New GRE as retake?

Clay Made

I've decided to retake the GRE. Although, I have good scores (Q740, V700), that got me into Harris and USC, I feel I can do better and with more of a window this time, it would be beneficial for scholarships.

Obviously, the new GRE is out. I have had a brief look at it and for the most part it looks good. My question was for someone who has done the whole studying thing for the old GRE, and is reasonably well versed, how long do you reckon I need to spend? I know this is subjective but still, any insights from someone who has done the new test would be great. :)

(sorry for the double post - thought this is the more appropriate place!)

Are you going for an MS or a PhD, and in what field. These scores would get you into very competitive programs in many of the sciences, but I think it is utterly insane that you are thinking about taking the GRE again. The problem is obviously not you scores, it is most likely in other parts of your application. Did you write one blanket SOP for every school, if so, you may want to spend your time fixing that. Also, are you sure that your LOR were solid? Some LOR writers write letters, in spite of the fact that they have nothing positive to say about the student; which, I feel is unethical, but hey. You have a 1440 composite, with 70+% in each area, you don't need to take the GRE again; unless, you are trying for a MS or PhD in Engineering or Physics, where getting at least a 760 Q is the norm for most programs.

Are you going for an MS or a PhD, and in what field. These scores would get you into very competitive programs in many of the sciences, but I think it is utterly insane that you are thinking about taking the GRE again. The problem is obviously not you scores, it is most likely in other parts of your application. Did you write one blanket SOP for every school, if so, you may want to spend your time fixing that. Also, are you sure that your LOR were solid? Some LOR writers write letters, in spite of the fact that they have nothing positive to say about the student; which, I feel is unethical, but hey. You have a 1440 composite, with 70+% in each area, you don't need to take the GRE again; unless, you are trying for a MS or PhD in Engineering or Physics, where getting at least a 760 Q is the norm for most programs.

Agreed.

Don't waste the money on retaking it with your scores. You can easily apply to another program with the money you save. Work on other aspects of your app. that you may think were not your strong point last time around. On another note, the programs you were admitted to were not bad programs by any means so maybe just consider applying to similar type programs you know provide better funding. Look at NRC data and you can see statistics on this.

For other people thinking about retaking it though, I don't think you will have to put much time into studying for the revised test if you have taken the old one. The quant. portion hasn't really changed much and while the verbal portion has, having studied all the vocab prior you may just want to refresh some, because while there aren't any antonyms you do have to know what words mean and synonyms some.

Actually, I didn't study any with the exception of a few powerpoints and old gre flashcards and I did fine.

I'm applying for Public Policy and International Relations programs. I was lucky with my score as I only studied for about 4 weeks so I think with more time to do so, I can get even better scores. I think my LOR can definitely be better. I am contacting the same professors but with more work experience and having two articles published in the past year as well as being a regular contributor to an online newspaper, my app is looking stronger already. Other things are out of my control really. My PS is good (if I say so myself!) so the GRE score is the one I am aiming for.

Also forgot. I didnt write a blanket statement, more had a template (as the programs were the same relatively but had different aspects that I was interested in) and altered it as needed.

Don't waste the money on retaking it with your scores. You can easily apply to another program with the money you save. Work on other aspects of your app. that you may think were not your strong point last time around. On another note, the programs you were admitted to were not bad programs by any means so maybe just consider applying to similar type programs you know provide better funding. Look at NRC data and you can see statistics on this.

For other people thinking about retaking it though, I don't think you will have to put much time into studying for the revised test if you have taken the old one. The quant. portion hasn't really changed much and while the verbal portion has, having studied all the vocab prior you may just want to refresh some, because while there aren't any antonyms you do have to know what words mean and synonyms some.

Actually, I didn't study any with the exception of a few powerpoints and old gre flashcards and I did fine.

Yeah the programs are good. I am applying to Harris again. I couldnt defer as I missed the deadline so was left with reapplying. I'm looking at IR programs like Yale, Stanford and with small cohorts, I need to stand out to be granted a good scholarship.

I'm applying for Public Policy and International Relations programs. I was lucky with my score as I only studied for about 4 weeks so I think with more time to do so, I can get even better scores. I think my LOR can definitely be better. I am contacting the same professors but with more work experience and having two articles published in the past year as well as being a regular contributor to an online newspaper, my app is looking stronger already. Other things are out of my control really. My PS is good (if I say so myself!) so the GRE score is the one I am aiming for.

Why do you feel your GRE scores need improvement? The GRE is not as significant as you seem to believe, and your energy is better spent refining the aspects of your application that do matter, like others have suggested.

Yeah the programs are good. I am applying to Harris again. I couldnt defer as I missed the deadline so was left with reapplying. I'm looking at IR programs like Yale, Stanford and with small cohorts, I need to stand out to be granted a good scholarship.

I am a little confused by this, is your main goal academia or a policy career? Also, now that you mention a few programs you are interested in I do see why you may consider retaking the test, but really I still think you would be better concentrating on other sections of the application.

Another question, generally, how many programs are people applying to? I have spotted 10 that interest me definitely but another 4 that has some intriguing bits! How did you decide?!

I originally had a list of about 15, throughout the summer I did a lot of reading of various work by POI and was able to cut the list down some by getting a better idea of fit with each program. Now, I am estimating I will apply to between 6 or 8 programs, both because this what I can afford and I feel it will at least give some option. Really it's about comfort and not regretting after the fact. If you can honestly see yourself at 10 different programs and think you have a chance at each apply to 10 if you can afford it. You know your chances given you have had a previous admission cycle under your belt. I also talked to the people that are writing my recommendations some and they have advised on which programs would be better for both my interests and career goals. Factors such as location, weather, and cost of living I will analyze later once I hear about acceptances.