checking and double checking, etc. I am crazy broke now, but I tell you what, every time I start to get overwhelmed with anxiety, thinking about my odds chills me out a little. I don't know about you, but that kind of peace of mind is priceless, especially as I'm finishing a master's thesis.

Bottom line:

1) how many schools do you feel sincerely good about?

2) look at the amount of time you can dedicate to each one (no sense shelling out $$ for a half-assed app).

3) how much can you realistically afford (take into consideration app fee, ETS score report fees, transcript fees, mail fees, ink cartridges (I went through 3!) Ideally, you'll also want to visit schools...

4) how supportive is your community? ex. You'd have to ask 3-4 profs to write letters. (I put together a very organized folder with specific directions and envelopes for each school, wrote sincere thank you letters, etc)

Look at the answers to these, and you'll get an idea of what's right for you.

On the flip side, the same prof told me if I got rejected from all 16 he'd laugh for days. :roll:

simply saying: "I applied to two schools, was accepted to both" does NOTHING to offer assurance to anyone except YOU! everybody has different stats, different goals, and will present different applications.

and dont forget how tight the economy is as well. i'd guess many schools will have a few cutbacks here and there in terms of funding. applying to just TWO schools is idiotic.

I too think that it'd be idiotic to apply to as few as 4.

You people need to chill. I've been reading your posts, and seriously, CHILL. There is nothing wrong with my posting my opinion on here, and no reason to be attacked like that. I did not do anything idiotic- in fact, maybe I'm smarter for it. I did my research BEFORE applying, knew what programs would fit, and applied. I don't have gazillions of dollars to waste on application fees as you apparently do.

You're quite rude to call me idiotic for applying to two and four schools and assuming I did not examine them for fit. While it's too late in this season for this, I think it's generally accepted that you do your research before the application season gets rolling. I did this, and was invited to interviews at each school. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

OP- don't get caught up in this too much. Do what is right for you. If you are applying to programs in which there are 20 or so that you could realistically be interested in without compromising your integrity as a researcher, then by all means apply to that many programs. However, if you happen to be like me and do your research ahead of time, find a good fit in a few programs, then do your thing. There's nothing wrong with that.

And just to clarify, I am not a top candidate. I just work hard and know exactly where my research interests lie. And, I visited the schools I was most interested in before I applied, as I mentioned. Some people on here need to lay off!

You're quite rude to call me idiotic for applying to two and four schools and assuming I did not examine them for fit.

when did i ever assume you didn't "examine the schools for fit"? i simply said it was idiotic to only apply to 2 schools period.

just because you fit doesn't imply you will automatically be accepted, which is why applying to 2 schools is ridiculously risky and should not be given as advice to others simply based on statistics alone.

I don't want to get in the middle of the name calling. I just want to declare, for the record, that a) I did 4 months of research and visited 4 schools 2) I started saving when I was accepted to my MA program in anticipation of applying for my PhD because I didn't want to have to do it again. I agree, there is more than one way to go about this, and this was my method.

Ha. You would be the Detriot Lions of PhD applications at 0/16.

THAT is hilarious, misterpat. Thanks for this--I'll use it as my badge of honor in the face of ultimate humiliation :lol:

I applied to only three doctoral programs this go-round, not because I'm cocky or stupid, but because there are very few programs specializing in my field. It's just my dumb luck that those programs are located at UChicago, Harvard, and Duke. I have a good stats--high GPA, solid GREs, and a number of first-author publications and presentations--but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about being accepted. That being said, I refused to waste money applying to safety programs with mediocre reputations or different research trajectories.

To the OP, apply to those programs that best match your research goals. Also, contact faculty as soon as possible, and make sure they remember your name. I met with faculty members from each of my schools at a national conference this summer, and after discussing my research interests with them, was offered positions in labs at Harvard and Duke. You may have stiff competition at some schools, but you'll benefit from having faculty advocates willing to fight for your admission.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry about that.

