Skipping the AW altogher

fullofpink

I'm not planning to do this, but it's fun to think about: since the AW score is a bit pointless for many disciplines, has anyone ever thought to just skip it, accept the 0, and save an hour's/45 minutes worth of thinking over nothing?

Even better - has anyone ever done this? If so, how did it work out for you?

Edit: Sorry for the typo!

Edited by fullofpink

Other people have posed similar questions, but I would absolutely regard it as a legitimate portion of the test and, as a result, treat it worthy of effort.

Even if you question its validity as an indicator of writing and analytical skills, it's still a component of the test. Nobody really likes it, and a lot of departments state that it is not a major consideration. However, some programs and institutions require a minimum score on all 3 sections. It would be a shame if you missed out on a fellowship or even admission because you didn't participate in a simple 5-paragraph essay exercise. All you need to do is achieve a 3.5 or 4.0 to be safe; just read a couple of sample essays beforehand and it won't be a problem.

I would also be curious if anyone has done it and if there were any consequences. The AW section is not demanding of time -- and, frankly, brainpower. Worst-case scenario: can you imagine being rejected from your #1 school because your missing AW score drew negative attention? That would suck.

You don't want to give the admissions office an excuse to think you're lazy.

And even if your statement of purpose is sterling, they might suspect that you had help on that essay and faltered on the AW because you had nobody to help you.

Hm, are you giving them the illusion that you are lazy and possibly a weak writer when you have tons of relevant working experience (managing projects, supervising, conducting tons of research, and publishing), you submit some of your published articles as writing samples, and maybe your undergraduate thesis won a departmental/university award for achievement?

But I do see the point of "why didn't they just try?" lol

• 2 weeks later...

I can see why it could be considered cheating. you raised your points on the V and Q with opting out from useless part.GRE is designed to be a psychological test too in my opinion. At least I suspect those horrible reading prompts are just there to make you angry ,frustrated and exhausted before you start the important part of the test.