Chances at top H-CI comp sci graduate schools

habanero

Hi! I'd be so grateful if someone could review my 'profile' and tell me my chances of acceptance. I will be applying for a PhD. I am applying to Carnegie, WashU, Berkeley, Stanford, U of Maryland, Purdue, and UWashington (I've been looking at Rice, but it is through the psych department!). If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.

1) BS in Comp Sci/BA in Liberal Arts, but I went to a school with very long written evaluations instead of grades. The school is NOT known for research. My evaluations for my major are, for the most part, very strong. Many mention that my exams were among the best in the class. My GPA would be around a 3.7 or 3.8.

2) Lots of research experience in a few different labs. One was for one year + and I did lots of research technician type things, worked on grants, wrote manuals for instruments, wrote controls for instruments, and helped submit a grant to the NIH with another undergraduate that was very nearly funded. The letter of rec from that professor will be very strong. My other letter of rec will also be strong.

3) I don't know what my GRE scores are yet--my verbal is certainly 99th percentile no matter low or high, and my quant, at worst, is 80th percentile. The ranges are throwing me off! My AW is probably a 5 or a 5.5.

4) My letter of purpose will be strong. I have lots of interests and will be able to happily apply to many different labs.

5) I worked as a tutor for a few years and my boss also was my teacher for multivariable/linear algebra. My letter of rec should be very strong for mathematical and teaching abilities.

6) I was one of two women in my upper div comp sci classes--I really love the subject.

I'm aware of my weaknesses, but I would like to know if my strong points might be enough to get me into good schools. Thank you!