MFA

dragynally

I think that it's because they have a more subjective process than standard graduate applications for most programs. Most programs have the GPA, the GRE and letters of recommendation, maybe a CV or resume. The most important thing in an art program is the portfolio, and from what i understand, most schools are not only looking at how good your portfolio is, but how it fits in with their program, and with the rest of the applicants.

It certainly feels frustrating, although, I don't think most programs have offered decisions at this point.

my snarky reply:

Because they know our writers of letter of rec are flaky art educators who ask about deadlines the day before the letters are due despite the fact that we supplied that information a long time ago, so they have a built-in grace period of a week or two before the real, albeit hidden, deadline.

Seriously, I don't know why.

I am not going to stress about the lack of support and lack of concern on the part of my so-called recommenders. Believe me, these are the best of their ilk, but that's not saying much.

It's a long boring story, but....I took a chance, a long shot, that I, an older non-trad student, with a second major at a very basic state school, but with some personal/professional art experience, would even consider the concept of going to "art school" let alone grad school.

I stopped with my excuses a while ago, but for some reason I was not prepared to have my LOR people f me over. I just told one of them, I'm SURE it's FINE it [ the letter] is a little late.

What could I say, thanks for dropping the ball, now go write me a glowing recommendation?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...

I was starting to wonder if organizational skills of the programs were playing into a lot of the acceptances posted on results search being science and math oriented, but I didn't want to stereotype.

Why have I been checking my admission status on an almost daily basis? :lol:

Wow...

I was starting to wonder if organizational skills of the programs were playing into a lot of the acceptances posted on results search being science and math oriented, but I didn't want to stereotype.

Why have I been checking my admission status on an almost daily basis? :lol:

Because if you don't check it everyday the application Gnomes might steal it :D

• 8 months later...

Haha,

I applied to one grad program five years ago. Just one, but I had met a few of the faculty and they liked my work, and oh yeah, my mom had recently gotten a job as the secretary for the department. Well, long story short, I got a letter saying, we regret to inform you that we cannot accept your application for admission at this time because your file is incomplete...my letters of recommendation hadn't all shown up. I feel your pain. That was discouraging enough that I haven't even bothered to apply again until now. At least I know who not to ask for recommendations this time around. Too bad my mom has moved on to a different department in the university.