Anyone ever gotten a LOR from a colleague?

Clay Made

I'm getting one from a coworker for my 3rd letter for schools that need that many. I think it would depend on the field though. I'm in education, and this coworker has a higher degree than I have, a lot more experience, is several years older than I am, and is technically the head teacher for our grade, although it's not a supervisory position but a coordinating one. So if your jobs are in the same field as the field you're applying for, and the coworker has some credibility (higher degree, more experience, etc.) to be able to evaluate you as a candidate, I would say it's ok, but if they're really exactly at your level in every way, they might not have the credibility to be able to attest to your abilities and all that, from the p.o.v. of the admissions committee... My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

to expand on this question-- I started a nonprofit and I asked one of the volunteers I recruited to write me a LoR. Is that normal? Would you have other recommendations for me? I am technically 'the boss' so I dont really have anyone in a supervising role to write it for me.

Ideas?

Thanks

DWD

DancesWithDogs-Have you thought about asking colleagues in your field or past supervisors? I've never heard of asking somebody in a lower rank to provide a recommendation, and it does seem odd.

I think it's fine to ask co-workers for letters, but only as a last resort. I would rule out all other options first including past professors and supervisors. I was having trouble finding a third letter and was going to ask co-workers, but I thought better of it and decided to ask a few more professors first, thinking a letter from one of them would carry more weight. One of my old psychology professors agreed and I am much happier with this recommendation than I would have been with one from a colleague. So if you're having trouble, don't give up yet! I sat down and made a list of all the professors who could possibly write on my behalf, and just started sending out e-mails. I thought they wouldn't remember me that well but I turned out to be pleasantly surprised there.

@jellybean24

thanks! I did end up goign with the volunteer-- I hope im not sorry for it. I just cant find any way to capture how much heart and work went into my nonprofit startup, esp since i started it myself and that was my first time ever in the nonprofit field.

but still got my professor and academic advisor in too!

thanks!