I already posted this in the Applied Math forum and got no response, so here it goes. First of all, let me state that I'm writing an SOP for a PHD in Statistics for the Fall of 2012.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the SOP are? I know that you should display your research abilities since a PHD program is all about research. Do you think listing professors is relevant or required? Should I also address any deficiencies I have - for example, I have a few poor grades. How detailed do I need to be in my research interests and any relevant projects I've done?

Also, I've been working for a year and realize that it's not for me. I have various reasons - I want to be more creative, I think working 9 - 5 kind of sucks, I feel that I'm not being intellectually stimulated. Are these good reasons to list for my reason to pursue the PHD, or will it be looked down upon? I can see how professors might translate this as meaning that I'm not focused, and can't deal with drudgery.

Lastly, has anyone else experienced a lack of motivation to write their SOP? Today is the 2nd time I've sat down and really tried to write one, and failed again. For me, it's such an intimidating thing to write. Maybe I need to stop thinking about it so much...

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling. I've written about 600 words so far, and know exactly what I need to say in the remaining 400 or so, but I just don't know how to say it. If it were a personal e-mail I'd get everything across with ease. But to do so artfully and persuasively causes me to second guess myself the whole time I write.

And you definitely want to mention professors. Most departments require you to identify a professor who would be a suitable adviser. Even if no requirement is stated it shows that you have researched the department and know what you are applying to.

I would say the SOP should be all about your strengths. Never draw attention to something like poor grades. What you need to do instead is advertise something about your experience or background that makes up for the poor grades and hope that they see it as compensating. For example if your poor grades were in a particular subject, but your work experience or professional accomplishments prove good knowledge or proficiency in that subject then talk that up.

I have heard that an SOP for a PhD should be 60% future (what you want to do) and 40% past (what you've done). We all want to talk about how great or inspiring our lives were to lead us up to this point, but you want to get INTO the program so you can keep moving forward.

Personally, I think you should lightly touch on the fact that you found out 9-to-5 work wasn't for you - tie it all back to the fact you want to continue the learning process, be intellectually stimulated by admittance into the PhD program, and be innovative with your ideas in the field, given proper training and support. Make it clear that your interpretation of higher education is not "drudgery," but creativity, progress, and optimism.

Granted, I am still working on mine as well, but I definitely have not written the bulk of it in one fell swoop. I've had the document on my computer for a few months now, only pulling it up when I feel especially motivated or if I happened to remember an awesome phrase / concept that I could work in there. Lucky that we have digital word processors that you can type whatever and drag it around afterwards. Maybe it would help to not write it beginning to end; just start typing, really get into the meat and potatoes of your interests, and you can edit it to your liking after.

Good luck!

Actually, I don't think you really need to mention your dissatisfaction with the working world (which I can imagine could easily look like trying to "escape back into school" to an adcom).

I'd instead suggest you concentrate on telling the adcom what your career goals are and why you need to get your degree—and even better, why you need to study at their program—in order to achieve your career goals. If you express this strongly enough, you won't need to tell them you're dissatisfied with working life. It'll be implied.

I actually didn't list specific professor names in my SoP, and instead talked about general research trends and strengths of the program. I was advised by my DGS to be careful about dropping names, unless I really thoroughly understood the political climate of the department I was applying to. But, others feel just as strongly about the opposite approach. It also might vary by field.

You should in some way show that you're a strong fit for their program. Whether you do that by dropping names or in other ways is up to you.

To piggy back on this thread: If funding is competitive in the department, should the SOP be used to explicitly state what type of assistantship you want and explain why you are qualified for it? For example, if TA-ships or RA-ships are available (how) would you indicate your interest in one?

check the applications carefully: some of my applications actually asked for separate materials if applying for an assistantship (a separate statement, teaching philosophy, CV, etc.), so in that case you wouldn't want to waste space in your SoP talking up your TA/RA pedigree.

if the application does not have specific areas for assembling material for RA/TA consideration, perhaps spend a very short paragraph or portion of a paragraph (2-3 sentences) discussing your qualifications. but remember, the focus of the document is on you as a lively, thoughtful scholar.