LOR all from professors?

Clay Made

I have a number of internships under my belt. I applied last year to some MPP programs and got accepted, however due to family issues, I could not attend.

I am applying again for Spring and Fall 2012, and need some advice.

I have 2 recs no problem, however from my internship, the person, I got a rec from the previous occasion is no longer there and I cannot get in touch with that person. I have had part-time jobs but I desperately need a professional recommendation.

Do you think it would be weird to have recommendations all from professors, when I have done two internships in the past year and have done several more over college?

Will a school like Fletcher accept 3 recs from professors? (have spoken to them and they said its OK but I am sceptical!)

Thanks!

I have the same problem, I am appliying to Berkeley and they told me that 3 Professor rec are better, since they need to evaluate me in an academic background. But I though it was better if I sent 1 letter from my current job, which is related to the field I am applying to. It seemed weird to me that they werent interest on it

Three LORs from professors isn't a concern if they can all speak directly about your strengths and litter the recommendations with anecdotes and evidence of your prowess. You said you've done 2 internships in the past year, though -- can you request anyone from those to write you a LOR?

Since you're going for a MPP, it'd be ideal to offer a professional reference.

Three LORs from professors isn't a concern if they can all speak directly about your strengths and litter the recommendations with anecdotes and evidence of your prowess. You said you've done 2 internships in the past year, though -- can you request anyone from those to write you a LOR?

Since you're going for a MPP, it'd be ideal to offer a professional reference.

Exactly why I want to give a professional reference. However, I worked with small teams and the managers I reported to, one wrote a reference initially but has now left that position whilst the other one I cannot get a hold of. Its really disconcerting. I dont want to lose this opportunity once again.

I am going to go and speak to all three professors and really hammer home my strengths in the hopes they can recognise my dedication.

I still think, having those internships, a lack of a professional recommendation does not speak well for me. Am I being paranoid?

If your 3 professor references are good, I don't think it'll be a red flag. However, if the third professor isn't enthusiastic, it'll show, and then the adcomm might wonder why you didn't get it from an internship supervisor.

You shouldn't beat yourself up about it, however. There's only so much you can do in tracking people down! One of my references actually wrote me a letter last year and now he's in a very notable state governmental position -- and, consequently, is difficult to reach. I'm trying to get through the red tape and contact his actual office so that I can still use him.

All three of my academic references ought to be very good and they seem very enthusiastic. I am still a little concerned. Did you guys read your recommendations prior to submitting, i.e. tick the box asking to see it. I have another back up option from a professor, who said to me to write my own reference and he will submit it but I dont really feel comfortable doing this.

Another reference academic hasnt responded to me as of yet, despite me sending several emails.