TOP Engineering Admission?

George2248

Ok I just took the GRE and I now have a more complete profile for my application.

I plan to apply to a MS in Construction Management, Engineering and Project Management or Engineering Management in the following Universities:

1. Berkeley (CEE Department)

2. Stanford (CEE Department)

3. Columbia (CEE Department)

4. Illinois Urbana (CEE Department)

5. Cornell (Engineering Management Dept.)

6. Duke (Engineering Management Dept.)

My profile is the following:

• I finished my BS in Civil Engineering 4 months ago in a Top University in Caracas, Venezuela. I graduated top of a 20 students class and my GPA is 17/20 (about 3.4)
  • I have no background or experience in the US education system. I just studied English for 6 months in LA after I graduated from Highschool.
  • I have been working in a my family Construction Company for about a year. I did my intership there.
  • I did a research thesis in order to obtain my BS, its subjects related to construction planning and control.
  • I have relatively good LOR, specially the professor I did my thesis with, but since they are professors that do not speak English fluently I am a little afraid they might not be perfect.
  • My GRE scores are: 740 - 800 MATH , 630 - 730 VERBAL

Ok with this profile, I was wondering If I should be aiming to the top Engineering Universities as I mentioned, or should I lower my expectations?

Also If anyone have any experience of International students getting in successfully in those top Programs I appreciate your feedback....

Thanks for your time and help

Hey! I consider you have a competitive profile, but it would advice you to keep real on your expectations. These universities have a great amount of rejection, no matter how strong is your profile. However, if you are just looking for admission you could have a good chance! Good Luck!

Hey! I consider you have a competitive profile, but it would advice you to keep real on your expectations. These universities have a great amount of rejection, no matter how strong is your profile. However, if you are just looking for admission you could have a good chance! Good Luck!

I am afraid I might end up with nothing, maybe I need some safety schools

I am afraid I might end up with nothing, maybe I need some safety schools

I would say it is ok to have a few safety schools. However, let me suggest you Gatech. Their program is very very good in your field and having urs stats, I am 95% sure they are accepting uoy. It is top 3 ranked in CEE Masters program. SO try it! Good Luck

I am a little bit lost. Having no experiences at all in the US educational system. I havent even met a student who got accepted at these Schools. I am all by myself in this process, from a country where not many plan to go to Graduate School in the US. So I was just wondering if anyone have any advice or even a personal experience on how this Programs Admission process works, specially towards International Students.

I am confident that I can make a great application, I have been top of my class in every school I have attended in my country, I think I got great GRE scores (specially Verbal which I didnt expected) and, most importantly, I have a clear interest into what I want to study and why I am applying to those programs. I dont have a lot or work experience but Ive been working for a year now in a position related to Engineering Management.

I think I just need someone with actual experience in this process to help me focus my expectations.

I am a little bit lost. Having no experiences at all in the US educational system. I havent even met a student who got accepted at these Schools. I am all by myself in this process, from a country where not many plan to go to Graduate School in the US. So I was just wondering if anyone have any advice or even a personal experience on how this Programs Admission process works, specially towards International Students.

I am confident that I can make a great application, I have been top of my class in every school I have attended in my country, I think I got great GRE scores (specially Verbal which I didnt expected) and, most importantly, I have a clear interest into what I want to study and why I am applying to those programs. I dont have a lot or work experience but Ive been working for a year now in a position related to Engineering Management.

I think I just need someone with actual experience in this process to help me focus my expectations.

George,

Soy de República Dominicana y también he estado solo en el proceso. Pues ha sido bien difícil por la misma situación tuya. Pero en fin, me esta yendo mejor. I am applying for a Masters in Structural Engineering with a similar profile as yours: International student, with great GPA, class rank, etc. I just received an acceptance from UIUC, so if u want more information just add me on skype guishediaz or email me to diazfanas@gmail.com Good Luck and I ll be waiting for your response if you need any help!

George,

Soy de República Dominicana y también he estado solo en el proceso. Pues ha sido bien difícil por la misma situación tuya. Pero en fin, me esta yendo mejor. I am applying for a Masters in Structural Engineering with a similar profile as yours: International student, with great GPA, class rank, etc. I just received an acceptance from UIUC, so if u want more information just add me on skype guishediaz or email me to diazfanas@gmail.com Good Luck and I ll be waiting for your response if you need any help!

Vaya Guille gracias por la ayuda te estare escribiendo entonces.

Me dices que quedaste en Ilinois Urbana, para que período?

Que otras Universidades aplicaste?

I would say it is ok to have a few safety schools. However, let me suggest you Gatech. Their program is very very good in your field and having urs stats, I am 95% sure they are accepting uoy. It is top 3 ranked in CEE Masters program. SO try it! Good Luck

I checked the website of Gatech and it looks pretty good. However, I couldnt find and Engineering Management or Construction Management Program. Is there any program that you were suggesting?

No te fastidio mas! sorry

I checked the website of Gatech and it looks pretty good. However, I couldnt find and Engineering Management or Construction Management Program. Is there any program that you were suggesting?

No te fastidio mas! sorry

JAjajajaja! no t preocupes! So this is the link to their Construction program: http://www.ce.gatech.edu/research/const

It is widely known across the country and it is not hard to get in with your profile. Hmmmm.... on the other hand, NO ME ESTAS MOLESTANDO!!!! It is a pleasure to me!

I applied for Spring 2012 To Vtech, UIUC, Gatech and Texas at Austin (Waiting for first three on their funding decision since I alredy got the acceptance letter and waiting for UTexas admissions/funding letter). Feel free to contact me anytime. It can be through facebook http://www.facebook.com/guishe88 or any other way you would like.

I am still confused about the Gatech Program. Why does it appear under the RESEARCH tab and it is not mention in the Graduate Programs?. I am not clear if it is a Master Science Degree, the layout of the website is a little bit confusing... Although I checked the brochure and the courses are pretty much what I am looking for.

I am still confused about the Gatech Program. Why does it appear under the RESEARCH tab and it is not mention in the Graduate Programs?. I am not clear if it is a Master Science Degree, the layout of the website is a little bit confusing... Although I checked the brochure and the courses are pretty much what I am looking for.

I found it, forget about it