confused about GRE score expiration

flagler20

Most (all?) schools require GRE scores to be no more than 5 years old. What's so complicated about that, right? Well, for me at least, it's a bit confusing. To start with, the interpretation hinges on who determines the validity of the scores. Since ETS automatically purges all GRE scores that are more than 5 years old, is it that grad departments everywhere simply assume that if an official GRE score from ETS has been sent in with an application that it must meet the 5 year requirement? Or do departments check the scores for the date of the exam anyways? You might think there's no difference, but in fact there is. I didn't find out until recently that not only is it 5 calendar years that scores are aged by (as opposed to it being to the month or day), but the calendar ETS goes by begins in July, not January. That means that if you took the GRE on July 1 then your scores would be valid a whole 6 years (real time). But if departments check the date then I suppose departments could have their own policies, such as going by the month, and invalidating a score if, say, the 5 year mark was in July and the application submitted in October....

If you're wondering why I haven't asked someone in the departments I'm looking into, I have. And they either don't respond at all, or the question doesn't register with them and they respond with the same standard ambiguous policy statement from their website. Anybody know the deal?

If you're wondering why I haven't asked someone in the departments I'm looking into, I have.

Who are you asking and how (that is, through which medium--phone, email, letter)?

There are also a number of programs that want scores from within the last two years- and that's usually by the calendar.

It all comes down to what the department wants- don't worry about what ETS does or says as much as each individual school.

If they aren't responding to e-mails, call the school. There's no substitute for first hand knowledge. That said, is there some particular reason why you're worrying about scores that old? Normally, you would take the GRE as you apply, and should only have to worry about the scores being a couple of years old at most. Do you have a set of scores that's on the edge now, and are worried if they'll be accepted? If so, giving more specifics might help. Otherwise, don't worry about playing on hypothetical "what happens several years in the future" scenarios. If you have to, you can always just take it again.

Edited by Eigen

This actually is a puzzling question. From what I have read and been told in the process is that schools just want to see scores that are recent and that are valid. With that said, I think the reason behind the confusion is that ETS does try to follow some type of academic calendar, after all the people that are taking the test are students.

I wouldn't be asking if it was only hypothetical. I just graduated from a masters program. I won't go into the details of the masters program, but it is unique in that after the first year of classes there is a 2 year hiatus during which research is conducted, then followed by another year in school to finish up (making it 4 years altogether). Some of you may know what I'm referring to. But this means that the 5 year mark from the date of my GRE was the end of August. But of course if it's by calendar year then my scores are still only 5 years old and will be until 2012. I am in no mood to study for the GRE at this point, don't have the time to study, and I know I would do worse. Another reason I'm reluctant to continue e-mailing the department or calling them is because I consider the fact that I'm coming out of a masters program, and that I'm an attractive candidate in respects that would only really be conveyed through the application, to be extenuating factors if there was any room for leniency. But they almost surely aren't going to suggest the policy is lenient to some random person who inquires over e-mail or the phone. And if an answer has to be consulted with other faculty, and I get the response that I'm dreading, then it almost rules out the chance of my scores slipping through.

By coming here I just hoped to be reassured, but now I'm more worried.

I would imagine most schools do it by the date, but you really should call the department(s) and ask. The other option is that they would do it by the year, and since most applications aren't reviewed until Jan or Feb, that will put it in 2012, and over 5 years that way, as well.

Again, I'll encourage you to call the departments and ask. You seem to think that calling might make it so that your scores either wouldn't slip through, or you wouldn't get as lenient of an answer, but I'd say it's better to know up front.

It would really suck for them not to catch the fact that your scores are older than they'll allow sometime in the middle of the application cycle next spring, at which point you won't have time to take the GRE and get in that cycle. Better to bite the bullet now and know one way or another.

I'll also add that it's rarely up to the department to grant leniency from things like old scores- that's usually something set at a higher level in the administration.

The department, however, might overlook lower more recent scores in the light of your research experience and masters, understanding that you've been away from undergrad much longer, hence your GRE scores would be worse. They'd more likely be looking for you to be above the acceptable minimum instead of "competitive" with the rest of your application being attractive.

Edited by Eigen

Even if an application isn't reviewed until 2012 I think the 5 year rule applies to when an application is submitted, not when it is reviewed.

Anyways, I'm trying to allay my concerns by e-mailing departments I have no interest in. If most of them respond positively then I might e-mail the appropriate department again. It's just that I e-mailed two separate people (grad sec. and grad coord.) a while ago about the issue, and even though I mis-stated the problem at the time, I never got a reply. If they're that annoyed and uncaring about such concerns then I press my luck to persist, lest they decide on a hard and fast rule on the spot.

Edited by flagler20