SOP opinions?

sacklunch

Hey ya'll,

I'm currently in an MTS program doing biblical studies planning to apply for another masters and possible PhD (maybe 2 or 3 really great schools) this fall. Basically my MTS has been sort of a post-bac., giving me more language exposure, as well as a handful of advanced seminars that have honed my interests. My questions are:

1. Do you think I need to mention why I want another masters? I know quite a few doctoral students who have two master's degrees, so it seems reasonable to get another masters, but I am unsure if I need to address this in my SOP. Since I have spent a considerable time taking languages courses, I have had less time for courses that really delve into primary sources.

2. Should I address my less than stellar GRE scores? I am still waiting for my scores from the revised test, but judging from what they gave me as a preliminary score I suspect they won't be amazing. I have spoke with some who say mentioning might help your app, but then others say why mention a weak point of your application.

thoughts?

thanks!

I too have a "less than stellar" GRE score, but I'm not mentioning this in my SOP. Why? Because SOP's are for highlighting your strengths, not giving the adcoms ideas as to why they should not accept you. If you must, you could attach an addendum to your SOP explaining your GRE score. But I wouldn't even do that unless you had a very compelling reason for doing bad on the GRE. If you just make excuses it's going to make you look bad. You could always share your GRE scores with your recommenders and have them address the issue in their letter, by saying that your score is not a true reflection of your abilities.

Bah, religion M* programs barely look at GRE scores in the first place. (It's possible this may go double this year due to the altered test? I know they've been doing the "experimental" section for years to get baseline score ideas, but still). If you're talking about something like, say, a 600 total, then maybe I could see it being worth an explanation. :lol: As far as PhD programs go, if the school gets to the point where they're reading your SOP, then you've already passed the GRE hurdle and you have little to worry about on those grounds. Scores seem to matter mostly for extra fellowship money from the university/graduate school once you've already been admitted. Those people aren't going to be reading your SOP.

As for explaining why you want a second master's--absolutely. Not just because you don't want to come across as the perpetual master's students, but because it's simply part of your story, your academic trajectory. Where do you want to be, how will Z program help you get there? It also gives you a chance to brag about your languages. ;)

And I agree, many of the Western theo PhD students I know came in with multiple master's, especially those working in biblical and earlier historical (medieval, patristics) fields. This is probably a combination of necessary language work, wanting more classes, and tough admissions pools.