some or all of:

- list of schools you're applying to with deadlines

- links to websites of these schools

- current draft of SOP

- one or more papers written for the recommender's class

- CV/resume

- transcripts

- writing sample

How much detail you provide depends on how well the recommender knows you and what information they ask for. You can propose to send all the above information and ask which they would like to receive. Also inquire about reminders: does the recommender need reminders? How often?

I think I just sent them the list of programs I was applying to and a resume/CV. I didn't include my SoP because I honestly didn't think it was that important to my application (maybe I was naive) and I also seem to recall I hadn't written it fully yet.

Hmm. In resumes/CVs to give to recommenders, did/would you include a list of classes pertinent to the programs you're applying to? This may be a moot point for PhD students who are continuing in the field they majored in, but I'm applying to professional programs that are a bit of a leap from my major.

- My SoP wasn't finished last time I asked my recommenders, but I included an outline/draft so that they had a sense of what I wanted to do.

- Definitely include a CV.

- The only reason I didn't include a writing sample was because they already had samples of my writing.

- I gave them a spreadsheet that had all of the following, listed in deadline order: deadline, name of school, name of department, degree names (some where PhD in rhet comp, others were PhD in English with rhet comp specialization), whether the school preferred letterhead, whether the school asked for online or hardcopy letters, and whether the school asked for additional forms along with the LoR.

For paper recommendations, I printed out the forms, filled out whatever I could (like personal information) and gave my recommenders the forms along with addressed envelopes that clearly marked which forms belonged to which school (no stamps because all the schools I applied to allowed me to pick up the letters and send them myself along with the rest of the paper-materials--transcripts, etc--as part of my packet). These forms, along with the electronic ones, featured in my list of schools-and-deadlines. With permission of my recommenders, the deadline we chose for paper-forms was prior to the actual application submission deadline, so I'd have enough time to pick the letters up and mail them.

Re: course list: you should include everything that is relevant and that your recommenders agree to review. In a case where you have less background, it sounds like adding a list of relevant coursework would be a good idea. The worst that could happen is that they choose not to mention your background--but that would happen anyway if you don't give them the information, so the way I see it you have nothing to lose.