CSULB Policy Concentration

smar635

I am hoping to start my MSW program with an emphasis in Policy and Administration. I'm conflicted about which school to go. I've been accepted to (and am in the process of deferring) my enrollment to CSULB. I was initially planning on attending Loma Linda University, but the price tag has me a little scared. After I graduate, I'm looking at having about 80k in debt if I go to LLU. These are the questions I am struggling with. 1) CSULB has offered me more scholarships, but they only have a clinical emphasis, should I go there? Although they do not offer a policy concentration, I was told I could have a more administrative based internship placement during my second and final year of the program. I could also substitute policy analysis and grant writing for my thesis requirement. I know I ultimately want to end up in a policy based career, not clinical. However, I wouldn't mind working in a clinical position for a short time after graduating to pay the bills. 2) Does anyone, specifically MSW's with a policy emphasis, have advice on either school?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Have you considered Cal State Dominguez Hills' MSW program? They have a Community Capacity Building concentration that focuses on the administrative aspect of social work. Here's the link:

http://csudh.edu/cps.../curriculum.htm

The price of the program is similar (if not the same) as Cal State Long Beach. CSUDH also offers multiple stipends and scholarships. It is in Carson, CA which is not far from Long Beach at all.

Hope that helps!

- Eileen

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Eileen, I see you're applying for Fall 2012 around the LA area too! Have you finished your applications? I'm applying to those three schools plus four others including SF, Chico, East Bay, and San Jose. I just hope I get in somewhere! Good Luck!

I guess we're all on the MSW track.

My interest in the MSW program is within policy analysis too. I'm actually hesitating to apply to Long Beach for the same reason that it doesn't have the curriculum I'm targeting towards. Have you looked into the CalSWEC program offered at Long Beach? I know that they will pay for your education for two years, if you give them 2 years in DFCS. It is clinical work, but it might be something to look at.

Hey Eileen, I see you're applying for Fall 2012 around the LA area too! Have you finished your applications? I'm applying to those three schools plus four others including SF, Chico, East Bay, and San Jose. I just hope I get in somewhere! Good Luck!

Hi Lisbeth,

I plan on turning my applications in tomorrow and Tuesday at the latest. I applied to the same programs last year but was waitlisted and never got off of it. Hopefully I'll get in this time around. I have more experience in the mental health field than when I turned in my applications last year (I now work at a mental health agency) so hopefully that will help. I revised my personal statement and got a stronger letter of recommendation too.

I really want to get in. Good luck to us!

- Eileen

• 3 weeks later...

I am hopefully turning my applications in this week. Let me encourage you re: CSULB... A MSW degree is a MSW degree. Your internships are where you will gain your experience and knowledge. Therefore, if you are looking for policy and capacity building, express that in your application. However, if you want a program that approaching community building, you might want to look @ UCLA - they have dual degree programs. Personally, I am applying to as many programs as possible.

• 6 months later...

Hi Lisbeth,

I plan on turning my applications in tomorrow and Tuesday at the latest. I applied to the same programs last year but was waitlisted and never got off of it. Hopefully I'll get in this time around. I have more experience in the mental health field than when I turned in my applications last year (I now work at a mental health agency) so hopefully that will help. I revised my personal statement and got a stronger letter of recommendation too.

I really want to get in. Good luck to us!

- Eileen

Hey what made you pick CSDH over long beach I am having a hard time picking between those schools