Is my academic background "competitive"?

Rachel B

I'm entering my senior year next week and already graduate school has me very nervous and overwhelmed. A lot of the programs I'm looking at are very vague and have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 and GRE of 1000. However, what I'm worried about is whether or not my academic background is considered "competitive." I really don't want an admission committee to laugh at my application even though I'm not applying to any top 10 programs.

I have an overall undergrad GPA of 3.21 and am majoring in Environmental Science and minoring in Biology. I received a 3.20 GPA my freshman year. I sort of slumped sophomore year due to some personal family issues and got a disappointing 2.9. I got my stuff together last year (junior year) and received a 3.44 for the year and a 3.6 for last semester (I even made Dean's List). I took the GRE twice this summer and received a crappy 960 the first time, but did much better the second time (Q: 680-710, V: 510-610). I also have done a bit of research and fieldwork, am doing an internship this fall, and am involved in an academic honor society.

My main concern is that the numeric aspects of my application (GPA and GRE) aren't that impressive. Could outstanding recommendations and a focused and committed SoP put me on a competitive level? Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

I think one thing that most committees will note with your numbers is your constant improvement both with the GPA and GRE. With that said, you still will need good recommendations and a great SoP. I just say this because maybe at some schools you can get funding. Also, I would advise to look at some better programs as well because the jump on the GRE should give you more options, thus making you feel better about your chances.

Your numbers look fine to me. Don't dwell on them, and don't let your confidence waver. Focus on producing a great SOP and demonstrate your knowledge of the field and what you want to actually achieve - there's no need for you to worry about things you can no longer control (especially since your numbers won't preclude you from anywhere, by any standard). Your improvement on the GRE is a good sign, and the score on the Quantitative section will serve you well, given that you'll be on the scientific end of the spectrum.

An applicant with fieldwork, research, and internship experience is very desirable in this field. Admissions in any environmental discipline will give significant value to that commitment, while gaining exposure to actual issues.

I'm in a similar situation, just on the policy side. If you have any questions, want to talk about specific programs, etc., please feel free to send me a PM. You shouldn't rule out "top 10" programs, either. If there's a program that really matches your interests, give it a shot.

Edited by cunninlynguist