I am just of the opinion that, if the goal is to get into a desirable PhD program this year, one should apply to more than 5 schools, especially given the option to waive fees, and free travel (for some).

Idiotic was a very poor word choice... I just think that it'd a bit unwise for most and not the most ideal advice.

I applied to 6 schools for the MA and 6 (technically 7 but one was to stay where I was) for the PhD. In hindsight, there are 2 schools I shouldn't have bothered applying to for the MA and at least 3 I shouldn't have wasted time/money on when doing PhD applications. Honestly though, from websites and emails, the schools seemed like they'd be a good fit for me. It wasn't until I visited that I realized what awful choices some schools were...

It's hard to tell...there are two schools I visited before applying where I thought, after visiting, "gee, I shouldn't apply here" just due to discomfort and intimidation in meetings with professors. Afterwards I managed to convince myself I should apply anyway because they're doing things I want to do academically, and awkwardness at first meeting is probably curable. Who knows if that was a good idea or not, I guess I'll figure that out when admissions and funding decisions come back.

I think the total number of schools you apply to has to do with how badly you want to go to grad school...if you don't want to go to grad school unless you get into one of two or three particular schools, your chances of acceptance are probably statistically lower, but you want the degree itself less than someone who's willing to go to one of 20 schools that might not be as wonderful fits. And that's a totally fine way to prioritize, given the time and money required for applications. (I'm applying to 7 schools. Actually had to cut the list down, I felt like any more was excessive but I was too interested in each of the seven to cut more.)

I think it depends, too, on how competitive your top choice schools are. I ended up applying to 10 schools even though it was really expensive and I couldn't afford it very easily because it happened that my top choice advisors were at very competitive programs. If I had applied to, say, six programs, it would've been three schools that are so selective that their admissions are very unpredictable, plus two match schools and a safety. I wanted more than three maybe/likely schools on my list; at the same time, I felt like I wanted to take my chances at top programs. So 10 schools felt like the way to go.

I am not rich by any means...quite the opposite...but after looking at all my options and doing a cost/benefit analysis, it seemed to me that the cost of applying to a few additional programs was a worthy investment.

Albeit this is specific to me, but others might find themselves in the same boat. My undergraduate university was my safety, because I had essentially guaranteed admission with aid and it's well known in the field, and I know the faculty and like their research. I still wanted to go somewhere else to essentially "broaden my horizons", but I knew I had a good backup. This should help the incredulous ones among us :P

On the one hand, I agree that the idea of "safety" may be a little misleading. On the other hand, I think that you can make some calculated bets. In my case, they're schools with weaker programs overall but very interesting people in my subfield: places where, I hope, I could write an excellent dissertation, God willing, even though they aren't exactly prestigious institutions. For instance, I applied to Fordham's English Ph.D., which has fairly relaxed admissions standards (just one 5-7 pp. writing sample, for instance), because I feel I could do good work there for one reason and another.

Albeit this is specific to me, but others might find themselves in the same boat. My undergraduate university was my safety, because I had essentially guaranteed admission with aid and it's well known in the field, and I know the faculty and like their research. I still wanted to go somewhere else to essentially "broaden my horizons", but I knew I had a good backup. This should help the incredulous ones among us :P

My undergrad institution was my safety too.

Bottom line is, if you want to go to school this year and don't have the one and only school you want to do your PhD at (I'm not sure why anyone would have this but it's probably field-specific), more is better to a point.

I applied to 8 and already this is presenting an issue in scheduling interviews. There are maybe six or seven weekends that all grad schools (it seems) do their interviews. If you apply to several programs, be aware that you may have to prioritize and cut a school off your list without ever even going there.

I think that choice is truly your own. To put it in perspective I could apply for a PHD in science at a thousand schools and it wouldn't do me any good cause that was so not my major. If 10 schools feel like a good fit apply to ten. I've also heard stories of people only applying to one school and getting in. I just don't think it is wise to apply some where you don't like so you can have some where to be.